It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nik Collection (8bf plugins)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:01 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

in my system they show up all, but only 3 of them do work
I had to put both the .8bf and the .exe under a folder Google under PSPI accessible folder
Attachment:
CatturaLyle.PNG
CatturaLyle.PNG [ 705.85 KiB | Viewed 7812 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:50 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I did that; plugin never showed up, Diego like I said. Might be a weird interaction with another PS filter I have (seen such behavior before). Not going to remove filters to find out though. Anyway, glad you got it to work. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:53 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

did you put the 32bits version?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:05 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Yes. At first, when I installed the program using installer, I added the GIMP path and it installed a copy of the 64-bit plugins in the GIMP folder which, of course, won't work. I manually deleted the folder then copied the 32-bit plugin and corresponding exe file to the GIMP PSPI directory. No plugin shows up unfortunately. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:56 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

PSPI will only run the 32 bit version as it hasn't been compiled as 64 bit yet. Not for lack of trying lol :)
In my GIMP i have a folder named 8BF and subfolders under that. I created one named NIK and added a new install directory other than cc to the installer
1) Then i copied all the 32 bit and config files to that NIK folder
2) Removed the installed Google folder from the newly installed 8BF/Nik directory
3) Added the path to PSPI.

I lost the Impressionist GIMP menu link again but adding the code back to the pspirc file fixed that. :)
    <entrypoint menu-path="<Image>/Filters/Impressionist/Impressionist..." image-types="GRAY* RGB* " entrypoint="ENTRYPOINT1"/>

Results -
I was only able to get 8 plug-ins to show and 4 to work
viveza, both sharpening and the dfine 2
I suggest using the standalone executables instead.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:29 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

As I already said, I did remove the 64-bit plugins and replaced them with the 32-bit plugins along with the executable inside and within my PS plugins director for PSPI. How does the link look in your pspirc file for NIC, Rod? I can just manually type that in it like I had to for Impressionist (and have to often; lol). :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:00 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Hi.
If you are having trouble installing Nik on Linux with Wine because an error message appears, you must manually create this "resource" folder in the path shown by the error message and then press the "retry" button (I think is "retry" in English) in the error message window. Repeat this for each error message with new paths. This folders where you should create this "resource" folder inside them is "/home/YOUR_USER/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Application Data/Google/

The executables are installed on "/home/YOUR_USER/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Google/Nik Collection/"

By the way, does anyone know how to call the Nik plugins from native Linux GIMP 2.9, 64 bit?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:44 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Anyway, shell out to the rescue. Added the following line to my shellout programs list and DFine works great. :)

["DFine", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Dfine 2\\Dfine 2 (64-Bit)\\Dfine2.exe\"", "png"],

Of course, your path might be different (or you are using a 32-bit OS). I suspect every other program works fine as well this way. Since all the 8bfs do is launch the executable anyway, this is the better solution for me. Again, thanks for RobA for creating this cool python plugin. It continues to amaze me. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:53 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Well, it didn't work for Silver FX Pro unfortunately. I noticed that with this program, you can actually open a file within it (stand-alone) whereas DFine has to be passed the image to be operated on. I'll check all the programs that are stand-alone capable and run them as such. The ones that require a passed image, my bet is Shellout can work with them. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:21 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

OK; found out that the stand-alones can only open jpegs. They can save either jpegs or tiffs. For the stand-alones, if you want, you can always do save as and export the tiff before hitting the save button to return the resulting processed jpeg back to the GIMP. Anyway, below's my list and I checked that they all now work. :)

edit (3/28/2016):

You can open any file type (PNG/JPG/TIF) if you create a shortcut to the executable itself and drag the file on top of the executable; if you do this, just make sure do use a copy (not original). Unfortunately, for the 4 complete stand-alones, Shellout can only either use JPG or TIF (use TIF but you may sometimes get dialogue errors but GIMP will receive the updated edit).

Updated the list and added the pre-sharpener preset too (overlooked it last time since I thought it was something else; it's actually pretty cool for subtle edge sharpening without adding noise). :)

Quote:
["DFine 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Dfine 2\\Dfine 2 (64-Bit)\\Dfine2.exe\"", "png"],
["Sharpener Pro 3", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Sharpener Pro 3\\Sharpener Pro 3 (64-Bit)\\SHP3OS.exe\"", "png"],
["Viveza 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Viveza 2\\Viveza 2 (64-Bit)\\Viveza 2.exe\"", "png"],
["Color Efex Pro 4", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Color Efex Pro 4\\Color Efex Pro 4 (64-Bit)\\Color Efex Pro 4.exe\"", "jpg"],
["Analog Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Analog Efex Pro 2\\Analog Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Analog Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "jpg"],
["HDR Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\HDR Efex Pro 2\\HDR Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\HDR Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "jpg"],
["Silver Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Silver Efex Pro 2\\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Silver Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "jpg"],

Quote:
["DFine 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Dfine 2\\Dfine 2 (64-Bit)\\Dfine2.exe\"", "png"],
["Sharpener Pro 3 pre-sharpener", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Sharpener Pro 3\\Sharpener Pro 3 (64-Bit)\\SHP3RPS.exe\"", "png"],
["Sharpener Pro 3", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Sharpener Pro 3\\Sharpener Pro 3 (64-Bit)\\SHP3OS.exe\"", "png"],
["Viveza 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Viveza 2\\Viveza 2 (64-Bit)\\Viveza 2.exe\"", "png"],
["Color Efex Pro 4", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Color Efex Pro 4\\Color Efex Pro 4 (64-Bit)\\Color Efex Pro 4.exe\"", "tif"],
["Analog Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Analog Efex Pro 2\\Analog Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Analog Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "tif"],
["HDR Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\HDR Efex Pro 2\\HDR Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\HDR Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "tif"],
["Silver Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Silver Efex Pro 2\\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Silver Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "tif"],

Last edited by lylejk on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:56 am  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
As I already said, I did remove the 64-bit plugins and replaced them with the 32-bit plugins along with the executable inside and within my PS plugins director for PSPI. How does the link look in your pspirc file for NIC, Rod? I can just manually type that in it like I had to for Impressionist (and have to often; lol). :)

They all look something like this Lyle.
  <ps-plug-in path="C:\Users\Rod\Desktop\FILES\8BF\NIK\SHP3OS.8bf" timestamp="1433853258">
    <entrypoint menu-path="<Image>/Filters/Nik Collection/Sharpener Pro 3: (2) Output Sharpener" image-types="RGB* " entrypoint="PluginMain"/>

Too bad there isn't one main NIK executable to link Shellout to for the entire collection.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:17 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Still, I just as well use shellout then have PSPI work and glad I got all 7 NIC programs working in the GIMP now. Thanks for the extra info, Rod, but, again, I'll just stick with Shellout. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:39 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Someone at another forum noted that you can drag and drop for the 4 stand-alones any file type (tif, jpeg, or png). That led me to try tif again. I still occasionally get errors box pop-up with tif but the layer gets transferred back to GIMP. I guess I assumed you coundn't pass tif due to the error box. You still cannot pass png though. Now at least you can work with alpha channels too. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:01 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

If you want to use the HDR efex pro 2, it can't be done with ShellOut. (?) So you have to copy the original bracket images, then you select them al and put them on the HDR Efex Pro 2.exe extension.

HDR Efex Pro 2 saves a new HDR image. In my windows-system, I could find them back in my documents folder.

With tiffs I got also an error (in the other software of the NIK Collection): "Incompatible type for "RichTIFFIPTC"; tag ignored". Is there something I can do about that? With PNG, I don't get errors.

All the programs of the NIK Collection do work with ShellOut. With all alternative 8bf-hosts, I had some trouble. It depents on the 8bf-hosts, they give different results.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:30 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

It can be done; just you cannot pass the result back to GIMP; you have to saveas and then import that back into the GIMP. Of course I'm only talking about the tonemap ability. To do true HDR, you have to use the bracketing option, thus, you have to run it as a stand-alone. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:17 am  (#26) 

I am having trouble getting shellout to show up in my filters even when I use a "fresh" shellout.py file downloaded from the repository. I am putting the file in the folder that is listed in my preferences. Is there something else I can do to get shellout to show in my filters drop down? I'm not worried about changing the python script, as I can do that after I get the script to show in GIMP

Gimp 2.8.16 running on windows 7 64bit

Thanks,

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:13 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

First, make sure you have python installed (do you see the python console option in the filters drop-down menu?). Then, make sure you have the shellout file in your plugins directory (not script-fu; python scripts are considered plugins as far as the GIMP is concerned). :)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:57 pm  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

Hi,
Bernhard Huber has a post on this that dates from May 2013:
Quote:
Using NikSoftware in GIMP
Recently I bought NikSoftware Filters, like Color Efex, or Silver Efex. Usually I use them from Lightroom4, and that’s okay for me.
Now I don’t own Photoshop, but I have installed Gimp 2.8.4, and from time to time I use various Gimp filters like G’MIC, or National Geographic.
@ http://bernhardhuber.blogspot.ca/2013/0 ... -gimp.html

Rather than using PSPI, he suggests using Gimp ShellOut plugin from http://registry.gimp.org/node/24977.

He also includes a modified programlist section where he points to each NikSoftware .exe module. I am using GIMP 2.8.14, and his modification did not quite work as planned, the file was exported to the correct module, but the original file was imported back to GIMP rather than the NikSoftware Filters modified copy of the file.

I decided to try another approach: I changed all the .exe extensions to .8bf and all is now good.

I hope that this helps others who have been having problems integrating NikSoftware into newer versions on GIMP.

Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:04 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

pauls46 wrote:
Hi,
Bernhard Huber has a post on this that dates from May 2013:
Quote:
Using NikSoftware in GIMP
Recently I bought NikSoftware Filters, like Color Efex, or Silver Efex. Usually I use them from Lightroom4, and that’s okay for me.
Now I don’t own Photoshop, but I have installed Gimp 2.8.4, and from time to time I use various Gimp filters like G’MIC, or National Geographic.
@ http://bernhardhuber.blogspot.ca/2013/0 ... -gimp.html

Rather than using PSPI, he suggests using Gimp ShellOut plugin from http://registry.gimp.org/node/24977.

He also includes a modified programlist section where he points to each NikSoftware .exe module. I am using GIMP 2.8.14, and his modification did not quite work as planned, the file was exported to the correct module, but the original file was imported back to GIMP rather than the NikSoftware Filters modified copy of the file.

I decided to try another approach: I changed all the .exe extensions to .8bf and all is now good.

I hope that this helps others who have been having problems integrating NikSoftware into newer versions on GIMP.

Paul

That's exactly what I'm doing, Paul (use Shellout). Changed some of the jpg passes to tif since tif supports alpha channels (you may get some error messages but you can just ignore them since this works). Can't use the png option since NIK filters don't recognize PNG for whatever reason. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:28 pm  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:

Updated the list and added the pre-sharpener preset too (overlooked it last time since I thought it was something else; it's actually pretty cool for subtle edge sharpening without adding noise). :)

Quote:
["Sharpener Pro 3 pre-sharpener", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Sharpener Pro 3\\Sharpener Pro 3 (64-Bit)\\SHP3RPS.exe\"", "png"],
["Color Efex Pro 4", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Color Efex Pro 4\\Color Efex Pro 4 (64-Bit)\\Color Efex Pro 4.exe\"", "tif"],
["Analog Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Analog Efex Pro 2\\Analog Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Analog Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "tif"],
["HDR Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\HDR Efex Pro 2\\HDR Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\HDR Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "tif"],
["Silver Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Silver Efex Pro 2\\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Silver Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "tif"],

Thanks, you did the hard work... I copied and pasted.
They seem to be working good.
Thanks, everyone involved ! :tyspin