It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: script request, frame technique
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:27 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

i have a technique i like for making decorativ frames to images, the result looks something like this:

the problem is it takes me ages to go through all the steps for every image on this slow old laptop and i keep wishing i had a script that would do the hard work for me so i could go off and make tea or something in the meantime. it's basically just lots of duplicating layers, blurring, stroking paths and manipulating selections with the selection distort filter. would this be possible to script at all, or does the selection distort filter make it impossible? i have attached an xcf with my steps (selections are saved as channels) for the yoda image.

i'd like to add that i've been a very nice girl this year, and i always, always eat my greens!

Attachments:
Yoda framed.xcf [1.54 MiB]
Downloaded 127 times

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:25 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Is it anything like 'frame [blur]' in G'MIC?
ImageImage

Post subject: Re: script request, frame technique
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:51 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Thinner white border and no shadow (or very little). Only problem I see with this one is the jaggies you get.

Post subject: Re: script request, frame technique
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:37 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne: yes, the g'mic blur frame is what inspired my technique, i really like that filter! but i do it a bit differently, i make a triple stroke path, don't use drop shadow and distort the selection so i don't get regular shapes. i agree about the jaggies, they are a bit annoying, so i prefer to do it "by hand" and get the edges clean (didn't have time for that on the yoda pic, i just posted it as an example). a script really would make it much easier though, it's a shame the g'mic filter doesn't preserve layers.