It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Testers Needed: Script-Fu Interface Scrolling Modification
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:25 am  (#101) 
Script Coder

So! GnuTux is coming over to the "Dark Side" tomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:49 am  (#102) 
Script Coder

GnuTux If another window opens such as a pattern or gradient selection window it will open behind the script-fu window,
same as for a plugin set to run interactively.
This is not a good outcome so could the script-fu window be set to be on top when active

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:33 am  (#103) 
GimpChat Founder

I found someone to pay me to work on Windows, Graechan. That's the only reason I'm visiting the dark side. :mrgreen:

I see what you're saying. Keeping the script-fu dialog on top is not a viable solution. Perhaps some code to initially move it to the top would help with the taskbar issue, but won't help with the problem of the script-fu dialog is dropping behind GIMP. That is not supposed to happen.

There is actually existing code in the script-fu dialog that directs GIMP/GTK to always keep the Script-Fu dialog above GIMP. This works perfectly in Linux but from the results of our testings, it doesn't work in Windows 7. It's looking to me like this is a Windows specific bug that needs to be addressed by the GIMP/GTK developers.

Theoretically, GTK for Windows should work the same as it does in Linux. Evidently, is does not.

I think attempting to correct for this in the Script-Fu dialog is the wrong approach and a futile endeavor.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:37 am  (#104) 
Global Moderator

That's too bad after all the work you guys put into this.
BTW, how can you test that on someone's pc? wouldn't it have to have Gimp and the scripts installed? just curious. :teeth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:03 am  (#105) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:
That's too bad after all the work you guys put into this.

Not much effort has went into correcting for these Windows deficiencies. Since Widows users have never been able to drag and drop onto a Script-Fu dialog before, they won't even know they're missing that feature. :hehe

I must admit that even in Linux, I never drag and drop onto a script or plug-in dialog either.

The new scrolling Script-Fu interface is still much better than what we had, even if there is nothing we can do to correct some of the Windows issues we are seeing. At least with the new scrolling Script-Fu interface, Windows users will be able to access elements that were previously off the screen and inaccessible. ;)

molly wrote:
BTW, how can you test that on someone's pc? wouldn't it have to have Gimp and the scripts installed?

I'll be at a client's location. They already have GIMP on one of their machines, so all I would have to do is install and test the mod.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:20 am  (#106) 
Global Moderator

Cool, I hope they have some tea and cornbread for you.
Anyway, I am happy with the way the script works. It was very inconvenient the way it was before when there was no way to get to the bottom on a dialogue, especially the fire one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:34 am  (#107) 
Global Moderator

Actually I don't really think we need the drag and drop feature when it is so easy just to click the gradient and the little gradient box drops down to choose from.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:44 am  (#108) 
GimpChat Founder

I agree, Molly.

Even in Linux, this new interface is easier to use. I much prefer scrolling to having to Alt-click and drag the dialog box around.

The reason I created this mod is to allow Script-Fu developers the freedom to add in as many input items on the dialog screen as they need. Personally, I have always felt limited by the constraints of the Script-Fu dialog.

Going forward, it will be really nice to be able add all the input fields I need and to make any given script as versatile as I want it be.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:49 am  (#109) 
Global Moderator

Cool, go for it... :pengy :tuxy :sleepkbd :peng

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:28 pm  (#110) 
GimpChat Founder

I had a chance to play around with GIMP in Windows 7 today.

An unmodified version of GIMP 2.8.x in Window 7 would not allow me to drag and drop. As already mentioned, when you click anywhere in GIMP outside of the dialog, that dialog drops behind. Even when the dialog is tiled side by side with GIMP, drag and drop does not work. I saw the same behavior as Molly has already described.

I thought the overall behavior of GIMP was somewhat inconsistent when conforming to windowing constraints, as compared to Linux. Windows would not stop right on the screen boundary, as they were dragged to the edges of the screen. For example, when dragged to the top of the screen, a dialog would continue on for several pixels before it actually stopped, hiding the edge of the boundary.

I don't know if these issues occur on other versions of Windows, but in any event, these kind of problems should not be addressed within the Script-Fu interface code. Issues, such as these, need to addressed by the GIMP/GTK developers.

In terms of the Script-Fu interface modification, keeping the dialog on top helped with the task bar problem, but also kept other dialogs from coming to the top. For this reason, V.6 has been removed and V.5 should be used until an official Release Candidate is posted.

Thanks to everyone who helped test this GIMP modification. It was appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:18 pm  (#111) 
Global Moderator

Thank you Tux, I will remove ver.6 and replace ver.5.
Even though this didn't go quite the way you planned, it is a big step forward toward using some very nice scripts that were giving us a lot of frustrations before.
:jumpclap Heads up guys, great job... :clap :bigthup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:01 pm  (#112) 
Script Coder

Molly One such script I've never been able to use properly is Fencepost's animated fire and it's a fantastic script
me and my little laptop are very happy with the outcome of this venture and GnuTux's persistence to fix a problem that gimp should have seen coming
As it turned out there was a lot of hidden talent laying around here

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:33 pm  (#113) 
Global Moderator

Yes that is the script that gave me the trouble too. The animated snow used to.
BTW, you are also responsible for all that team work, and so was saulgoode.
Pogo also helped with his compiling.
A talented bunch y'all are. Kudo's

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:48 am  (#114) 
GimpChat Member

I added binary Script-Fu Interface Mod - Official Release V1.0 For Windows_x64

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:50 am  (#115) 
GimpChat Founder

:tyspin for all your help, Pogogogo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:56 am  (#116) 
GimpChat Member

You're welcome!

Post subject: Re: Script-Fu Interface Scrolling Modification V1.0 Official Release
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:03 am  (#117) 

Is possible to use with mac?

Post subject: Re: Script-Fu Interface Scrolling Modification V1.0 Official Release
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:56 am  (#118) 
GimpChat Founder

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on a MAC. Other than Partha, I not sure if anyone else here has a development environment setup to compile for a MAC. I haven't seen Partha around lately. I suppose we could try to contact via eMail/PM.

There is actually another plug-in I'd like to see compiled for the MAC (ML Bevel Reflect).

@MareroQ - Thanks for compiling the Official Release for Windows_32bit. I've linked to it from the first post.

Anyone have a Linux 32bit GIMP development environment setup, who would be willing to compile the Script-Fu plug-in?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:06 am  (#119) 
Global Moderator

ok It may be here and I just haven't seen it. I have got the Windows 7 32 bit so have downloaded MareroQ's release.
I have worked out where to put the application (plugin folder? - correct me if I am wrong.)
where do I put the interface.c file?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:42 am  (#120) 
Script Coder

sallyanne wrote:
ok It may be here and I just haven't seen it. I have got the Windows 7 32 bit so have downloaded MareroQ's release.
I have worked out where to put the application (plugin folder? - correct me if I am wrong.)
where do I put the interface.c file?

You don't need to do anything with the interface.c file. It is there for people who might want to look at the code or compile a new version. (Kudos to MareroQ for including the source code in the zip file.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next