It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gimp-comment parasite in Python
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:27 pm  (#1) 

I'm writing a Python plugin to help my workflow in creating animated gifs. Basically, it merges the layer groups into single layer frames and incorporates background layers into those layers. I've read that I can add a comment to the give by creating a 'gimp-comment' parasite. What is missing is actually where to attach the parasite. I first tried adding it to the new image I created and it didn't work. I tried adding it globally and it didn't work either.

After running the plug in, I open the new gif file and look at the image properties and go to the comment tab and it is always blank.

Does anyone have a pointer to some code that works for sure on GIMP 2.10.14?

Also, FYI, I do know that pdb.file_gif_save2 takes a URI, which means the filename must start with "file://" in order for exporting to gif. I am able to export just fine, but I would really like to have a comment in the gif that says "Created by XYZ plugin..." or some such.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: gimp-comment parasite in Python
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:48 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

See if this helps https://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=542&p=3742

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:24 pm  (#3) 

Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing I found online about this subject and it doesn't work.

I am curious why that poster uses gimp.parasite_attach() instead of pdb.gimp_parasite_attach(). I did try both methods for global and image parasites, and none of the four ways worked.

So, looking further, it seems the call to pdb.file_gif_save2() is the bit not honoring the comment. When I do everything except export to gif, then manually export to gif via the GUI, the comment I added programmatically is added to the gif file.

I wonder if it has to do with the call to gimp.displays_flush(). I'll try adding that, even though I am not displaying the exported gif.

SPOILER ALERT: Just tested and unfortunately flushing does NOT change the outcome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:30 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

Unfortunately I can only confirm this. Just reported as a bug.