It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: hejian's text-font plugin [Win64bit & Linux the c-file is included
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:42 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan can you edit your script to center the font on the image layer? It doesn't seem to be doing that.

Post subject: Re: hejian's text-font plugin [Win64bit & Linux the c-file is included
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:22 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Founder

@Graechan - Been looking over the plug-in. Reading the C code is not the problem. Figuring out how C plug-ins interface with GIMP is where the learning curve is. It doesn't look too bad, though. It is something I'm interested in pursuing.

There's some pretty good "getting started" info here.
http://developer.gimp.org/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:26 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for sharing ideas and solutions !

According to me - Gimp version 2.8. ? - This functionality has been enabled ( and expanded) - so I guess so - further development was abandoned ...

This plugin ( in this version ) offers only more fonts in the preview - is not enough.
If it were possible to add more features ( the script or plugin ) - it's my wish list would be very long:

Step 1 (the most important ) :
At any layer ( context menu ) creates a text layer - with the fields :
- Text (to be introduced )
- Font name
- Font size ;
- Font color ;
- Position.
..........................................................................................................................
Step 2 .. 3 .. 4 ( a lot of ideas - but it does not matter without the implementation of step 1 )
..........................................................................................................................
Last step - check the look for different fonts (call text- font.exe )

Attachments:
Test of possibility 1.png
Test of possibility 1.png [ 189.79 KiB | Viewed 1562 times ]
Test of possibility 2.png
Test of possibility 2.png [ 183.02 KiB | Viewed 1562 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:39 pm  (#14) 
Script Coder

Thank you to all who helped with composing the plugin

Post subject: Re: hejian's text-font plugin [Windows & Linux the c-file is included]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:17 am  (#15) 
Script Coder

I have updated the zip to include the correct plugin for your particular operating system
another thank you to all who assisted in this endeavor
I have also tested the plugin in a simple script

Post subject: Re: hejian's text-font plugin [Windows & Linux the c-file is included]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:23 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Founder

Graechan,

I've modified the C plug-in to add the functionality you requested. The plug-in will now make the selected font active and outputs a message.

You will need to compile it for Windows.

I'm attaching the updated source code and the binary for Linux_x64. :bigthup

Latest update located here

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:38 am  (#17) 
Script Coder

Thank you GnuTux Hopefully Rod can compile for Windows, should it be named text-font-001 or something similiar so that this version is different

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:42 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Founder

Shouldn't the name remain the same, so it can be just overwritten in the plug-ins folder? Having two versions of the same plug-ins, with different names, can cause PDB/Menu registration problems.

I've updated the text in the source code to note that updates have been made.

Is there not a Free Open Source "C" compiler for Windows? Once you get the C compiler and the GIMP libs/deps installed, you should be able to use gimptool to compile small plug-ins.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:26 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Tux.

Screenshot.

Works in Windows Vista 32 bit Tux. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:03 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Again Thanks for Graechan, GnuTux and Rod.
In this composition I became of hope for ideas for new solutions.
Guided by his own idea - before compiling in Windows
I changed this:
   gimp_plugin_menu_register (PLUG_IN_PROC, "<image> / Filters / Beautify");

on

gimp_plugin_menu_register (PLUG_IN_PROC, "<Fonts> /
")

It is still shown in the Fonts menu (PPM) - but you can not run.
Any tips?

ps. ROD - from which the build environment are you using?
You built yourself? - If (like me) use of building Samji - for which thanks are due after each successful compilation
Scream out loud - SAMJI BACK

Attachments:
Why inability to start.png
Why inability to start.png [ 10.52 KiB | Viewed 1493 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:22 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Founder

MareroQ wrote:
It is still shown in the Fonts menu (PPM) - but you can not run.
Any tips?

This plug-in is not going to run from that location. It requires a drawable with an active text layer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:46 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

You know that I am a beginner in coding - before a long road of science - a clue ?

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:56 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Founder

For the plug-in it to run directly from the fonts dialog, the plug-in would need to create an image with a text layer from the selected font, as the fist step. This might be a good task for Graechan's script.

I do agree the menu location of the Text-Font plug-in should not be under Filters/Beautify. Maybe Filters/Fonts would be a better location.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:29 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

I recompiled (linux 32) incorporating the changes shown earlier. While editing changed the location to Tools/TextFont. Works ok from there.

Rods suggestion of changing the menu location by editing pluginrc also works very well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:31 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
For the plug-in it to run directly from the fonts dialog, the plug-in would need to create an image with a text layer from the selected font, as the fist step. This might be a good task for Graechan's script.

I do agree the menu location of the Text-Font plug-in should not be under Filters/Beautify. Maybe Filters/Fonts would be a better location.

I can re edit the plugin to show at Filters>Text i do have that menu item already listed for Freetype and other filters. :). Maybe that would be a better spot?

MareroQ i am using the latest SamJ Environment on my desktop. It actually has decided to start working again. YAY! For now anyway. :lol Anyways i have had the environment set up for a long time (same one i used to use before). I also have my Qt build environment back! That's exciting too.

Yes i agree a shout out to SamJ - We need you back Sam! We miss you too. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:52 pm  (#26) 
Script Coder

Samj was a genius with doing builds for windows and I've been hoping to to see Samj pop in to this discussion, but maybe Rod could talk me through with what I need for the Win64bit build and I'll give it a try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:00 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

Ok i re compiled to show the new menu location <Image>/Filters/Text.
Attached with src. :)

Maybe we should clean up this thread to list ONLY newer compiles?

Graechan just download the latest environment SamJ posted a link to.
If your environment is 64 Bit your plugin will compile as such. :)
Download here - http://www.aljacom.com/~gmic/petit-msys-mingw-gimp28.7z - and unpack to C in Windows directory.
You need to unpack the "small-msys-mingw-gimp28.7z" archive in C:\ for C:\petit-msys-mingw-gimp28
The instructions are in the text file : C:\petit-msys-mingw-gimp28\Readme_petit-msys-mingw-gimp28.txt

Open the Make file and edit it to contain the name of the C src you are compiling. Like so.
################################################################

B_CFLAGS = -I/mingw/include -I/mingw/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include -I/python/include -pipe -O3 -mms-bitfields -march=i686 -s
B_LDFLAGS = -L/mingw/lib -L/mingw/x86_64-w64-mingw32/lib -mwindows
GIMPARGS = $(shell gimptool-2.0 --cflags --libs)
PCREARGS = $(shell pcre-config --cflags --libs)

make:
   /env/compilers_win32/MinGW/bin/gcc.exe -o text-font.exe -Wall -O3 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-parentheses text-font.c $(B_CFLAGS) $(B_LDFLAGS) $(GIMPARGS) $(PCREARGS) -DGIMP_DISABLE_DEPRECATED

################################################################

Though yours should read
   /env/msys/bin/gcc.exe

More information here.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8222
I suggest read the whole topic thread. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:32 pm  (#28) 
Script Coder

Thankyou Rod but I'm confused is the link for 32bit or 64bit as the files seem to indicate it's 32bit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:37 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Founder

That environment might do both, Graechan. Check the readme.

The Win 64bit environment is here.

http://www.aljacom.com/~gimp/divers.html

More info
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8459

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:15 pm  (#30) 
Script Coder

GnuTux Thank you for the link, I'm downloading now