It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing Separate+ please help im in tears
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:28 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi-

I am trying to install separate+ to my computer in order to create images in cmyk in gimp and having a lot of trouble. Below is what Ive done, please review and tell me where Im screwing up. Im not down with computer lingo, but did my best to follow all instructions I found online. Please answer this in a way you'd explain something to a 3rd grader. Slowly.

Overview: I downloaded and installed Separate+ but the option to use it didnt appear in gimp. I assumed that it was because I saved it in the wrong location because I didnt understand where they said to save it. So I went back to try and find other instructions to find out exactly where I was supposed to save it. The instructions I found are below. At the time, I didnt see “optional” besides Adobe ICC Profiles. So I assumed that since I hadnt done that before, I needed to do that in order for it to work.

(I just now noticed that said optional.) and (I know that I didnt install the LittleCMS directory. Likely because I didnt have a clue what it was, honestly I cant remember).

Here are the instructions I followed (or tried to)

1.Ensure you have LittleCMS library installed (I already had this installed, as the media-libs/lcms package).
2.Download the Separate+ plugin archive from the Gimp plugin site. I got version 0.5.2.
3.Unzip the archive and cd into the separate+-0.5.2 directory that was created.
4.Install for the current user by running 'make INSTALLDIR=~/.gimp-2.4/plug-ins/ install-plugins'.
5.Create the ~/colors/icc directory.
6.Copy sRGB/sRGB\ Color\ Space\ Profile.icm into ~/colors/icc/
7.(Optionally) Download the Adobe ICC profiles from the Adobe website.
8.(Optionally) Unzip the Adobe ICC profiles archive and copy all files from 'CMYK Profiles' and 'RGB Profiles' into ~/colors/icc/.
Now, when you start Gimp and open an image, you should see a new option called 'Separate' in the 'Images' menu.

Ok, so I never saw “Now, when you start Gimp and open an image, you should see a new option called 'Separate' in the 'Images' menu.” even after restarting gimp.

Was this because I saved it in the wrong location? {IF, so WHERE does it go?}

or was it because I didnt have the LittleCMS library???? {what the heck is that?}
So because I thought that my problem was that I hadnt installed the Adobe ICC profiles, I went on to try and do so.

I actually wrote out what all I did with that, but just deleted it from here in case ya'll tell me that I just wasnt supposed to do that. If I WAS supposed to- let me know and I post the trouble I had with that.

Dude, I hope this makes sense. I will happily clarify anything that doesnt.

Whoever helps me with this will seriously be my hero. I just need to know what I was supposed to do and what I wasnt supposed to do. remember pretend like your explaining something to a 3rd grader.

please help me. Ive spent HOURS, IM MEANS HOURS TRYING TO DO THIS. Im in tears. (Im a girl, girls can cry)

Please help me.

Oh and I unistalled it all. And have only installed gimp again. So I can start out fresh with your help!!!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Installing Separate+ please help im in tears
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:45 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

i take it your system is Gentoo Linux as you are compiling the plug-ins...correct?
If you are running windows32 (xp) use this version -
http://sourceforge.jp/projects/separate ... 2_bin.zip/
place these three exe in your plug-ins folder restart gimp

On linux - http://sourceforge.jp/projects/separate ... 0.5.8.zip/ - unzip it
Follow the install directions in the folder

you should then only have to type in your terminal
make /
make install

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:49 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

"1.Ensure you have LittleCMS library installed (I already had this installed, as the media-libs/lcms package)."
"or was it because I didnt have the LittleCMS library???? {what the heck is that?}"

You are contradditing yourself, you have or not LittleCMS library installed ?
If not the problem seems easy to solve install that first, and reinstall

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:01 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Solved?

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:33 pm  (#5) 
Global Moderator

If I am not mistaken, the lcms version has to include the developer version or it won't compile. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:56 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Hi flipflop,
You haven't answered any of the replies by others so are you still watching this topic?
Anyway:
What distro are you using,or are you on Windows?
Someone thought it was Gentoo,if so,did you install it yourself?
I use Gentoo (7yrs).
The separate version you mention is very old,0.5.8 is the latest stable like Rod suggested.
Quote:
4.Install for the current user by running 'make INSTALLDIR=~/.gimp-2.4/plug-ins/ install-plugins'.
\Quote.
Do you really have Gimp-2.4 installed?
Because if you have 2.6.x then make cannot find the above address.
I don't have ~/colors in my setup.
I do have ~/.color though,notice the dot and no s,which contains my .icc files (color profiles).
I will wait until I see a response.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:10 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I am soooo sorry!!!
Seriously- when I got back on here- the only reply I saw was the one that said I was contradicting myself. Honestly, I lost my marbles then (metaphorically) & simply had to close my eyes & send a butt ugly portfolio. I truly appreciate your responses. I never imagined I would receive such genuine, in depth & helpful responses. I am so sorry for going a-wall.
---So after a couple of weeks to debrief from insanity, I am ready to put fresh eyes on it & tackle this freakin thing!! If you are still willing to help, you will still be my hero & I promise I wont go a-wall again.

Before I get started- here is a little background about me:
I am currently unemployed & have been for a LONG time. I took courses on photoshop, quark (yeah this was back in 2003) & have a little working knowledge of the programs.
I have sold print advertising (glossy magazine) for five years. I have designed layout after layout & was forced to sit & watch the graphic designers build the ads for me. Sales reps were not allowed to touch the art department computers. Im on the creativity spectrum and not having the opportunity to learn this- has really sucked. Anyhow- the job market is horrendous & not the best time to be in sales regardless, so while unemployed & BROKE I decided to teach myself a little bit of gd while making myself a 12 page career portfolio. I did NOT create this in gimp. I created it in Open Office Draw...it was the only program I knew of that I could use. After finishing it, I made the classic beginner mistake of choosing the worst color to convert from RGB into CMYK...turquois. It wasnt until then, when someone on yahoo answers suggested gimp & that it would give me the capability to create things in CMYK.

Until last fall, I'd never heard of Linux, Ubuntu, SourceForge etc...now I know that they are Operating Systems. Thats it. So add in a Mac...you got one little confused cookie reading instructions online.

I DO have Gimp 2.6.11 installed, not 2.4 -sorry for that confusion.

I DID installed & uninstalled the very old 0.5.8+1. So that isnt a problem

I have separate+_w32_inst_1_0 but havent extracted it yet
--Is this what I need?
--Does it contain the Little Cms library?
--Is C:\Users\Owner\.gimp-2.6\plug-ins\separate+_w32_inst_1_0 the right place extract to?

Thats as far as I am going to cover tonight. Hopefully it will help you help me. backwards jerry maguire

Thanks again for your help. I promise that I will respond to your posts. - : )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:06 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry to hear about your situation flipflop.
I don't use Windows so I can't help you.
Most members of this forum do however so I'm sure someone else will help you.
BTW Vista is the worst Windows version ever made.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:14 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Hi there FlipFlop :) welcome to Gimp Chat.
Just see my other post - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1231#p13964
That should clarify everything for you.
All those execute files go in your plugins folder.
C:\Users\Owner\.gimp-2.6\plug-ins - you only need to move those three exe binary's to that folder.
Now restart Gimp and you will find them under the Image menu item i believe.

yup image/separate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:32 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

flipflop2010 wrote:
Seriously- when I got back on here- the only reply I saw was the one that said I was contradicting myself. Honestly, I lost my marbles then (metaphorically) & simply had to close my eyes & send a butt ugly portfolio.

What was wrong with my reply ? you WAS contradicting yourself that was crystal clear , reply to clearify that point would have helped you to solve much before.

Anyway you was in hurry not me so i have no reasons to complain

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:39 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Yes i agree PhotoComix was only trying to help. :)
We all are willing to help you out any way we can.You must be clear though.
I read through the lines and understood pretty much what you meant, but others could easily get confused.
Next time you need help, make sure and let us know your system too because that helps greatly.
Hope to see you back here more and more.Gimp Chat is a great place to be.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:33 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Ok- I wrote a reply yesterday but it didnt send!

Photocomix--I am SO sorry!!! I was not offended by your comment about me contradicting myself. I am sorry if my words seemed otherwise. I WAS CONTRADICTING MYSELF. I was literally cross eyed when I posted the question and it happened to be the only one I saw. I was on a deadline so I just said screw it and then had to focus on getting it printed which was a whole other nightmare in itself.

I am so sorry that it seemed like I was unappreciative of your help, as I am! :tyspin :coolthup :yr

Gerard- yes Vista is horrible. horrible. Thank you for your help :tyspin :)

Rod- I am in the midst of sending out emails and resumes right now and unfortunately not able to spend much time on gimp. However, as soon as I get a chance- I will come back here and follow your instructions on installing separate+

I am amazed :wow with how nice people are on this forum!! This isnt a US based site is it? Looking forward to getting to know you all better. Thanks again!!! :tyspin :tyspin :tyspin :clap :clap :gimp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:36 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Gerard- yes Vista is horrible. horrible. Thank you for your help :tyspin :)

I like you better already, look forward to getting to know you better, and Glad that the amazing members here could help you out, like they have many times for me.