It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Script help
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:43 am  (#1) 

Hi

I'm new to using GIMP. I need to add several empty layers to a large batch of images. Previously I've just been doing it manually one image at a time via Layer>New Layer but is there a way to do this to a whole folder of images in one go? I did have a google around but I couldn't find anything useful as far as I could tell.

Many thanks for any help.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Script help
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:34 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Click on the small icon (looks like a small square on top of another square) under the Layers tab, this will duplicate the selected layer, click it as many times in succession to get the required number of duplicates.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:57 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

If the layers are empty what is the purpose of adding them with a script?

Besides Zero01's suggestion, if all images are the same size, you can make an image with only a bunch of empty layers, save it as XCF, and then in your images use File>Open as layers, select the prepared image and have Gimp add all its layers to your current image.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:08 am  (#4) 

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I need to do stuff to the layers after but seein as I'm working on a large number of images just being able to automatically add the layers to a whole folder of images would save me hours of work (there are hundreds of images). I've read about batch mode for GIMP, is it possible to add layers via this? Or some other method?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:53 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

With AnimStack you can easily add as many empty frames you want.
Install latest version of Animstack: http://registry.gimp.org/node/26501
Drop the scm to your scripts folder and go to menu/filters/script-fu/refresh scripts, or restart Gimp.

Open your image, create one empty layer.
Right click the layer in layers toolbox and select : edit layer attributes. type [*100] after the layer name, hit enter. (for 100 frames).

Go to Filters/Animation/Process animstack tags. 100 layer copies will be created.

There's also a python plugin called "new transparent image sized layer", to create transparent layers faster using a key-combo.
The normal way ctrl+shift+N brings a pop-up window and you need to confirm.
Made by Tin, more info and download in his forum:
https://www.gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=444