Switch to full style
Post all Gimp scripts and script writing questions here
Post a reply

Islamic Designs scm's

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Don't know what you would use them for but their kinda cool looking. :)

download them here.
http://registry.gimp.org/node/24948

Re: Islamic Designs scm's

Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:22 pm

Rod wrote:Don't know what you would use them for but their kinda cool looking.

I don't know what to use them for either. Interesting. If I knew anything about Islam, perhaps I'd know better what to do with them.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:27 pm

Oregonian wrote:
Rod wrote:Don't know what you would use them for but their kinda cool looking.

I don't know what to use them for either. Interesting. If I knew anything about Islam, perhaps I'd know better what to do with them.

Islam , as some Cristian groups in the past, forbid the representation of God , and of whatever God may have created

Now this is usually enforced only within the Holy places, but is the reason why Islam visual art was focused on decoration , decorative patterns, and calligraphic artworks and why they excelled in that fields

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:34 pm

and you can do whatever you like with that

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:53 pm

PhotoComix wrote:Islam , as some Cristian groups in the past, forbid the representation of God , and of whatever God may have created
Now this is usually enforced only within the Holy places, but is the reason why Islam visual art was focused on decoration , decorative patterns, and calligraphic artworks and why they excelled in that fields
Now those designs make perfect sense.

Thank you for your explanation, PhotoComix. :hi5

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:53 pm

Just as a slightly related topic, I like Taprats and it does a pretty good job at creating variations to this theme. :)

http://taprats.sourceforge.net/

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:04 pm

I learn something new every day! Learning about different cultures and religions is a good thing!

Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:38 am

Thanks PC for the info. Well O they sure do glitter nicely! =)

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:33 pm

Hi Mr. Rod
Few days ago I posted this image in Metal and Glass post. Today by chance I came across you this old post.
Islamic Design GT BEVEL.jpg
Islamic Design GT BEVEL.jpg (57.28 KiB) Viewed 5066 times

But I also like you plastic-frame like effect. Would you kindly mention the filters/tools used in your design manipulation.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:27 am

Wish I had seem this thread earlier - took me ages to get the paths right for this one; took a few liberties with it in the end and diverged from the style somewhat -

Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:23 pm

cool images! I'm definitely going to have a go at this.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:45 pm

There are more files for islamic design. The only thing, I don't like is that the Islamic-Design and the islamic-pattern11 tabs stretch out the workspace. Is there a way to improve the script so the work space isn't so large? I really like the scripts and I had removed them from my scripts folder once before because of the distortion of my workspace. Sadly, I am not a coder so I wouldn't know what to do to improve on the problem. Is there someone willing to improve the problem? I would really like to use the scripts, but I can't.

Edit: New post here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=942&start=20
Thanks Rod! :)

Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:08 pm

Rashid wrote:Hi Mr. Rod
Few days ago I posted this image in Metal and Glass post. Today by chance I came across you this old post.
Islamic Design GT BEVEL.jpg

But I also like you plastic-frame like effect. Would you kindly mention the filters/tools used in your design manipulation.

Sure I can tell you. I used glossy 3d stroke. It's another filter add-on. Just search it here at Gimp Chat. I am on my cell right now so I can't attach it here at the moment. You could probably also use Graechan shine filter also available here.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:22 pm

Rod's script plus some galvanised iron BRL then some GMIC magic ...you just gotta love GIMP -

Thank you for the script Rod :clap

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:03 pm

The Islamic tiles are called Girih tiles and there is a Wikipedia article on them.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:04 pm

I think the scripts name in today's atmosphere is it's problem

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:23 am

Hi Mr. Oldmangrumpy
Your last two metallaic designs are really close to reality in their metallic look and have clear details. Wonderful.

Hi Mr. Greachan
Excellent manipulation.

I have tried to use 'Frame Factory' script and it has produced wonderful results.
Frame Factory.png
Frame Factory.png (611.75 KiB) Viewed 2432 times

Initially I tried to give Chrome Effect to Islamic Calligraphy but then made it translucent to give it plastic effect. I don't know that whether I am successful. Background desing is painted glass effect which I have already posted in this forum.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:57 am

Didn't see this one before. Tried and couldn't make it out then I saw it was using the brush I had selected before :oops: Will try another one later.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:05 am

Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:52 pm

Is there a coder here willing to look at my post (#12) and improve the scripts to where the work space users are using, isn't distorted? I'd really like to use the scripts but I can't.
Post a reply