It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are "we" ready for Python 3?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:24 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

(By "we" I mean the Gimp/Gimp Chat community.) I happened to be reading some old posts in the ConkyWeather thread on Ubuntu forums this morning and suddenly became aware that there is such a thing as Python 3. I checked at python.org and found that Python 2.7 is the last release in the Python 2 series. I'm generally in favor of upgrades, but I discovered that some things that ran on Python 2 may not run on Python 3. What got my attention is that Ubuntu considered dropping Python 2 in favor of Python 3 in Maverick, but has apparently put that off until (at least) Natty. This is something that would affect those of us on Ubuntu-based distros, while a general move to Python 3 in Gimp would naturally affect all Gimp users, regardless of their OS.

I'm not very familiar with Python, but I do know that there are those here who are. What's the scoop? Are the python plugins going to have to be re-written? This isn't exactly mission critical at the moment, but eventually it is going to become an issue.

I'd like to see some discussion, if it is agreeable to all.

Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Are "we" ready for Python 3?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:51 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

i believe gimp is not ready.

maybe would be not needed to rewrite any of the plugin but only to update the binding (correct term ? i mean the interface between gimp and pyton )

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:28 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP for Windows w.r.t. Python is way outdated. Works for what I need it for, but still, they patched a lot of security holes since the version that I use for GIMP compatibility has been released. We demand support (as I bang my fork and spoon at the dining room table). lol

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:46 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

That would really suck if i had to re-download all new re-written Py plug-ins...lol.
I probably would though. =)