It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Calendar Year Script-fu (beta)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:19 pm  (#11) 
Script Coder

If you aren't getting anything (including error messages) then all I can suggest is that you make sure you have the latest version. You might try downloading the file again (maybe there is some weird caching problem with your webbrowser and you are somehow retaining the original version).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:36 pm  (#12) 
Retired Staff

The first one I made had the image in one of the months because I didn't know to make it 12 layers. I've deleted the one in my scripts folder, re-downloaded it and put it in the scripts folder. Going to boot my machine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:53 pm  (#13) 
Retired Staff

I hope someone else gives the script a try. I'm batting zero on the facet image.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:09 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Works like a charm for me in Ubuntu. I already printed and cut it out, scored the lines, and currently taping it together. I'll take a picture of it when done. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:16 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Wow
Mahvin that looks amazing

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:20 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

O
i remember that we played time ago with a lot of versions of calendar script that was also by Saulgoode,
, are you sure that is not a copy left somewhere ?

Anyway i am downloading now and i will give a try

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:12 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Saul,
FYI,
A4 = 210mm x 297mm (8.27in x 11.69in)
Letter = 216mm x 279mm (8.5in x 11 in)

A4 is narrower by almost a quarter-inch and over one-half inch longer than Letter.

Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:33 pm  (#18) 
Global Moderator

Quote:
Wow Mahvin that looks amazing

I just went on Google images and tried to find a fitting image for each month to use as layers. I then renamed them for the months and put them in the order Saul says, on his wiki. December being top-most, and January being bottom-most.

It looks cool sitting here on my desk, too. I need to buy some double-sided sticky tape.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:37 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
It looks cool sitting here on my desk, too. I need to buy some double-sided sticky tape.
Thanks for reminding me that I need to get a color cartridge for my printer... :rofl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:38 pm  (#20) 
Retired Staff

Well I finally have it working after the third download, and arduous sacrifices to the computer gods with vigorous shaking of rattles, feathers and beads over braziers filled with burning incense. :hexer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:20 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
Well I finally have it working after the third download, and arduous sacrifices to the computer gods with vigorous shaking of rattles, feathers and beads over braziers filled with burning incense. :hexer

Congrats! :lol
I thought I was going to have to do all that plus sacrifice some livestock while trying to figure out how to get an image to appear properly scaled inside each facet (just one image). The original image I was using was sized so that it filled the canvas; I had to slightly scale down the image, then increase the canvas size back to the facet dimension and rescale the layer (thus leaving my image with a border).

Very cool script!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:47 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

I really loooove this new script! It takes the place of several! It even includes different languages!

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:23 pm  (#23) 
Script Coder

Oregonian, I am very glad to hear that you've got things working. I really appreciate everybody's help with this beta software. I realize how inconvenient it is to keep updating versions and how frustrating it can be when things don't work correctly. Many thanks to all.

I have released a new version of the Platonic Calendar script with some minor changes. I fixed a memory leak and corrected the behavior of the facet image so that it uses the bottom twelve layers if there are more than twelve -- before it would incorrectly use the top twelve layers with the twelfth one from the top being January (this was not a problem if there were twelve or fewer layers).

The script also makes sure to ignore any selection that might exist in the facet image. I am thinking that maybe Oregonian's difficulty was caused by her having a selection present and this was messing up things as I copied the layers over. Anyway, now this should not cause problems.

Mahvin, that is wonderful! I am more of an engineer than an artist so it is especially satisfying to me when I get to see the script used as I'd hoped, but lack the aesthetic mentality to accomplish myself. I would very much appreciate seeing a photo of your final meatspace result (perhaps with permission to post it on my wiki?).

Bob63, thank you for the information on paper sizes. I will try to figure out the correct dimensions to use this weekend. I will leave the script setting being specified in pixels, but will try to produce a table of various edge lengths and the corresponding paper size.

The script seems to be close to final. This weekend I will be tweaking the banner layout a bit (and perhaps add an option to place the month at the top and the year at the bottom), and I also want to change some of the internals so that the facet gets rendered at the same time as the month's calendar (this will eliminate a potential 1-pixel misalignment between the images and the folds). I also want to have the script create a selection from the alphas of all of the text layers. This will hopefully facilitate various schemes of providing contrast between the text and the images (such as outlining the text) or applying logo effects.

Here is a calendar I made using various historic GIMP splash screens. I used the alpha of the text layers as a selection mask to Value Invert the colors in the photos. The effect is not perfect, but it is better than having black text over a dark image. If I can figure out a good algorithm for ensuring high contrast for all backgrounds, I will probably add it as an option.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:38 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

ok, I have gotten lost...is the final version ready yet. I want to put it on my mac but not until the script is all updated as I'm not sure how to remove stuff yet in order to replace with a newer script. I want to have one of those 12 sided ball calendars on my desk, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:46 pm  (#25) 
Script Coder

I hope to have a finalized version sometime next week.

@Bob83, you might try using Gfig to render a pentogon that frames the part of the layer you wish to be used. You can then use the rendered Gfig layer to autocrop the image to the proper dimensions. This is best done on a separate image because Gfig doesn't recognize layer placement and/or dimensions (only the image).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:51 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

saulgoode wrote:
I hope to have a finalized version sometime next week.

@Bob83, you might try using Gfig to render a pentogon that frames the part of the layer you wish to be used. You can then use the rendered Gfig layer to autocrop the image to the proper dimensions. This has to be done on a separate image because Gfig doesn't recognize layer placement and/or dimensions (only the image).

Thanks for the heads-up on that, Saul. I was pretty certain there was an easier way than "Uhh, maybe like this." Sometimes experimenting works, other times it's like the joke "Let me show you how to do that - here, hold my beer."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:05 pm  (#27) 
Global Moderator

Quote:
Mahvin, that is wonderful! I am more of an engineer than an artist so it is especially satisfying to me when I get to see the script used as I'd hoped, but lack the aesthetic mentality to accomplish myself. I would very much appreciate seeing a photo of your final meatspace result (perhaps with permission to post it on my wiki?).

Sure, no problem. This was fun and the wife loved it and is taking it to work for her desk. Thank "YOU" for creating this gem of a script. This group on Gimpchat is like the A-team, "I love it when a plan comes together..."

Here's the photo:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:01 am  (#28) 
Script Coder

Thanks, Mahvin. that is suh-weet. I've posted your photo on my wiki (along with a link to your weblog).

Another alternative to double-sided tape would be transparent book repair tape (also known as bookbinder’s tape). It is somewhat expensive, but it is nearly undetectable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:08 am  (#29) 
Global Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually planning on gluing a card stock sheet to a thicker version of cardboard, and hopefully laminate (seal) it using a spray-on shellac.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:27 am  (#30) 
Global Moderator

That is so nice mav... great job