Switch to full style
Post all Gimp scripts and script writing questions here
Post a reply

Can anyone get G'mic to run on Gmip 2.10.34 on Mac 14.0

Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:04 am

Greetings--
I am trying to get G'mic to run on Gimp 2.10.34 my Macbook Pro running MacOS 14.0 Sonoma.
I just tried the instructions on MacPort but after about 8 hours of installation G'mic still didn't appear in Gimp.
Has anyone had any success with G'mic on a Mac recently?
Thanks for you help--
Peter
EDIT--I tried to install it using MacPorts but it is not in GIMP's Plug-in folder. I try running reinstall with MacPorts and it says that it is already installed. I cannot find Gmic, G'mic or gmic on my Mac anywhere!

Re: Can anyone get G'mic to run on Gmip 2.10.34 on Mac 14.0

Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:32 pm

This from the G'MIC download page.

I think it would be hard for a non-expert to install on a Mac.

Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:39 pm

Thank-you Taz-mania for your contribution--
Hard it may be, I will do it.
Peter

Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:08 pm

petedecember wrote:Thank-you Taz-mania for your contribution--
Hard it may be, I will do it.
Peter

If you do it successfully could you share it, or how you did it?

Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:42 am

Of course I will, Patrice--
I am still slugging away at it. I will keep you posted, although if anyone knows any tips please let me know!
Peter

Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:59 pm

petedecember wrote:Of course I will, Patrice--
I am still slugging away at it. I will keep you posted, although if anyone knows any tips please let me know!
Peter

My cynical response might be, buy an old laptop, install and run linux ;)

However I do compile (sometimes) my own gimp_gmic_qt plugin for linux and it is not difficult but there are some quirks. It does need several development library installations, listed on www.gmic.eu , which probably need a separate compile in MacOS but then..

For linux, running the Makefile (make) in gmic-3.3.2_pre/src/ compiles all options 'lib','cli','gimp','gmic_qt','libc','zart' which takes forever-and-a-day.

Running make gimp compiles the standalone gimp_gmic_qt plugin - the one that goes in your Gimp user plug-ins folder. Still takes 15 minutes to compile but that is linux.

The only known Mac pre-made sources, Partha and alferrero have vanished (I hope they are ok)

I do hope you manage to get something working, it is a great utility. Is there not a MacOS community which can give advice ? Must be one somewhere. A sad reflection on Apple.

Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:35 pm

Thanks, Anti-Sig Sig--
I just wrote a long answer to your post but this board lost it somehow! Sorry, but this one will be shorter:
I have a Linux Mint machine I love, but I want it to run on this 2022 Mac graphics-powerhouse I bought.
I think that MacPorts did some sort of a "makefile" because it took 8 hours to compile.
If you see or hear anything that could help, please post it!
Thank-you--
Peter
Post a reply