It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Script Modification Help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:03 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi,
I'm looking for help to modify a script. Eg-SmartSeparateSharpen.scm
I am used to the Eg-Smart Redux Sharpen functionality, but this new script seems to do a better job. The one thing I liked about the old script is that it would give you a single layer overlay mask that you could adjust the transparency on which would allow to adjust the level of sharpness. This new script gives 4 separate overlay layers, or flattens the image only. Neither of which is ideal for me as I can't see myself adjusting the transparency of the layers separately, or very rarely. As it is now, I have to take the 4 layers and make new from visible to get the single layer to adjust.

So ideally, I love to see an option in the dialog to merge the sharpened layers in to a single layer, or no option at all and just make it the default functionality. Then if I need to adjust separately, I could just keep a copy of the original script.

If I could really dream I'd also add options to allow trimming the border of the mask. (Grow Amount & Feather Amount)
I use this filter a lot on rendered images and the sharpening makes the edges very jagged. So I end up doing
Alpha to Selection
Invert Selection
Grow Selection (usually by 1)
Feather Selection (usually by 3)
Delete

This leaves my edges nice and smooth while sharpening everything else.

I contacted the authors of the original script,
Martin Egger (martin.egger@gmx.net), Michael Kolodny (m_kolodny@phreego.com)
to ask if they minded me getting help publicly to modify the script and both replied saying it was no problem at all.
Offtopic :
Hi

as the script is published under GPL, there is no problem at all to modify it.

Just include the original copyright information when you plan to publish it again.

Best regards, Martin

Is anyone interested in the challenge, or helping me figure out how I could go about doing it? I've done some small scripts before, but this might be out of my reach without some guidance.
Thanks for your consideration.
Akovia

Attachments:
Eg-SmartSeparateSharpen.scm [6.17 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Script Modification Help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:37 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

akovia wrote:
So ideally, I love to see an option in the dialog to merge the sharpened layers in to a single layer, or no option at all and just make it the default functionality. Then if I need to adjust separately, I could just keep a copy of the original script.

If I could really dream I'd also add options to allow trimming the border of the mask. (Grow Amount & Feather Amount)
I use this filter a lot on rendered images and the sharpening makes the edges very jagged. So I end up doing
Alpha to Selection
Invert Selection
Grow Selection (usually by 1)
Feather Selection (usually by 3)
Delete

This leaves my edges nice and smooth while sharpening everything else.
i cant help you with the script, but if you want to render stuff and get the edges blurred a bit, thats exactly what G'MIC Split Object can do

its a very very good script for rendering !!

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7917

Post subject: Re: Script Modification Help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:57 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Esper wrote:
i cant help you with the script, but if you want to render stuff and get the edges blurred a bit, thats exactly what G'MIC Split Object can do

its a very very good script for rendering !!

http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7917

Looks very interesting :)
I do almost all my renders by hand with the path tool. If that's not possible I use various techniques depending on the image and then tune them by hand. Every time I try some automated proccess I end up spending more time fiddling with it to get the results I want when it is quicker for me to bite the bullet and just attack it by hand from the begining. If I was smart enough to figure out how to make all the controls feel intuitive I might have better luck, but I always seem to end up frustrated and doing it by hand in the long run anyway :P

Thanks for the tip though. I just love GMIC and still haven't even scratched the surface of all it can do.
Cheers!