It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Would appreciate some help please
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:23 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.2
Operating System: Windows Home Edition
OS Version: 7 64bit
GIMP Experience: Extreme Beginner Level

I'm converting a huge number (100's soon to be 1000's) of textures manually and thought there might be a script to help me but couldn't locate anything. I thought I might be able to write one myself but after looking at some examples and tutorials I'm more confused now than ever.

All I need the script to do is open a directory of jpegs, apply a color level of 25 and then apply 2 clicks of the paint bucket in overlay mode color 255, 246, 212 and then save the jpeg file with a _LM added to the end of the original file name. I'd like to be able to change the level # if I need too and the number of clicks of the paint bucket. Sometimes 2 isn't quite enough. Maybe this isn't possible. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks fellas
-Kevin

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Would appreciate some help please
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:11 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

What do you mean by "apply a color level of 25"? Specifically, which menu command are you using and what parameter are you changing?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:59 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

When you want to use several clicks, is this because you want the whole image covered, or because there are several "islands" of the same color to process?

Since you are a beginner, there is also a strong chance that you are not looking at the problem the right way, and that there is a much better (and efficient) solution somewhere else, so why don't you tell us the story from the beginning, possibly with sample before/after images?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:34 am  (#4) 

Ok. Thanks for the responses and I'll try to answer the best I can.

I am making a freeware scenery for FSX. I'm using google sketchup models(with permission of course) for this project (16 of them). This process is making the night textures for these models.

I first open the normal (Daytime) file

I then go Colors -> Levels -> Output level -> 25 (I have this set as a preset "Nighttime" so I don't have to adjust the slide each time.
I then select Bucket fill, set the mode to Overlay and set the color to 255, 245, 212
I then double click on the image to get this result

I then export the file out with the same file name but add _LM to the end so that the model knows there is a night texture.

These textures are various shapes and sizes if that helps any.

That's it. After I posted last night I did another 200 of these manually and I'm just getting started. Some of these models have 300 textures that need made and I think I have 5 of the 16 models finished. I just figured, or hoped there was an easier way. I had also hoped that since the process is the same for each texture in a directory that somehow I could batch that folder. That's what led me here.

I hope I explained this well enough. If you have any other questions I will answer them the best I can.

Thanks again
-Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:26 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

Try this script (click on the "Download" link at the top of the page). It adds a command under "Filters->Misc->Hootyhoo" that attempts to perform what you describe.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:37 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

Hmmm. So you process the whole image. This doesn't explain why you want to "click" several times? You can have the bucket-fill apply to the selection, which is the whole layer when nothing is selected. In fact, instead of using the bucket fill in overlay mode, you can also add a new layer, fill it with that color, and put that layer in overlay mode.

You use of "Levels" eludes me, there are 5 parameters (3 handle positions for input, and two for output) so I don't see which one you change (without getting a pitch dark image).

However, given the number of images to process, you should have a look at Imagemagick, where you could use either the -cdl or the -clut options. As I understand it the "clut" is really a reference image from a gradient, so you can apply your processing to a black to white gradient, and extract each channel as a clut for Imagemagick. The helpful folks at the ImageMagick forum will certainly give you more help for this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:14 pm  (#7) 

saulgoode wrote:
Try this script (click on the "Download" link at the top of the page). It adds a command under "Filters->Misc->Hootyhoo" that attempts to perform what you describe.

Thank you so much, it's perfect! You have no idea the number of hours, even days you have saved me. I compared the output from the script to the some of ones I have already completed and they are identical. I have been working on these from around 5pm every evening until 1-2am for the last 5 days. You sir have no idea how much you have helped me.

Thanks again....I appreciate it so much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:16 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I have no need for this script, but am tempted to download it just so I can have a filter called "hootyhoo"!