It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nik Collection (8bf plugins)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:00 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

The Nik Collection (32 and 64 bit Windows and Mac) is now gratis (starting 24 March 2016).
https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

As for me (Vista 32 bits) in Gimp 2.9.3 works well:

Dfine 2
Sharpener Pro 3
Viveza 2

PS. In my old system the installation failed - but I unpacked (450 Mb) it using 7-zip.

Attachments:
NC3.png
NC3.png [ 396.44 KiB | Viewed 13162 times ]
NC2.png
NC2.png [ 841.59 KiB | Viewed 13162 times ]
NC1.png
NC1.png [ 855.87 KiB | Viewed 13162 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Nik Collection (8bf plugins)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:48 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I've never used them, but I'm curious. What kind of processing you can do with those filters that you cannot do already with GIMP + G'MIC + FxFoundry ?
Any idea ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:29 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Beside the fact that Nik Collection doesn't require host application as it also comes as standalone apps that can support GPU image rendering,
there is nothing they can do what GMIC already can, David. I agree with you. Although, I've been using Silver Efex B&W presets as I consider them
better than any other similar raw processing presets, e.g. Lightroom, therefore I did my raw images b&w conversion in Lightroom using Silver Efex presets.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:42 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Ronounours wrote:
I've never used them, but I'm curious. What kind of processing you can do with those filters that you cannot do already with GIMP + G'MIC + FxFoundry ?
Any idea ?

Does the FxFoundry still exist, are the plugins updated, where can it be located, and will it work for Windows 64 Bit?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:40 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

MareroQ wrote:
The Nik Collection (32 and 64 bit Windows and Mac) is now gratis (starting 24 March 2016).
https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

As for me (Vista 32 bits) in Gimp 2.9.3 works well:

Dfine 2
Sharpener Pro 3
Viveza 2

PS. In my old system the installation failed - but I unpacked (450 Mb) it using 7-zip.

I had the same result.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:15 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

A friend flickr mailed me this. Downloading it now. Cool that it appears to work in GIMP. Once downloaded, I'll try to get it to work with PSPI. Really interested in SilverFX Pro. Seen some fantastic interpretations from folk that used this preset over the years. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:21 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

OK; for some reason, I could not get the plugin to work in GIMP or any non-PS program. Not sure why; placed the 32-bit plugin w/ executable in the proper subdirectory but they do not show up. Oh well. I still can use them in PS. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:28 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

As a side note, I can run the programs individually as a self contained program. Sort of not ideal, but at least I don't have to open PS to used the various presets. Not sure is shellout would work though so not bothering with editing the shellout file to execute the presets. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:00 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

as MareroQ said, only 3 of them work (in Gimp)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

When I added them to my PS folder, they did not show up in the GIMP, Diego. I guess I can do a direct path, but again, I will either run the executable directly, or run them in PS. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:01 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

in my system they show up all, but only 3 of them do work
I had to put both the .8bf and the .exe under a folder Google under PSPI accessible folder
Attachment:
CatturaLyle.PNG
CatturaLyle.PNG [ 705.85 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:50 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I did that; plugin never showed up, Diego like I said. Might be a weird interaction with another PS filter I have (seen such behavior before). Not going to remove filters to find out though. Anyway, glad you got it to work. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:53 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

did you put the 32bits version?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:05 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Yes. At first, when I installed the program using installer, I added the GIMP path and it installed a copy of the 64-bit plugins in the GIMP folder which, of course, won't work. I manually deleted the folder then copied the 32-bit plugin and corresponding exe file to the GIMP PSPI directory. No plugin shows up unfortunately. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:56 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

PSPI will only run the 32 bit version as it hasn't been compiled as 64 bit yet. Not for lack of trying lol :)
In my GIMP i have a folder named 8BF and subfolders under that. I created one named NIK and added a new install directory other than cc to the installer
1) Then i copied all the 32 bit and config files to that NIK folder
2) Removed the installed Google folder from the newly installed 8BF/Nik directory
3) Added the path to PSPI.

I lost the Impressionist GIMP menu link again but adding the code back to the pspirc file fixed that. :)
    <entrypoint menu-path="<Image>/Filters/Impressionist/Impressionist..." image-types="GRAY* RGB* " entrypoint="ENTRYPOINT1"/>

Results -
I was only able to get 8 plug-ins to show and 4 to work
viveza, both sharpening and the dfine 2
I suggest using the standalone executables instead.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:29 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

As I already said, I did remove the 64-bit plugins and replaced them with the 32-bit plugins along with the executable inside and within my PS plugins director for PSPI. How does the link look in your pspirc file for NIC, Rod? I can just manually type that in it like I had to for Impressionist (and have to often; lol). :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:00 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Hi.
If you are having trouble installing Nik on Linux with Wine because an error message appears, you must manually create this "resource" folder in the path shown by the error message and then press the "retry" button (I think is "retry" in English) in the error message window. Repeat this for each error message with new paths. This folders where you should create this "resource" folder inside them is "/home/YOUR_USER/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Application Data/Google/

The executables are installed on "/home/YOUR_USER/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Google/Nik Collection/"

By the way, does anyone know how to call the Nik plugins from native Linux GIMP 2.9, 64 bit?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:44 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Anyway, shell out to the rescue. Added the following line to my shellout programs list and DFine works great. :)

["DFine", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Dfine 2\\Dfine 2 (64-Bit)\\Dfine2.exe\"", "png"],

Of course, your path might be different (or you are using a 32-bit OS). I suspect every other program works fine as well this way. Since all the 8bfs do is launch the executable anyway, this is the better solution for me. Again, thanks for RobA for creating this cool python plugin. It continues to amaze me. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:53 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Well, it didn't work for Silver FX Pro unfortunately. I noticed that with this program, you can actually open a file within it (stand-alone) whereas DFine has to be passed the image to be operated on. I'll check all the programs that are stand-alone capable and run them as such. The ones that require a passed image, my bet is Shellout can work with them. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:21 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

OK; found out that the stand-alones can only open jpegs. They can save either jpegs or tiffs. For the stand-alones, if you want, you can always do save as and export the tiff before hitting the save button to return the resulting processed jpeg back to the GIMP. Anyway, below's my list and I checked that they all now work. :)

edit (3/28/2016):

You can open any file type (PNG/JPG/TIF) if you create a shortcut to the executable itself and drag the file on top of the executable; if you do this, just make sure do use a copy (not original). Unfortunately, for the 4 complete stand-alones, Shellout can only either use JPG or TIF (use TIF but you may sometimes get dialogue errors but GIMP will receive the updated edit).

Updated the list and added the pre-sharpener preset too (overlooked it last time since I thought it was something else; it's actually pretty cool for subtle edge sharpening without adding noise). :)

Quote:
["DFine 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Dfine 2\\Dfine 2 (64-Bit)\\Dfine2.exe\"", "png"],
["Sharpener Pro 3", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Sharpener Pro 3\\Sharpener Pro 3 (64-Bit)\\SHP3OS.exe\"", "png"],
["Viveza 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Viveza 2\\Viveza 2 (64-Bit)\\Viveza 2.exe\"", "png"],
["Color Efex Pro 4", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Color Efex Pro 4\\Color Efex Pro 4 (64-Bit)\\Color Efex Pro 4.exe\"", "jpg"],
["Analog Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Analog Efex Pro 2\\Analog Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Analog Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "jpg"],
["HDR Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\HDR Efex Pro 2\\HDR Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\HDR Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "jpg"],
["Silver Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Silver Efex Pro 2\\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Silver Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "jpg"],

Quote:
["DFine 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Dfine 2\\Dfine 2 (64-Bit)\\Dfine2.exe\"", "png"],
["Sharpener Pro 3 pre-sharpener", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Sharpener Pro 3\\Sharpener Pro 3 (64-Bit)\\SHP3RPS.exe\"", "png"],
["Sharpener Pro 3", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Sharpener Pro 3\\Sharpener Pro 3 (64-Bit)\\SHP3OS.exe\"", "png"],
["Viveza 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Viveza 2\\Viveza 2 (64-Bit)\\Viveza 2.exe\"", "png"],
["Color Efex Pro 4", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Color Efex Pro 4\\Color Efex Pro 4 (64-Bit)\\Color Efex Pro 4.exe\"", "tif"],
["Analog Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Analog Efex Pro 2\\Analog Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Analog Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "tif"],
["HDR Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\HDR Efex Pro 2\\HDR Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\HDR Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "tif"],
["Silver Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Silver Efex Pro 2\\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Silver Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "tif"],

Last edited by lylejk on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.