It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joining up letters: A nod to Do you think Gimp will ever replace PS)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:01 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

In an earlier post I wrote about the problem that I had in displaying Unicode characters in a font within Gimp.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14790

I have since found out that if I use a unicode font I can make life a lot simpler for myself.

I have adjusted the code for joining up a dedicated unicode font and placed it in a python filter plugin (Gimp 2.8) and have created some appropriate fonts. This filter doubles as a primer for producing handwriting primer worksheets (English only sorry).

The last time I looked at Photoshop I couldn't have used it to create this type of action (macro) code.

If you want to play, download the zip. Open and extract the fonts to your gimp user fonts location and copy the plugin to your user plugin folder.
The filter to use the fonts will be found under the Filters>Text FX > Joined-Up Text...

The fonts are variations of one style. I was intending to look at other font variations (letters f, z s etc) - but the urge has left me (I am happy to say).
Attachment:
JoiningFonts.zip [117.02 KiB]
Downloaded 144 times

Answers on a postcard to the usual place please...

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Paragrapher v.1.4
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Joining up letters: A nod to Do you think Gimp will ever replace P
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:20 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

You can divide the source code by at least 4 (and make it a lot more maintenable) by using dictionaries.

Post subject: Re: Joining up letters: A nod to Do you think Gimp will ever replace P
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:55 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

This script woks well and is easy to use for a signiture

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:25 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan

Looks good - very good in fact. I hadn't actually done anything creative with the script. Now that you have inspired me, I suppose any call for a flowing text such as neon signs could make use of this sort of script.

Thanks again.

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Paragrapher v.1.4
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases