It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Debugging A GIMP Plugin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:16 am  (#1) 

GIMP Fans :hi5,
I am new to working with GIMP plugins, and python.
However i am a lifetime user of GIMP.

I have a plugin (GAP Filter plugin) downloaded and installed from macports,that is not working , when i try to use it.
How do i go about debugging the plugin, which is an executable, and so i cant even read the source code.
Any inputs would be appreciated.
https://youtu.be/EKTZd3qDra8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Debugging A GIMP Plugin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:10 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Try and launch gimp from a terminal with the '--verbose' switch. Then you then will see any plugins that failed when gimp starts or the error when gap is started.

I recently compiled gap for ubuntu. It had 1 dependency libfaac0.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:32 am  (#3) 

Mate,
Thanks for the prompt reply .

Launching from the command line on a mac is also a bother for me. It says Cannot open Display.

Launching in interactive mode is showing a GTK warning
Launching gimp in interactive mode with sudo switch is showing some additional errors.

I have two installs of GIMP on my mac, one downloaded months ago from the gimp website, and the other using macports. Only the official gimp website one works and so i just pointed the plugins from the macport install found at /opt/local/lib to the working GIMP app. I am not aware of how to download the gimp gap filter any other way to use directly with my working GIMP app.

hope that helps.

*EDIT

I did some checking on the net and realised an environment variable DISPLAY was not set in bash_history with a value ':0'.
I have also downloaded the missing script-fu.init file from gitlab dot gnome mentioned in the screenshot above and placed in the scripts folder in /opt/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/script-fu.

Now the only error i get while i try different switches is

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:13 am  (#4) 

Ok.
I managed to get GIMP working from the command line, and the plugins too including GAP are loading fine without crashing.

It turns out the version of Mac OS (high Sierra) does not have the XWindows port (XQuartz) and you have to download it ,and 'unset' the DISPLAY environment variable in your bashrc / profile.