It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help with python
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:55 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello everyone,
I am using the 2.8 and previous gimps due to the impossibility of running gimp 2.9 and up in the computer, windows installed does not support those. In these gimps the python~fu does not work, in 2.8 and 2.7 I can only use the pre built ones and it does not matter what I do, the new I try to install do not work. Is there a way to turn the pytho~fu to script~fu?
I am not a program freak, so when someone talks to me about compilation and the such it is like I am listening to an alien talking, I am sure it is not hard but I am an ignorant with that.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Need help with python
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:41 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

For help, we need to know what your computer is, 32 or 64bit, and what version of windows you have?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:52 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

There's no reason why python-fu doesn't work. When I had windows, python-fu always worked with any gimp version.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:14 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

Using a python-fu on Windows just requires to put it on the right folder/directory. No compilation necessary.

The things to watch for:

- python-fu are technically plugins and not scripts, so they go in the "plug-ins" folder (not the "scripts" one)
- Windows or you browser can add a ".txt" extension to the file name during the downloda, and this makes Gimp ignore it. Make sure your file explorer shows all file extensions.
- If you edit the python-fu with the usual windows editors, they can change things in the file (like replacing tabs with spaces, etc). Python is very picky, so make sure you use an unadulterated version of the file.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:39 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Information missing:
I use two machines now, the other one is not available at the moment.
One is linux with gimp 2.8.14, I have placed the pythons in the plugins folder without success.
The other one is windows 2000 with portable gimps (2.7.3 and 2.6 down), same thing.
Both are 32 bits.
I know that this is not as advanced, but since the other machine is not working right now, I have to use what I have. And in general terms they do work, it is just some minor things as the pythons and such.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:25 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

If you put python on the Linux, you have to change the file properties to be executable.
for chmod +x filename in a terminal window.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:43 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

trandoductin wrote:
If you put python on the Linux, you have to change the file properties to be executable.
for chmod +x filename in a terminal window.

Yes for the executable bit, but any decent file manager will let you change the flag:

(Dolphin).

On OSX the situation is different, The Book Of Saint Steve says: "The User shall not know what happens under the Sacred Hood, lest he could break the Holy Bits and interfere with the Sanctified User Experience", so the OSX file manager has to provision to change the Evil Flags.