It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Script-Fu Scrolling Interface V1.1 For GIMP 2.8.14
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:29 pm  (#41) 
Script Coder

Saulgoode is this a response by Gimp to bug reports sent to them about the plugin or is it generated by them
and if so does this mean they are taking the plugin seriously

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:39 pm  (#42) 
Script Coder

It means if those three (two?) items are addressed satisfactorily then the plug-in will (most likely) be in the next version.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:54 pm  (#43) 
Script Coder

That is Great news For GnuTux and all users

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:05 pm  (#44) 
Script Coder

Saulgoode The 3 items to be addressed seem confusing to me, would you be able to explain better Item 1/
1/ the magic numbers don't work because of themes
2/ the table must not grow when the dialog is resized
3/ there probably should be no scrolling at all if all widgets fit the screen

example of item 2/ [script-fu interface]
[scrolling script-fu interface]

if they mean by 3/ that menu should not begin scrolling when window made smaller, they are wrong

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:17 am  (#45) 
Script Coder

1/ The script uses hard values for the border size. These values might be different for different themes (for example, look at the window borders in my screenshots below).
#define BORDER_WIDTH          70 /* GnuTux: Compensate for Border Width*/
#define BORDER_HEIGHT        170 /* GnuTux: Compensate for Border Height*/

2/ Contrast what happens to the widgets when increasing the size of a plug-in's dialog to what happens to a Script-fu's (with the patch applied).
Attachment:
SS-plugin-interface.png
SS-plugin-interface.png [ 60.14 KiB | Viewed 16089 times ]

Attachment:
SS-script-fu-interface.png
SS-script-fu-interface.png [ 19.71 KiB | Viewed 16089 times ]

3/ I believe he is mistaken. But then again he is a sharp guy and maybe he noticed something that I missed (perhaps using a particular theme can cause the scrollbars to appear when they shouldn't). At a minimum, it is a valid point and deserves being emphasized.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:25 pm  (#46) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I have this installed, but is doesn't seem to be working correctly any more. The scroll bar shows up in dialogs, but when I use it it does not scroll down far enough for me to be able to see the bottom portion of some scripts.
I've resorted to using the Alt Drag windows script again, to be able to move the dialogs around to see the bottoms.

Edit

I recently setup dual monitors. The larger scripts will display entirely on my 17" monitor, but the scroll interface doesn't allow me to scroll down when the dialogs are on the 24" monitor.

Final Edit

I'm able to resize the dialogs, I may have jumped the gun on this issue. So there isn't anything wrong. Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:02 pm  (#47) 
GimpChat Founder

I did see the response from Mitch, which was posted 6 weeks after I initially submitted the patch, raising three issues that would keep the patch from being included in GIMP. I never responded because I was fine with the patch as it was and I really wasn't convinced these "issues" were really valid reasons not to include the patch. From my perspective, they seemed to simply be excuses not to include a patch they really didn't want to include anyway. The overall attitude toward including a scrolling feature in the script-fu was put forth in the very 1st comment.
Quote:
If a Script-Fu dialog is larger than the screen, then this may be an indication that the script is doing a lot more than what this binding is intended for.

This is something I vehemently disagree with. Also, I'm opposed to the entire notion that every dialog must be reduced to the lowest common denominator, which is part of the GNOME guidelines, the same nonsense that gave is the disastrous and ridiculous GNOME3 interface. Another reason I never responded is that I have no desire to argue or defend my choices and if I actually spoke my mind, which I'm inclined to do, it probably wouldn't help matters. :hehe

Now that I have had my rant, let me address each concern individually.

1) the magic numbers don't work because of themes
The fact of the matter is that the original script-fu interface is broken, based on screen resolution, not to mention how it interacts with various flavors of Windows. My patch currently fixes all of these issues by allowing the user to grab the corners and resize the dialog, no matter what theme they are using or what OS they are using. If there is a clean way to dynamically calculate the "magic numbers", so as to fit perfectly on the screen with all possible GIMP themes, OS themes and OS versions, then that would be great. I very much doubt that's the case though. In my opinion, the patch is preferable to the status quo, which is a broken dialog.

3) there probably should be no scrolling at all if all widgets fit the screen
Scroll bars will not be presented when there is room on the screen for the dialog. In Windows 7, it's possible that the very lower section of the dialog will be hidden behind the translucent task bar at the bottom (assuming the user hasn't moved the bar to the side, which is a possibility). This issue is already fixed by the patch because the user can simply grab the edges and resize the dialog manually. If Mitch is suggesting that the user should not be able to manually resize the dialog in this case, then I don't think he's tested it on Windows or has thought it through completely. The advantage of being able to manually resize the dialog, in all cases, is apparent.

2) the table must not grow when the dialog is resized
Personally, I'm fine with this behavior and actually, there is no point in manually increasing the size of the dialog if it fits on the screen so I'm not sure what the big issue here is, anyway. Of the three concerns, if this is the one that prevents the patch from being included in future GIMP versions, I have no problem with modifying the code to keep the widgets from growing when the dialog is manually sized upward.

saulgoode wrote:
The second item has to do with things like color swatches being scaled larger when the dialog is resized. I played around with the code to change this during the summer but did not discover the right approach.

I did the same and did not discover why these widgets got stretched out. All of the flags looked correct to me and I believe I tried all flag combinations with the same results. It might have to do with the way viewports are being used. Perhaps those more familiar with GTK+ implementation can shed some light on this behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:08 pm  (#48) 
GimpChat Member

For what it's worth, I believe the patch is in the best possible hands as it is and maybe it should remain there?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:49 pm  (#49) 
GimpChat Member

I re-installed the patch yesterday Tux (after this thread came back to light). I had installed 2.8.14 recently and forgot to install the patch. Probably a good thing since I didn't know 2.8.14 had it's own dedicated patch. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:53 pm  (#50) 
Script Coder

GnuTux wrote:
I did see the response from Mitch, which was posted 6 weeks after I initially submitted the patch,...

Oops. I had received an update when 'scar' had posted to the bug and failed to note the date on Mitch's comment.

Aside: I would prefer if such discussions took place in Bugzilla. Mailing lists tend to become a bitbucket over time. As hard as Bugzilla is to use, it is still easier than the mailing list; especially as the GIMP mailing list can be rather temperamental for extended periods of time. Better still would be for the developers to use forums, but I seem to be alone in that preference.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:02 pm  (#51) 
GimpChat Member

I know this is a really old thread..... but has this been remedied in Gimp 2.8.18? Or is there another Script-Fu for later versions?

I thought I used this but it may have been on my work computer, which is Windows 7. However, my home computer is Linux, and it's not working for me today. I keep reading the threads and now I'm just confused. I have checked for duplicate scripts (after I removed it because it wasn't working) and there are none.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:53 pm  (#52) 
GimpChat Member

Hello friends, Just to cross check whether the above plugin can be used perfectly well for Windows 32 bit system & GIMP 2.4.18. And also pls do let me know what are all the required plugins needed to be added in GIMP & how many can be added?.

Thanks & Regards
K.Sujatha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:59 am  (#53) 
GimpChat Member

Sujatha wrote:
Hello friends, Just to cross check whether the above plugin can be used perfectly well for Windows 32 bit system & GIMP 2.4.18. And also pls do let me know what are all the required plugins needed to be added in GIMP & how many can be added?.

Thanks & Regards
K.Sujatha

No extra plug-ins or scripts are required. This simply replaces the script-fu.exe file in the Program Files directory (64 or 32 bit) /GIMP 2/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins folder. KEEP the old one just in case. Restart GIMP and any script fu that has many options in its dialog window will have a scroll bar added. USE the 32 bit plug-in executable for a 32 bit GIMP install, and the 64 bit executable for a 64 bit GIMP install

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:15 pm  (#54) 
GimpChat Member

Is there an alternative for this script? I'm using the latest version of gimp and the scrolling interface doesn't work when I try to call up the Logo Tool Box.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:23 pm  (#55) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
mackenzieh wrote:
Is there an alternative for this script? I'm using the latest version of gimp and the scrolling interface doesn't work when I try to call up the Logo Tool Box.

You can try using AltDrag for Windows.
Check it out using the link below.

AltDrag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:35 pm  (#56) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:

I could try that one but I'm looking for the script that Rod was using. I forgot the name of it. I've used that one before.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:44 am  (#57) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:
Wallace wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:

I could try that one but I'm looking for the script that Rod was using. I forgot the name of it. I've used that one before.

Try this one. =)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10983

This is an executable so it goes in your plug-ins folder.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:12 am  (#58) 
GimpChat Member

Rod, What post number is it? I ask that because it's in this thread. I just can't recall the name of it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:08 am  (#59) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:
Rod, What post number is it? I ask that because it's in this thread. I just can't recall the name of it.

mackenzieh are you using MAC or Linux? If so the plug-in binary you need is in the #1 post. =)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:30 pm  (#60) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:

mackenzieh are you using MAC or Linux? If so the plug-in binary you need is in the #1 post. =)

I'm using Windows 7. The scrolling interface doesn't seem to work past 2.8.14. I have the recent version of gimp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next