It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Pencil feature does not work...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:16 am  (#1) 

Hello,
I am trying to use the Pencil feature.
When I open up a new jpg image I am able to use the Pencil feature.
However, after I use the Text feature, the pencil feature stops working. Nothing happens. Even when I go to Undo, it doesn't have the last Text event I have tried to execute, so it is not as if the Pencil feature is working, but only in the background, or in the same colour as the background, or just hidden etc...
Please can you tell me what I'm doing wrong. I hope I'm only being a numpty, but it's driving me nuts!
Many thanks,
Brian.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: The Pencil feature does not work...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:48 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Have you made sure you do not have any selections other than where you are working. That you have the correct layer selected too.

Any selection even on another layer or outside of where you are working and it will not work. Also if you have the wrong layer selected it will work but on that layer not the one you intend. Remember the text is a layer on it's own as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:27 am  (#3) 

Hello Sallyanne,
Yes, you're right, I can see now that I am still inside the Text selection field.
This is probably a dumb question for you, but how do I get out of the Text selection field?
Many thanks,
Brian.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:05 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Hello,

I am having the exact same problem! I've just designed some business cards with a gradient layer plus image layers, with the last layer being a text layer and now all I want to do is add some basic lines using the pencil or paintbrush tool and it doesn't seem to show which is making me think it is not the correct layer. I am self taught through online tutorials but I cannot find the answer anywhere! Is anyone able to shed some light on this please.

TIA

Mel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:38 pm  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Brizy12 wrote:
Hello Sallyanne,
Yes, you're right, I can see now that I am still inside the Text selection field.
This is probably a dumb question for you, but how do I get out of the Text selection field?
Many thanks,
Brian.

To get out of the text selection field either go back to your background layer or add another transparent layer on top and work on that one. (Depends if you want your other work to show over your text or not.) You can merge it down after you have done what you want to do - Dont 'flatten' it, merge it down. Flattening will take out any transparency you have.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:40 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Mel79 wrote:
Hello,

I am having the exact same problem! I've just designed some business cards with a gradient layer plus image layers, with the last layer being a text layer and now all I want to do is add some basic lines using the pencil or paintbrush tool and it doesn't seem to show which is making me think it is not the correct layer. I am self taught through online tutorials but I cannot find the answer anywhere! Is anyone able to shed some light on this please.

TIA

Mel

Same as above Mel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:38 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Your text layer is only as big as your text is.
So when you change the tool you are still on the (too small) text layer and try to draw where there is no layer.
Create a new (transparent) layer first, then draw and you should be fine.

(Gimp 2.10 on Linux Mint MATE 20.1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:46 am  (#8) 

Thank you Nelo, you're right, but what a mission just to draw a simple line.
Best wishes,
Brian.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:24 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for your help Nelo & Sallyanne. I tried adding a 'new from visible' layer last night and it seemed to work but I'm not sure exactly what it does other than.

Mel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:28 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I've also had a nightmare trying to draw a simple straight line even when I've added guidelines. I've tried holding down the cursor but it doesn't take the line to exactly where I want it to be. Not sure if anyone else has this much trouble!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:35 am  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Click on your canvas then without moving your cursor yet, press the shift button and hold it down until you get the line in the place you want.

Also if you are using guides you can check in 'view' "Snap to guides" then, your line should snap to the closest guide. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:52 am  (#12) 
Script Coder

Brizy12 wrote:
Thank you Nelo, you're right, but what a mission just to draw a simple line.
Best wishes,
Brian.

Keeping things on separate layers is the way Gimp is designed to work, because you can still change your mind later. If you work on a single layer, combining pixels is quick, but decombining them is nearly impossible.