It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nik Plugins on Mac
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:05 pm  (#1) 

Hello All,

New user of GIMP and new to GIMP Chat...hello.

I've been playing around with GIMP 2.8 and Partha's GIMP 2.9-cc build on both Windows and Mac. On Windows side (GIMP 2.8) I have access to the Nik Collection plugins via Filters>Photography. I'd really like to use these plugins on my Mac, too, but after my attempts at tweaking the script I can't get it to work. Well, I don't really know that it doesn't work because I have no "photography" menu item under Filters. Has anybody ported these scripts to Mac? If so, where can I get them? If not, can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Nik Plugins on Mac
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:38 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Alan, I installed Partha's 2.9 for Mac as well as downloading and installing the Nik Collection. It worked - the Nik was under "Filters" and would open up in it's own window as G'mic does. I've since taken both off my system - I know that Nik was placed in my applications folder but don't quite remember if I also placed it in the plugins folder as well.

I would just send Partha a quick email.

G'mic 1.6.5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:55 pm  (#3) 

Dalia, Thank you, I really appreciate the help. I do have the Nik Collection installed on my Mac and it works fine in other applications so I don't think there is anything amiss there. I would have sworn I read somewhere that Partha had included the Nik plug-ins with 2.9, but even if I copy the apps to the appropriate folder I still don't have them.

Ya know...I just had a thought...I'm running the experimental 2.9-cc version that was built from Elle Stone's efforts. I'm wondering now if I download the "regular" 2.9 I'll have it? Hmm, will have to try that. Please let me know if you hear anything from Partha.

Thanks, again!

Update: Yep, that's it! The "regular" 2.9 experimental has the Nik Collection. For some reason, it is not included in the color corrected version. Whew...solved!! :) I really hope that Partha includes it in the cc version because I don't like being stuck with GIMP's sRGB standard with regard to colorspace and some tools/operations.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:23 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Glad that worked for you Alan!

G'mic 1.6.5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:11 am  (#5) 

Alan9940 wrote:
Dalia, Thank you, I really appreciate the help. I do have the Nik Collection installed on my Mac and it works fine in other applications so I don't think there is anything amiss there. I would have sworn I read somewhere that Partha had included the Nik plug-ins with 2.9, but even if I copy the apps to the appropriate folder I still don't have them.

Ya know...I just had a thought...I'm running the experimental 2.9-cc version that was built from Elle Stone's efforts. I'm wondering now if I download the "regular" 2.9 I'll have it? Hmm, will have to try that. Please let me know if you hear anything from Partha.

Thanks, again!

Update: Yep, that's it! The "regular" 2.9 experimental has the Nik Collection. For some reason, it is not included in the color corrected version. Whew...solved!! :) I really hope that Partha includes it in the cc version because I don't like being stuck with GIMP's sRGB standard with regard to colorspace and some tools/operations.

Hi Alan,

I just encounted the same problem, and then I took the script written by RobA and have it modified to work on Mac.

Please feel free to try it: please go to github website and search for "mac nik gimp" (I am a new user and not allowed to put URL)