It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: CMYK Student's non-destructive Gimp build in use by me.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:23 am  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

CmykStudent wrote:
Erisian No worries! Unless something really bad happens, this feature is scheduled to be included in the 2.99.18 release which should becoming out in roughly a week or so. It's been great seeing how _contrast has made use of this in their work and demos!

Could you give Gimp 2.99.17 the ability to disable all layer effects at once. And another thing give users the option to copy the layer to the clipboard as it was before it had layer effects, and the option to copy it to the clipboard after the layer effects.

Ctrl +C currently copies the layer the way it was before layer effects were applied. There needs to be another command that copies it with the layer effects.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:07 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Here I am trying to do work with it. Look at all the layer effects on the military vehicle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:19 am  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

_contrast I'll look into the issue with copying layers. For now, if you use the duplicate command instead copy then it carries over the layer effects.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:26 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

If you guys find non-destructive editing in Gimp with GEGL interesting. Check out Pixelitor, it is an open source app with 100s of non-destructive filters, allowing advance editing with its native filters as well as GMIC and GEGL combined. Though GEGL filters only run through command line interfaces here and only about 12 GMIC filters have GUIS in Pixelitor, the rest of the GMIC filters run through a command line interface. Though all the native filters have GUIs.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3247&start=20

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:33 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

I am using "layer effects" once again
Attachment:
effects_fun.png
effects_fun.png [ 705.15 KiB | Viewed 2815 times ]

Before non-destructive filters
Attachment:
before_NDE.png
before_NDE.png [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 2815 times ]

After non-destructive filters
Attachment:
enhanced_NDE.png
enhanced_NDE.png [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 2814 times ]

So yeah, the interesting thing here is GEGL Graph ( a filter that does nothing in default) being set to the "screen" blend mode. So I can use "screen" as a layer effect.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:52 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Hmm - interesting. In the future there may need to be a way to distinguish different GEGL Graphs since they're now persistent (e.g. adding a separate name field or something).

By the way, I see from the screenshot you don't have the latest update. If you rebuild from the branch, the eye icons now toggle on/off correctly and the hide/show all visibility button is back on the pop-over menu. Just FYI since you requested it earlier. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:27 am  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

CmykStudent wrote:
Hmm - interesting. In the future there may need to be a way to distinguish different GEGL Graphs since they're now persistent (e.g. adding a separate name field or something).

By the way, I see from the screenshot you don't have the latest update. If you rebuild from the branch, the eye icons now toggle on/off correctly and the hide/show all visibility button is back on the pop-over menu. Just FYI since you requested it earlier. :)

I think GEGL Graph should just be named "GEGL Graph" unless someone inputs their own name as a GEGL Graph can literally be anything.

Updating now, this is exciting!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:55 am  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

I updated by compiling Gimp and the checkbox works. I am looking forward to future updates.

Attachment:
checkbox_works.png
checkbox_works.png [ 527.42 KiB | Viewed 2798 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:13 am  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

Hey CMYK Student, I have a new bug and I'll report it here.

Gimp freezes tempoarily while selecting a disabled layer and editing non-destructive filters below

How to trigger bug

1. Make two layers. One with non-destructive filters and one with nothing.

2. Disable the top layer while it is still selected.

3. Edit the non-destructive filters on the layer below (it will freeze Gimp for a few seconds) and display the error
"the selected layer is not visible" I don't think it should temporarily freeze Gimp and I'm not sure if the error is correct either.

Attachment:
bug_report.png
bug_report.png [ 22.63 KiB | Viewed 2797 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:27 pm  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

This text updates fast because my bevel plugin is lite. Remember my bevel plugin is an individual component and a dependency of GEGL Effects and can be found here.

https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/Gimp_Lay ... s/releases

Attachment:
awesome_text_edits.png
awesome_text_edits.png [ 226.13 KiB | Viewed 2715 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:40 pm  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

Here is me editing bevel and changing it to its "sharp mode" and making the blend mode "grain merge" where as before I think it was on "hardlight".
Attachment:
bevel_sharp_mode.png
bevel_sharp_mode.png [ 186.89 KiB | Viewed 2715 times ]

Also, here is another bug for CMYK Student to investigate. This bug literally happened just a few minutes ago while I was making this post. lol
Attachment:
new_bug_LOL.png
new_bug_LOL.png [ 84.85 KiB | Viewed 2715 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:01 pm  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

(Ctrl +D) Duplicate a composition which has a text layer with effects and edit it to trigger this bug.
Attachment:
stupid_bug.png
stupid_bug.png [ 52.05 KiB | Viewed 2712 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:15 pm  (#33) 
GimpChat Member

I confirmed the bug happens even without my plugins

Attachment:
2024-01-08_16-14.png
2024-01-08_16-14.png [ 71.61 KiB | Viewed 2711 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:09 pm  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

This is not a bug but it is confirming evidence that Gimp is not using GEGL's true node system, as making the first filter a GEGL id; and the second a GEGL ref was a failed task.

In native GEGL syntax id is the bookmark of an image and ref is the call to that bookmark. So if you id the original layer and call it later (with a blend mode) it will blend your composition

Here is a example of it failing in Gimp but succceeding in GEGL Syntax.

id and ref does NOT work in Gimp across effects
Attachment:
idref_fail.png
idref_fail.png [ 285.85 KiB | Viewed 2709 times ]

Here is an example of id and ref used successful giving an image a hard light blend mode
Attachment:
id_ref_proper.png
id_ref_proper.png [ 470.43 KiB | Viewed 2709 times ]

I would like for this feature to be possible in Gimp's non-destructive editing across layer effects.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:03 pm  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

I got diagonal editable text. It works but the text box was never designed to rotate. This was done with the command
gegl:rotate-on-center NOT the Transform tool.
Attachment:
nde_diagonal_text.png
nde_diagonal_text.png [ 117.24 KiB | Viewed 2692 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:23 pm  (#36) 
GimpChat Member

Here is something that doesn't make sense and seems to be a "incomplete layer mask". I use the rectangle select tool to make selections and apply filters, they stay as their selection. but I can't edit the selection later on and there is no selection mask of any kind.

I am willing to bet in the future that these selections will be editable and function as Gimp's alternative to "layer mask on smart objects" in Adobe.

Attachment:
selection_mask_that_cannot_be_edited.png
selection_mask_that_cannot_be_edited.png [ 165.93 KiB | Viewed 2687 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:13 am  (#37) 
GimpChat Member

_contrast Thanks for the reports, I'll look into the bugs.

Yes, I think GEGL's transform operations could eventually be integrated with the current destructive transform tools as an alternate option. It wouldn't be very hard to make a simple rotation/scaling GEGL plug-in either as a temporary measure.

GIMP does use GEGL nodes for each effect, but they're stored separately in GimpFilter objects rather than as one big graph. In the future we could add code to query all filters attached to a layer to get the ID, but that's post 3.0 work. :)

And yes, Jehan wants the filter masks to be editable in the future. Right now we store the masks inside the filters and as part of the XCF file to retain their original shape, so future GUI work to allow intuitive editing will likely be the biggest challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:35 pm  (#38) 
GimpChat Member

I ran multiple test today and so far everything is good in the neighborhood. (besides the known bugs I reported in the last few days)

Attachment:
mac2.png
mac2.png [ 537.42 KiB | Viewed 2561 times ]

Attachment:
after_before_mac.png
after_before_mac.png [ 814.03 KiB | Viewed 2561 times ]

In a way this build is semi functional. I can't wait till the next release. I will make it my mission to keep updated with every new release CMYK student does.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:28 pm  (#39) 
GimpChat Member

I just learned that the selection tool in this build ignores non-destructive filters. This is somewhat unfortunate because a user may want to use a filter like "edge detect" to make a selection and it will only work if the layer is destructive. In the pics I upload we will see the selection dialog in Gimp entirely ignore the nde gaussian blur.

Original Image
Attachment:
pasted_image148.png
pasted_image148.png [ 304.81 KiB | Viewed 2469 times ]

Non destructive Gaussian Blur being entirely ignored by the selection tool
Attachment:
ignore_blur.png
ignore_blur.png [ 356.66 KiB | Viewed 2469 times ]

Rasterized (destructive) gaussian blur modifying the selection as expected.
Attachment:
blur_as_expected.png
blur_as_expected.png [ 243.47 KiB | Viewed 2469 times ]

so yeah not really a bug but this behavior wasn't expected and once again making a rasterized copy of the layer with merged effects solves the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:43 pm  (#40) 
GimpChat Member

Here are several things I discovered about what non-destructive editing can and cannot do over the past few days.

1. Gimp's Transform tool are not non-destructive

2. Gimp's warp transform tool is non-destructive sometimes but not always. I have no idea what causes it to work once in a while.

3. Gimp's Gradient's are destructive but it appears to recognize them as non-destructive filters until they are applied. It shows the eye glasses icon with them right before it is applied. The same cannot be said about the transform tool

4. Matting Levin is destructive (I just found this out a minute ago testing it) it does not have a glasses icon like Gradient does.

5. Layer Mask cannot use non-destructive filters

6. Channels cannot use non-destructive filters

7. If a destructive filter like script fu or GMIC filter is applied it will surprisingly work but it obviously will be destructive and modify the original layer. All other GEGL filters will be on top of said script fu, python or GMIC command and the only way to undo it will be a back up layer or undo.

8. If you drag and drop a non-destructive layer into the target toolbox to open a new window with that layer it will lose all its non-destructive effects. The only way to keep them is to duplicate the layer.

Last edited by contrast_ on Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next