It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: GT Bevel V0.9 Beta For Testing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:29 pm  (#21) 
Script Coder

Molly and Wallace can you see the difference now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:34 pm  (#22) 
Global Moderator

To be honest Graechan, i really cant see much difference, but it is the cleanest sharpest text I have seen of all the text scripts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:22 pm  (#23) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Graechan wrote:
Molly and Wallace can you see the difference now

I think the larger the object that the bevel is used on, as well as the slope employed. The more pronounce the effect between Sinus and Curved can be noticed.
I also agree with Molly about how clean/sharp the bevel is, when compared to other bevel scripts I've used in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:24 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

I can see the difference between the three very clearly.
Flat = very flat degree edge or scandi grind
Curved = a rounded slope edge or convex grind
Sinus = an inverted slope edge or hollow grind

Sort of like knife edges :)

Post subject: Re: GT Bevel V0.91 Beta (Bevel On Separate Layer)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:44 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Founder

Wallace wrote:
I think the larger the object that the bevel is used on, as well as the slope employed. The more pronounce the effect between Sinus and Curved can be noticed.
I also agree with Molly about how clean/sharp the bevel is, when compared to other bevel scripts I've used in the past.

Yes. The larger the image and wider/taller the bevel, the more of a difference between slopes can be seen. I didn't add any feathering or blurring because it really didn't seem to need it, but smoothing the bevel layer is something I might consider adding. Placing the bevel on its own layer does give the user the ability to tweak it, as they see fit.

I've attached GT Bevel V0.91 Beta to the first post. Select "Keep Layers" to access the Bevel & Bumpmap layers. Suggestions and comments are encouraged. Hopefully, this release will be problem free. :hehe

Flat

Curved

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:02 am  (#26) 
Global Moderator

I can see the huge difference in this one... thanks tux

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:17 am  (#27) 
Retired Staff

This one using Sinus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:41 pm  (#28) 
Retired Staff

Beveled red text. Then made a layer the color of the red text over the bump map, put it through the bump map in lighting effects.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:11 pm  (#29) 
Script Coder

GnuTux seamlessly adding the bevel to a separate layer was something I was thinking of sending you a PM about now curves can be easily applied :bigthup

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:27 pm  (#30) 
Global Moderator

GnuTux and Graechan - more GTbevel playing, very much along the same lines (I would say great minds think alike ... but there is a 'comeback' response to that one!)

Started off with plain green background and some text paths. From top left - original GTbevel text against its own inverted bumpmap with some coulers mataillique; top right is the inverted GTbevel version; bottom left is a plain green background invert bumped using the origional text bump map and bottom right (after I read GT's post) is the lighting effects version.

Terrific script GnuTux - cannot stop playing with it.

EDIT ... and here is the proof .. liked the colours in Wallace's 'Fire Surfer' so much I made up a gradient and did some more GTbevel ... because I can ...

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:26 am  (#31) 
Script Coder

OMG your script art is fantastic and GnuTux this would be a nice option 'SF-OPTION _"Bevel Slope" '("Flat" "Curved" "Sinus" "Curves")'
contours from bevel reflect would be perfect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:01 am  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

It is indeed a better way to do beveling and 3D work. Nicely done Tux. Still it would be nice to see an actual preview instantly as you design in 3D. Or even a way to save the effect settings for a particular font type and size when you get something you like. Has script-fu ever implemented a save option for settings other than the default for last used settings? Is it even possible yet?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:31 am  (#33) 
Global Moderator

Last ones for today - tried the script with some thin fonts; GT I (obviously) really like the inlay capabilities of your 'GTbevel' ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:49 am  (#34) 
GimpChat Founder

Great results Molly, O & OMG. You peeps can can create cool art from any old script. That's for sure. :grinyes

Graechan wrote:
GnuTux this would be a nice option ... contours from bevel reflect would be perfect

My original goal was to create a scheme script that has more features than GIMP's Add Bevel script. This is because I needed something better to drop into other Logo Scripts, such as Logo Toolbox, without being dependent on other plug-ins or the unneeded complexity (for my purposes) of the bevel code in LayerFX.

Having said that, adding a few contours curves would be a cool feature and is something to consider. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to add any more complexity to the script, at least at this point.

Rod wrote:
Still it would be nice to see an actual preview instantly as you design

I agree. It would be nice to have a real live preview window for this filter. Short of writing a C plug-in, which is easily doable (not that much code in the filter), one could code it in python and use the same type of preview we see with bevel in the python version of LayerFX. However, that gets away from my original goal in writing this script, as previously mentioned. Lots of options have already been done in LayerFX, so no need to reinvent the wheel. I see GT Bevel occupying a niche, somewhere between Add Bevel and LayerFX Bevel, more powerful than Add Bevel and less complex than LayerFX Bevel. :cool

What would really be nice would be the ability to call gimp-curves interactively. Unfortunately, there is no option for that. There is plug-in-wr-curves (part of GAP) that can be used as a wrapper for calling gimp-curves interactively, but it's kinda messy and I don't want to be dependent on GAP. Calling GIMP's Bumpmap plug-in interactively, as a option, might be a useful feature. All in all, it's not that hard to Ctrl-z, then Ctrl-Shift-F to try out various options quickly.

Rod wrote:
Or even a way to save the effect settings for a particular font type and size when you get something you like. Has script-fu ever implemented a save option for settings other than the default for last used settings? Is it even possible yet?

GinoD posted some code he was using to do something like that, and suggested that I use it in BRL. I just haven't gotten around to working with it yet, but it's a nice idea and I think would be a useful feature in any script that has lots of options.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:59 am  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

I wonder if it would be possible to just write your settings used in a given script to a new blank layer?Then you could just get the values for the settings through the saved xcf file. That seems pretty messy though.

Tux where did GinoD post this sample code?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:08 am  (#36) 
Script Coder

The scripter can always record settings used in the name of the layer generated, as does GMIC (in certain output modes).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:21 am  (#37) 
GimpChat Founder

That sounds like a useful option, jt. :)

Rod wrote:
Tux where did GinoD post this sample code?

He's using gimp-image-attach-parasite to place the settings in the image comment section. :hehe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:09 pm  (#38) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
He's using gimp-image-attach-parasite to place the settings in the image comment section. :hehe

Now that would work very well. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:29 pm  (#39) 
Global Moderator

GnuTux ...bevel master of the universe (a rival to DrWho?) .. cannot stop playing with your bevel scripts ... GTbevelled wall and bevelled glass effect text.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:53 am  (#40) 
GimpChat Member

You people are so cool !

Why don't you get this merged into Gimp master? I hate the Bump map filter that comes with Gimp because it doesn't meet my expectations.

:gimp

Joseph

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next