Switch to full style
Post all Gimp scripts and script writing questions here
Post a reply

which kind of Photoshop plugins can run via pspi.exe?

Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:04 am

I have installed pspi.exe and some 8bf-files for my Gimp 2.8 on Windows.

I found only 'colors->Chromatic Aberration' can run. but the preview is too small

for the rest 8bf files, there are 3 cases.
1. case 1, nothing appears or changes when I choose them
2. case 2, pspi.exe crashes immediately
3. case 3, for example, "metalwork" shows a dialog, but the preview is empty, and if I try to change any value by dragging, pspi.exe stops to crash

So, which kind of 8bf is suitable for pspi? Thanks

Re: which kind of Photoshop plugins can run via pspi.exe?

Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:21 am

a lot of PS filters work on my PC, some do not, but I don't know whether there is a specific rule to distinguish in advance among them, I try and put away those which do not run, a very trivial behaviour, I know...

Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:53 am

Caveat. I am using linux here, and very few .8bf work these days.

Had to pull metalwork.8bf out of my archives but it is one that does work.
No preview until the sliders are moved and the display refreshes, but that causes a crash on your machine.

This is one of 'toadies' plugins and many reports of problems with it in Windows - maybe registry errors.

The plugins that do work are often made with Adobe FilterFactory and collections found on sites such as http://punkinstuff.tripod.com/ not all links working these days.

Preview is small, AFAIK no real way around that.
An alternative to pspi is userfilter, same small preview but you can zoom in and move the zoom window around.

Another and possibly the best alternative is the gimp plugin ShellOut to start up Xnview which has better support for .8bf filters.

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:28 pm

A screen shot of those i have working in GIMP-2.8.14 through PSPI. :)

I should also add Impressionist to that list.Though a fix is needed to get this one working.
http://registry.gimp.org/node/22324

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:37 pm

But with a little work you can get it working in GIMP also. :)
With transparency you will have to flatten the image first.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:48 am

conbagui wrote:I cannot get any of the PS filters to work anymore. I don't know what happened, I haven't done anything to my system lately. The plugins just don't work. The only way I can get them to work is with Xnview. Any help?

I place all my 8BF filters in their own separate folders and create paths to those folders via PSPI path dialog window. Any dll files included with plug-ins should be placed in the windows/system folder.

Example of my PSPI setup.

C:\Users\Rod\Desktop\FILES\8BF\Impressionist

Keep in mind as i said before some plug-ins will not initiate correctly with pspirc. Rob has found the fix for this by adding a simple bit of code to the rc file in the correct position. See the link i posted for that above. In addition when you add any NEW plug-ins add ONE at a time to see if they are compatible.This makes it easier to check for those that aren't.
If you own FilterMeister http://www.filtermeister.com/ (which will run in GIMP), and can create your own 8BF executable's they will also work in GIMP. FilterMeister now creates 32 and 64 bit 8bf plug-ins simultaneously thanks to Alex.
http://www.filtermeister.com/wiki/index ... +in+FM+1.0

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:33 am

this is my actual list of the 8bf filters working on my vista32bit
Andrews Filters
FiltersFactory
Sandflowers
bkgKaleidoscope
Almathera
Texturizer
Xero
Andromeda
AAA Filters Options
Mehdi (partial)

still I am testing...

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:58 pm

Marcello wrote:this is my actual list of the 8bf filters working on my vista32bit
Andrews Filters
FiltersFactory
Sandflowers
bkgKaleidoscope
Almathera
Texturizer
Xero
Andromeda
AAA Filters Options
Mehdi (partial)

still I am testing...

Sandflowers? Can you tell me where you obtained this filter or provide me with a download link? All i can find are the FFX files.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:20 am

All filter factory filters will not work w/ PSPI (believe it got broken with 2.6.8 release of GIMP; memory's fuzzy now, but fortunately, we have the user filter that does and you can use the User Filter to convert filter factory 8bf's to GUF files and then run them inside User Filter). Most 8bfs that have their own built in gui will work in PSPI (but not all). I know my answer is very generic; sorry about that. Just wish someone would or could fixed PSPI so it would work with Filter Factory filters again. :)

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Sandflowers? Can you tell me where you obtained this filter or provide me with a download link? All i can find are the FFX files.

Rod
are these?

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:40 pm

Marcello wrote:this is my actual list of the 8bf filters working on my vista32bit
Andrews Filters
FiltersFactory
Sandflowers
bkgKaleidoscope
Almathera
Texturizer
Xero
Andromeda
AAA Filters Options
Mehdi (partial)

still I am testing...

1st updating
Flaming Pear(Freebies)
Dragon Fly ( Sinedot, Sinedot2)
Richardroseman
Rendu (only Eclarage)
Fotomatic
DCfilters5(partial)

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:00 pm

Marcello wrote:
Andrews Filters
FiltersFactory
Sandflowers
bkgKaleidoscope
Almathera
Texturizer
Xero
Andromeda
AAA Filters Options
Mehdi (partial)

still I am testing...

1st updating
Flaming Pear(Freebies)
Richardroseman
Rendu (only Eclarage)
Fotomatic
DCfilters5(partial)

more info

1. I can use Andrews Filter Collection (from 1 to 62), Filter Factory Gallery (A to V) and Sandflowers using FILTERS UNLIMITED 2.0 ; so they are ffx files

2. I tested USERFILTER ( GIMP FILTER FACTORY CONVERTER ) from PhotoComiX Deviart site but I received this error

somebody know the solution?

memo:Vista 32bit

Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:04 am

Marcello wrote:
Marcello wrote:
Andrews Filters
FiltersFactory
Sandflowers
bkgKaleidoscope
Almathera
Texturizer
Xero
Andromeda
AAA Filters Options
Mehdi (partial)

still I am testing...

1st updating
Flaming Pear(Freebies)
Richardroseman
Rendu (only Eclarage)
Fotomatic
DCfilters5(partial)

more info

1. I can use Andrews Filter Collection (from 1 to 62), Filter Factory Gallery (A to V) and Sandflowers using FILTERS UNLIMITED 2.0 ; so they are ffx files

2. I tested USERFILTER ( GIMP FILTER FACTORY CONVERTER ) from PhotoComiX Deviart site but I received this error
[ Image ]

somebody know the solution?

memo:Vista 32bit

I have not been able to get Userfilter to work with 64 bit GIMP-2.8.14. I am not sure about 32 bit.
Thanks for the info on Filters Unlimited though! :) :bigthup
Works excellent.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:31 am

Aha! I was able to get it going using Sams Userfilter 64 bit. Sweet! Now i need some filters. :)

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:45 am

Rod wrote:Aha! I was able to get it going using Sams Userfilter 64 bit. Sweet! Now i need some filters. :)

Photocomix package contains 1557 of them

http://photocomix-resources.deviantart. ... -101851042

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:47 am

rich2005 wrote:
Rod wrote:Aha! I was able to get it going using Sams Userfilter 64 bit. Sweet! Now i need some filters. :)

Photocomix package contains 1557 of them

http://photocomix-resources.deviantart. ... -101851042

Didn't we have to do something special to gimprc to get the filters to show in the filter dialog?

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:25 am

Rod wrote:Thanks for the info on Filters Unlimited though! :) :bigthup
Works excellent.

maybe you already know but

the little black square on the left (1) means that there are have some presets (2) click on preset and you will open the preset list (3) double click to choose

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:11 am

Marcello wrote:

Rod
are these?

Where is Sams Userfilter for 64 bit? Is it available for download?

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:31 pm

I tried running the AAA Frames (Frame Works) and I get an error message saying that it's not compatible and I need Filter Meister: Image

I also get the same error when I try to run AAA Frames (Texture Frame), AAA Filters (AAA Multi-Filter, Color Blur, Foto Fix, Granularity, Median 3x3, Media Daubs, Median Smooth, Scatter, Smooth Operator, Transparent Vignette #2, & Twees Frame) & finally, (Neology Filter Pack - TV-Mania)

This is what I mean by Transparent Vignette #2:

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:38 pm

Is there a 64 bit version of Filter Meister available?
Post a reply