It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Python-Fu Menupath and Documentation Question
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:34 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I have been trying to teach myself how to write Gimp scripts/plug-ins using Python-Fu (and trying to learn some python along the way, as well).

I have been using the GIMP Python Documentation and a few online tutorials that I have found - Extending Gimp with Python (which is listed on Gimp Chat's GIMP Script Writing Resources thread), Use Python to write plug-ins for GIMP, and Gimp plugins with Python-fu.

According to the GIMP Python Documentation:

Quote:
The parameters to register are:

name

blurb

help

author

copyright

date

menupath

imagetypes

params

results

function

Most of these parameters are quite self explanatory. The menupath option should start with <Image>;/ for image plug-ins and <Toolbox>/ for toolbox plug-ins. The remainder of the menupath is a slash separated path to its menu item.
The above linked tutorials are consistent with the above.

However, when I was trying to solve an issue that I was having with registering a python plug-in (see my post Python Scripts not Registering in Gimp 2.8), I came across the following posts on other support sites that referenced a plug-in's menu path in the register call differently from the way it was done in the GIMP Python Documentation or the above linked tutorials:

Duplicating a layer (Python plug-in) on Gimp Forums
Attempting to Write Python Plugin and Failing Miserably on Gimp Forums
Gimp: why can't I register this? on stackoverflow

These links indicate that the menu path and the menu name should be separated, with the menu path being the last parameter listed for "register." The stackoverflow link says:

Quote:
...putting the menu path along with the script menu name is deprecated in GIMP - the correct way to do it is, after the "date" parameter, pass just the name that should show in the menu...and pass the menu path as a named parameter, at the end of the call....

Apparently, either was must work since my python plug-ins based on the materials I first linked seem to work.

My question is: Is there updated documentation on this and other aspects of python-fu? If so, where can I find that documentation? I was thinking that maybe that documentation would have other info that might be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help. :tyspin

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Python-Fu Menupath and Documentation Question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:31 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

I can't say I know of any more recent documentation.

"Deprecated" just means the GIMP developers want you to use the new method, because they will eventually stop the old method from working, but it's OK to use it now.

I'll guess the reasoning behind separating the menu label from the menu path is down to language translation, which neatly leads into your question on the GIMP registry site: http://registry.gimp.org/node/27652

The leading underscores are there to mark strings that are suitable for language translation, see Esper's thread about translating to German: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5648

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:27 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

paynekj wrote:
I'll guess the reasoning behind separating the menu label from the menu path is down to language translation, which neatly leads into your question on the GIMP registry site: http://registry.gimp.org/node/27652

The leading underscores are there to mark strings that are suitable for language translation, see Esper's thread about translating to German: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5648

Kevin

Thanks! What significance do the parentheses surrounding "Input Directory" have:

(PF_DIRNAME, "indirectory", _("Input Directory"), os.getcwd() ),

Thanks for your patience with this noob! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:52 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

The quotes around "Input Directory" makes it a single entity, not either Input or Directory.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:20 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

What about the parentheses (brackets) in ---> ("Input Directory") ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:43 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Think of the brackets as a box, in the box you have two items, Input and Directory. If you don't have parentheses a selector will not see them as an entity, it will see them separately.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:14 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you!