It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Latest GIMP Scripts & Plug-ins

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elsamuko National Geographic Explained???
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:48 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi there.
Is here anyone who can explain for me step-by-step what the Elsamuko National Geographic script does???
I want to be able to replicate it manually and fully understand what the script does step-by-step...
Anyone knows and can explain?
(i do not understand the scm file in text editor)

Thanks

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Elsamuko National Geographic Explained???
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:48 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Looks like the script applies a number of filters to a portrait.
https://sites.google.com/site/elsamuko/gimp/ng
To find out what the script does, open it in a text editor and read what filters it uses and the sequence they are applied in.
SCM scripts are generally quite readable. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:47 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

well, mister, thank you very much to wasting the time. If i could read it, i wont write here that i cant. I did open the scm and had try to find out what it does, but there is more than filters only. there are some manipulations with layers, some layer deletings, invertings and many other stuf, and does not seems to me its written human readable way - its machine language i can not figure out.
Thats why i am asking if there is someone who can explain the procedure in human language, in chronological steps...
Thanks

Tas_mania wrote:
Looks like the script applies a number of filters to a portrait.

To find out what the script does, open it in a text editor and read what filters it uses and the sequence they are applied in.
SCM scripts are generally quite readable. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:56 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry to upset you, I didn't realise you had read the scrip. This script calls 2 other scripts (shadow recovery and smart sharpen) so there would be many steps in obtaining the finished image.
It looks like there are some user adjustable parameters in it as well.
The script does define what filters and layer manipulations are used. (contrast, 3 different layer copy modes, 3 new layers, change modes and opacity of those new layers, add layermask, add red and blue overlay tints)
Maybe all this gets anchored-down into one or two layers, I've never used it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:11 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Not upset, just trying to explain.
That is exactly what i am looking for. A description step-by-step of all operations done by the script (with default values), to be able reproduce it manually...
Anyone who can explain, or already have seen a text explaining it step-by-step?
I found one, but it was for the older version and it was in german... So completelly useless for me on the most recent version

Tas_mania wrote:
Sorry to upset you, I didn't realise you had read the scrip. This script calls 2 other scripts (shadow recovery and smart sharpen) so there would be many steps in obtaining the finished image.
It looks like there are some user adjustable parameters in it as well.
The script does define what filters and layer manipulations are used. (contrast, 3 different layer copy modes, 3 new layers, change modes and opacity of those new layers, add layermask, add red and blue overlay tints)
Maybe all this gets anchored-down into one or two layers, I've never used it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:15 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Or maybe an advise or recommendation to some other forum where i could find help with this???
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

1 thing that could help you or any one wanting to understand scheme (script-fu's) is to read the many tutorials on this site Here [Fenceposts tutorials are excellent]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:47 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

afarkasg wrote:
... A description step-by-step of all operations done by the script (with default values), to be able reproduce it manually...
Anyone who can explain, or already have seen a text explaining it step-by-step?
I found one, but it was for the older version and it was in german... So completelly useless for me on the most recent version

I do not think you are going to get that.

There are headings in the script which I pulled out for you. But you see even an outline is complicated.

Make a load of layers     

MaskImage
MaskLayer
OrigLayer
HSVImage
SharpenLayer

shadow recovery procedure from: http://registry.gimp.org/node/112
smart sharpen procedure from: http://registry.gimp.org/node/108

enhance local contrast

copy visible three times

desaturate layers
set modes - opacity
layermask for the screen layer
overlay tint - red  or blue

A very similar end result is the Dragan Effect and here there are some tutorials in English to help (one attached).

edit: Should have just posted the link to the web site: http://www.mora-foto.it/en/tutorials-gi ... ffect.html I mistakenly thought it was dead ;)

I would start with that and by the time you fully understand the procedure, you will half way to deciphering National Geographic.

Attachments:
Dragan Effect.pdf.zip [528.86 KiB]
Downloaded 6 times

Last edited by rich2005 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 am  (#9) 
Script Coder

Tas_mania wrote:

No, it doesn't, the code of these scripts is shamelessly copied to/embedded in the code of the script.

To the OP, the problem with your question is that writing a real answer would take a long afternoon, (possibly wasting time on bits you have already understood) and nobody has really got this much free time. Over on Gimp-Forum.net we can try to address specific points.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:17 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Here is the description i found in german:
1. Kopiere das Originalbild 2 mal und wandle die Kopien in SW um und invertiere sie.
2. Nun gibst Du der ersten Kopie eine Ebenenmaske, kopierst die zweite Kopie und fügst sie in die Ebenenmaske der ersten Kopie ein.
3. Die Ebenenmaske leicht weichzeichnen (Gauss, je nach Bildgröße ca. 10-30 px)
4. Die zweite Kopie kann gelöscht werden; die erste Kopie mit der Maske nun auf Modus "Ineinanderkopieren" (probiere auch mal "Weiches Licht") setzen, Deckkraft anpassen, im script sind es 60%
5. Die Ebenen vereinen und zwei neue Kopien machen
6. Die untere Kopie kräftig mit USM schärfen (z.B. 2px, 200%)
7. Auf die obere Kopie einen Kantenfilter anwenden (im skript ist es Sobel, je nach Bild kann auch ein anderer gut sein). Das Kantenbild in SW umwandeln und den Kontrast erhöhen, das Bild muss weiße Kanten auf schwarzem Grund zeigen.
8. Nun dem geschärften Bild wieder eine Ebenenmaske geben, dann das Kantenbild kopieren und in die Ebenenmaske einfügen (wie oben auch); das Kantenbild kann jetzt gelöscht werden.
9. Die geschärfte Ebene mit der Kantenmaske auf Modus "Leuchtkraft" setzen, Deckkraft ca. bei 80%
10. Die Ebenen wieder vereinen
11. Den lokalen Kontrast erhöhen durch USM mit großem Radius und geringem Wert (ca. 60 px und 30-40%)
12. Jetzt nochmal zwei Kopien machen und beide in SW umwandeln
13. Die untere auf Modus "Bildschirm" setzen bei ca. 60% Deckkraft
14. Die obere auf Modus "Ineinanderkopieren" oder "Weiches Licht" bei 100%
15. Im Prinzip fertig, zur Verbesserung (empfohlen, im script als wählbare Option), der Bildschirm-Ebene noch eine Ebenenmaske geben, dort eine Kopie dieser Ebene einfügen, die Maske invertieren und weichzeichnen (wie in den ersten Schritten)
16. Zur Verstärkung des Effektes evtl. die Ineinanderkopieren-Ebene nochmal duplizieren und im gleichen Modus die Deckkraft verringern (ca.25%).

I dont understand german, the google translation is a mess in any language i know