It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to save all layers as single images? [solved]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:04 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP 2.8.10
I'd like to open multiple images in a single image, then make modifications to them (eg overlay background). It would be possible to save all layers as individual images each layer overwriting the old corresponding image? I tried the script "sg-save-all-layers", but I can not find where the layers have been saved. I have also the script "sg-sequential-edit" but it demands to save all layers one by one.

Last edited by Carlos Diniz on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How to save all layers as single images?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:13 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Carlos, I tried the save all layers by Saulgoode and they went into my home/molly folder, so they should go into your windows\carlos folder.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:01 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

On Windows, you should be able to specify the directory as part as the filename as long as you use two backslashes instead of just one where ever they appear in the path (for example, "c:\\Documents and Settings\\carlos\\filename-~~~.png").

I do not have access to Windows in order to test this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:16 am  (#4) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
If all the images were opened at once using "Open as layers" dialog. The saved images should be saved to the folder that the images came from. I'm not sure where images that were opened separately and then add as layes would be saved.
The images saved using "sg-save-all-layers" will not overwrite the original images, even if the original images were of the same type of file extension .eg, png, jpg, gif or whatever.

Saulgoode has stated, "you should be able to specify the directory". This does not occur. Once the "Export layes as separate png" is pressed/clicked, there is no dialog. It saves the images instantly without any input as to where the images will be saved.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:30 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Yes they do that and maybe the script could be modified to give that option but for now, they go
straight into your user folder.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:15 am  (#6) 
Administrator

molly wrote:
Yes they do that and maybe the script could be modified to give that option but for now, they go
straight into your user folder.

Default for windows is usually "My Pictures". I'm not sure if a default save directory can be set in Gimp preferences to whatever folder you like. Never really thought about that. I digress...
Images I save/export "normally" have always gone to where they were opened from, whatever that may be.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:56 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

Wallace wrote:
If all the images were opened at once using "Open as layers" dialog. The saved images should be saved to the folder that the images came from.

When files are opened as layers, GIMP does not make any record of where the source file is located. It is not possible (to my knowledge) for a script to ensure that layers are saved back to the directory whence they came.

Wallace wrote:
The images saved using "sg-save-all-layers" will not overwrite the original images, even if the original images were of the same type of file extension .eg, png, jpg, gif or whatever.

Files will be overwritten if they happen to be in the same directory and have the same name as the corresponding files. However, per my previous comment this will only be the case if the user intervenes or the files happen to be taken from/saved to GIMP's default output directory. (GIMP's output directory is typically specified with the shortcut's "RUN IN FOLDER" property.)

Wallace wrote:
Saulgoode has stated, "you should be able to specify the directory". This does not occur. Once the "Export layes as separate png" is pressed/clicked, there is no dialog. It saves the images instantly without any input as to where the images will be saved.

My script, as provided here, does not behave the way you describe. Perhaps you speak of a different script?

Carlos, I would be happy to customize the behavior of the script to your needs*, if you'd like.

* to the best of my abilities, anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:30 am  (#8) 
Administrator

saulgoode wrote:
Wallace wrote:
If all the images were opened at once using "Open as layers" dialog. The saved images should be saved to the folder that the images came from.

When images are opened as layers, GIMP does not make any record of where the source file is located. It is not possible (to my knowledge) for a script to ensure that layers are saved back to the directory whence they came.

Wallace wrote:

Files will be overwritten if they happen to be in the same directory and have the same name as the corresponding files. However, per my previous comment this will only be the case if the user intervenes or the files happen to be taken from/saved to GIMP's default output directory. (GIMP's output directory is typically specified with the shortcut's "RUN IN FOLDER" property.)

Wallace wrote:

My script, as provided here, does not behave the way you describe. Perhaps you speak of a different script?

Carlos, I would be happy to customize the behavior of the script to your needs*, if you'd like.

* to the best of my abilities, anyway.

The script I'm using was last modified/tested by Paul Sherman; 02/03/2014 on GIMP-2.8.10 and shows up at File>Export layers as separate png.
This script saves files to where they came from and adds .png to the end of the file's name, so the new saved file name would look something like this, "ImageX.png.png" and so the files are not overwritten.
Sorry for the confusion on my part.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:06 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

There is another python script "export_layers_repeatable_0.1.py" that asks where to save the layers. Another nice item is that you can chouse all layers or only visable layers.

# export_layers_repeatable_0.1.py - 2012 by Pako <lubos.ruckl@gmail.com>
#
# Written based on the original plugin
# "python-fu-export-layers" by Chris Mohler <cr33dog@gmail.com>
#
# This script allows you to export selected (or all) layers as individual image files.
# You can execute the task again, because the dialogue does not close after export.
# Just copy it under your home directory in .gimp-2.x/plugins (works with >=2.4)
# and (only if os==linux) chmod it for execution.
# You do not need to worry about the file name, because the script can automatically
# add a number to the filename.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:18 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Molly, saulgoode, Wallace and bilbo9955.
After a systematic research I discovered that the new modified images were stored in "C: \ Program Files \ GIMP 2 \ bin". This folder was not the source folder.
saulgoode, I suggest that the script contains the option of choosing a folder where we want the new image to be placed. I got the impression that most people who will use the script, as it is today, will not find the new images like me. This folder (\GIMP 2\bin) is not the GIMP's default output directory.
I never suspected that the new images could be stored there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:02 pm  (#11) 
Administrator

Carlos Diniz wrote:
After a systematic research I discovered that the new modified images were stored in "C: \ Program Files \ GIMP 2 \ bin". This folder was not the source folder.
saulgoode, I suggest that the script contains the option of choosing a folder where we want the new image to be placed. I got the impression that most people who will use the script, as it is today, will not find the new images like me. This folder (\GIMP 2\bin) is not the GIMP's default output directory.

I'm happy that you found those files, I wish I could've been more helpful with this issue.
I feel that there may be more to this then what you have already posted, but only you can tell us what that might be.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:20 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
Carlos Diniz wrote:

I'm happy that you found those files, I wish I could've been more helpful with this issue.
I feel that there may be more to this then what you have already posted, but only you can tell us what that might be.

Wallace, I posted all my questions. I don't have anything more to tell. What you are guessing or feeling?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:31 pm  (#13) 
Administrator

Carlos Diniz wrote:
Wallace, I posted all my questions. I don't have anything more to tell. What you are guessing or feeling?

Oh okay.
I just thought that there may be something more.