It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New version of Joined-up Text filter (Version 2.00)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:01 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

This is a major update to my plugin to emulate joined-up writing: The filter now places the joined-up text onto the current path as a non-text layer. Where there is no path the text will be presented as an editable text layer.

Attachment:
JoinedUpV2.zip [122.28 KiB]
Downloaded 235 times

The filter dialog box provides the following options:

Joined-up fonts

Font size

Text colour

Multi-line Text entry: Although this is a multi-line box, the text is converted to a single line by the filter. Sometimes it is easier to view the text when it is split up into sections.

Text size step change: This can be positive or negative to increase or decrease the font size as the text follows the line of the path. Set at zero, it will behave the same way as Gimp's own 'Text along path' option.

Change size with spaces: An option to change the step size after each space character; as opposed to the default option of changing step size after each character.

Compensate for changes in curved paths: This option attempts to keep the joined-up characters as joined as possible (obviously there are limits since the greater the curves along the path the greater the deformation along the path).
This is a bit iffy since the maths to do it properly is way beyond me - but I have tried - and occasionally it fails spectacularly!

Compensation multiplier: Works with the above option to boost the compensating effect - use higher amounts for stronger curves in paths.

Adjust spacing between characters: This option increases or decreases an equal amount of spacing adjustment between characters as opposed to using a proportional adjustment.

Retain layers: Option to retain the individual layers created by the filter.

Retain paths: Option to retain the individual character paths created by the filter.

Alternative letter options: As in previous filter versions.

There is no longer an option to set the position of the text within the image since this no longer makes any sense.

This filter uses parts of code taken from Ofnuts 'Text along path' and Trandoductin's 'Custom font on path'. Without their code I would not have been able to attempt this filter. I am endebted to their work.

I have updated two of the fonts after discovering minor discrepencies in the joining ligatures for one or two characters and I have included all the necessary fonts in the zip file for the sake of completedness.

The example images below have had no additional filters applied to them. The path used was a 5 coil spiral made with Arakne's Path Shape Creator filter. Image from Wikipedia Commons - Words by Lennon and McCartney.

Attachment:
RustyAngelsSet1b.jpg
RustyAngelsSet1b.jpg [ 889.98 KiB | Viewed 4384 times ]

Attachment:
RustyAngelsSet2b.jpg
RustyAngelsSet2b.jpg [ 526.35 KiB | Viewed 4384 times ]

Link to post detailing JAZZON's solutions for scrolling py script user interface:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13714

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Paragrapher v.1.4
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: New version of Joined-up Text filter (Version 2.00)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:18 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

This looks very interesting. Having placed the py file appropriately how do I access this?

Post subject: Re: New version of Joined-up Text filter (Version 2.00)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:21 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Follow:
Filters>>Text FX>>Joined-up Text...

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Paragrapher v.1.4
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases