Switch to full style
Post all Gimp scripts and script writing questions here
Post a reply

gegl makes a simple starburst

Mon May 30, 2022 10:23 pm

I recommend using another open source application called "pixelitor" for making starburst. It has a very high quality starburst filter that is way better then mine.
Neitherless GEGL can now make a simple starburst using my new filter.
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/gegl-starburst

Re: gegl makes a simple starburst

Mon May 30, 2022 10:29 pm

Like for real this is my filter GEGL Filter. But there is hope for new filters. A gimp dev I am friends with *may port a anisotropic smoothing filter to GEGL. No guarantees but if it happens I will update the forum. Unlike my filters that just chain existing filters, his filter will require telling GEGL to do actual math.

Tue May 31, 2022 7:39 pm

Hi contrast
I'm glad you spent a month or two showing Gimpers how to use GEGL. Some of the effects could be achieved by other methods (like G'MIC). But GEGL is powerful and there is more to come for sure.

With GimpChat there are a lot of views but not so many comments. That means not many active participants at any one time.

Here is a script I made inspired by you that converts an animation folder of PNGs into a neon lights animation.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
mkdir ./done
for i in *.png
do
gegl $i -o ./done/$i -- bloom threshold=2 strength=350 edge-neon radius=1 amount=5 softglow glow-radius=0.1 brightness=0.1
done

The animation started as a Mandelbulber 3D fractal animation.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:27 pm

GEGL Starburst got a major update. It is now based on Kalidescope, (as opposed to polar-coordinates and checkerboard). It has more user friendly options, and is now movable with an on canvas option.

Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:53 am

Sweet! I like this version.

Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:42 pm

contrast_ wrote:I recommend using another open source application called "pixelitor" for making starburst. It has a very high quality starburst filter that is way better then mine.

And compared to G'MIC (Patterns >> Rays) how does it do?

Anyway, it would be nice if your filter is implemented in GIMP by default :bigthup

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:39 pm

Version for Gimp-2.10.30 Win 64 bit attached.
In menu: Tools➤GEGL Operation➤Starburst

Place the file in gegl plugins in a directory: C:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Local\gegl-0.4\plug-ins

starburst.zip
(37.8 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:30 pm

GMIC's starburst can't even change colors correctly.
Pixelitor has the best starburst of anything in FOSS. Mine beats GMIC and comes in second place to Pixelitor.

Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:20 pm

contrast_ wrote:GMIC's starburst can't even change colors correctly.
Pixelitor has the best starburst of anything in FOSS. Mine beats GMIC and comes in second place to Pixelitor.

There is a starburst generator, online, that cranks out svg files along with png's. Interesting enough, it's easy to crank out a radial burst gear shape using paths to accomplish the same feat. The generator does a good job on making the starbursts, just have the control menus too close to the bottom of the website, making it hard to make selections.

Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:22 pm

In version 2, I miss the possibility of obtaining small (thin) rays (the same width for the two colors).
Well, that's possible in version 1 - but you can't use them at the same time.

About G'mic:
... "Starburst GMIC cannot even change colors correctly".. - in G'mic Lights & Shadows ➤ Guided Light Rays there is no problem with that when you select a Blend Mode. No problem with that Patterns ➤ Rays.

Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:39 pm

Starburst updated and it now can remove an original color to only have rays.

starburst_now_transparent.png
starburst_now_transparent.png (148.38 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

Also, I went out of my way to clarify Starburst code to make it as elegant as possible so people can study and learn from it.
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/gegl-sta ... tarburst.c

Windows and Linux Binaries here.
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/gegl-sta ... /Starburst

Directory to Put Binaries (THEY DO NOT GO IN THE NORMAL LOCATION)

Windows

C:\Users\(USERNAME)\AppData\Local\gegl-0.4\plug-ins

Linux
/home/(USERNAME)/.local/share/gegl-0.4/plug-ins

Linux (Flatpak includes Chromebook)

/home/(USERNAME)/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/data/gegl-0.4/plug-ins
Post a reply