It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My latest Luminosity Masks script
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:30 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

In my previous Luminosity Masks script (david2_lum_mask.py) I added a routine to equalize the channel used for creating masks, so that it would be more effective for low-contrast images. But there was still a problem in that the middle channels covered a wide part of the brightness spectrum and the successive lighter and darker channels became narrower and narrower.

In my latest experimental version I have added a curve to largely eliminate the difference in "spread" between the channels. (Only 8 channels at present)

The new version is: davidx_lum_mask.py. It will be found under "Python-Fu" as "Davidx Luminosity Masks...".

I would have been unable to create this without the help of Ofnuts sorting out my problems and of course not forgetting Tim who programmed the original python routine for me.

I hope people will download this, try it, and give me feedback as to its usefullness.

david.

Attachment:
davidx_lum_mask.zip [2.28 KiB]
Downloaded 246 times

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: My latest Luminosity Masks script
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:33 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I have done a major revision of my experimental Luminosity Mask plugin in the first post of this thread (davidx_lum_mask.py).

The new version is

Attachment:
lum_mask_dm.zip [3.03 KiB]
Downloaded 241 times

It now has the option to select 4, 6, 8, or 10 masked layers. It deletes the temporary channels as soon as they are no longer required - hopefully reducing the memory requirements. It still retains the equalisation to increase its usefulness for low-contrast images and the curve to equalize the spread of brightness in the masks. The layer names have become more sensible!

Feedback and suggestions are most welcome.

david.

EDIT: 5 September 2020. I have modified the script to remove any pre-existing selection which would cause problems in use.
Moved the spline curve before the desaturation of the mask creation layer.
Latest version is above.