It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HN: Draw shape - Create paths draw shapes simultaneously and easily
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:45 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

This plug-in can be used to create various shapes such as rectangles, ellipses, stars, hearts and many more. The position and size of the selected shape is initially determined using a square or round selection. According to the settings in the plugin interface, a path is first created, which is then traced and/or filled with different elements.
Attachment:
File comment: HN: Draw shape - Examples
HN Draw shape; Examples1.png
HN Draw shape; Examples1.png [ 2.52 MiB | Viewed 2094 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: HN: Draw shape - More Examples
HN Draw shape; Examples3.png
HN Draw shape; Examples3.png [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 2094 times ]
Version maintenance:
2021-01-21 First version of the plugin, that I have been developing since the end of November 2020.
2022-03-31 Extensions/Improvements:
The configuration file "Plugin-Start.txt" has been expanded to include the setting "showHints". The default setting is "True". Is it set to "False", the box "Current Hits" will not be displayed. This reduces the size of the user interface.
2022-04-20 Extensions/Improvements:
Adaptation of the calls to create circular arcs, due to the correction of the library function.
2023-08-27 Extensions/Improvements:
For the square shape, changing the shape width/height was not properly handled.
Some code fixes for later migration from Python 2 to Python 3.
Attention: The new library is necessary!
2023-10-14 Extensions/Improvements:
Fixed bug when loading tool presets when the detailed description contains the "=" character.
When naming the tool presets, all characters ~“#%&*:<>?/\{|}ÄÖÜäöüß are converted to _.
Added new shape "Coordinate axes" in different types and positions, with/without grid.
2023-10-15 Extensions/Improvements:
With the "Coordinate axes" shape, the deletion of existing layer content was not complete.
Attention: The new library is necessary!

Tested with:
GIMP 2.10.34 (Revision 2) installed on Windows 10, Debian Linux und Manjaro Linux.

Installation description:
Descriptions in English and German for installing the plug-in and the associated library module on Windows 10, Debian Linux and Manjaro Linux.

Download plug-in, library (module) and installation description:
Downloads (DON'T FORGET THE LIBRARY) :coolthup In the base directory you will find an English and German installation description!

Important:
This plugin will consist of two parts. The plugin "HN-Form-zeichnen_YYYY-MM-DD.zip" and a library module "HN_Bibliothek_YYYY-MM-DD.zip".
Therefore, please ALWAYS install or update the plug-in and the library module together!

The library module is also used by the other plug-in I created "HN-Draw-arrow" for drawing arrows.
If you are interested in this plugin too, just have a look at the topic "HN: Draw arrow - Arrows, block and flow diagrams and dimensioning".

Tips for quick starters:
- Unzip "HN-Form-zeichnen_YYYY-MM-DD.zip" into the private "plug-ins" folder and "HN_Bibliothek_YYYY-MM-DD.zip" in the private "modules" folder.
- For information on contents of the download folder, please read the file "!LiesMich+ReadMe.txt"!

Finally, I would have the following wishes:
1. In computer science, the principle "No program without errors" applies. So if you find a bug in my plug-in, please don't complain, but describe the bug in as much detail as possible and let me know.
2. English is not my native language. If you have any suggestions for improvements to the interface, help, messages, or anything else, please let me know as well.

Attachments:
File comment: UI depending on showHints in Plugin-Start.txt
UI depending on showHints in Plugin-Start.txt.png
UI depending on showHints in Plugin-Start.txt.png [ 155.64 KiB | Viewed 2094 times ]

Last edited by Herbie on Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:41 am, edited 42 times in total.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: HN-Draw-shape: Create paths draw shapes simultaneously and easily
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:19 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for this Herbie. If we find a bug, should we tell you about it in this thread or somewhere else?

Post subject: Re: HN: Draw shape - Create paths draw shapes simultaneously and easil
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:20 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

With the version from 02/14/2021 I realized the shapes "flower", "drop" and "cross"!
Attachment:
HN-Form-zeichnen; Bespiele+Examples3.png
HN-Form-zeichnen; Bespiele+Examples3.png [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 19881 times ]

Post subject: Re: HN: Draw shape - Create paths draw shapes simultaneously and easil
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:36 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Herbie.

I admire Your work on this plugin :yes - so let me share a few small comments: :mrgreen:

1. Redundant message when loading Gimp (applies to non-English version)

repeated every time the plugin is started.

2. Window too stretched at each start (requires edge drag). Maybe make the window smaller by not using PF_SLIDER (PF_SPINNER only)?

3. The created path should be visible (or optional) by default.
4. Probably a small error in the tip:

5. Can every change in the xml file resulting from the plugin development be separated (eg at the end of the file) - because what I finish translating into PL, you release a new version :) (and it is appropriate to start the translation from scratch - because it's a total of 1275 lines ).

Moreover, I renew my request to consider adding shapes from UNICODE signs.
Why? Because there are thousands of possible shapes, and probably only GTK can provide a good preview of what will be generated.

Attachments:
Draw5.png
Draw5.png [ 12.22 KiB | Viewed 19826 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:18 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

To all users of my plugin who have a language setting other than "System Language", "English" or "German"!

When starting the plugin, unnecessary error messages appear that are really annoying.
Please install the current version of the plugin!

I apologize!

@MareroQ: Thanks for the hints!

Post subject: Re: HN-Draw-shape: Create paths draw shapes simultaneously and easily
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:37 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Thanks for this Herbie. If we find a bug, should we tell you about it in this thread or somewhere else?

Errors can be reported in the current thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Hello dear plugin users,

It goes on. Again I realized some additional shapes in my "HN: Draw shape" plug-in.
Thank you to all of you who keep giving me useful suggestions.

In the future I would like to realize the following forms:
- Flower with pointed leaves, rosette
- Circular ring, elliptical ring
- Dragon square, arrow square
- Pentagram, hexagram, octagram
- Yin-Yang halves
- Cycloids

Again and again I am asked whether I can create "Shapes from UNICODE characters". I just don't know what to do with it. Can someone help me with hints and/or URLs?

Attachments:
HN-Form-zeichnen; Bespiele+Examples4.png
HN-Form-zeichnen; Bespiele+Examples4.png [ 476.19 KiB | Viewed 19353 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:34 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

In the download directory you will find an English installation description!

Check Download directory with Installation guide

Last edited by Herbie on Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: New shapes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:09 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

With today's new version 2021-03-08 I have improved the flower shape so that the petals can be designed in different ways. Two new rectangular shapes "Dragon Square" and "Arrow Square" were implemented. The circular shape of "Yin and Yang" implemented with the symbols "Pinyin", "Taijitu" and "Hotu". The shape "star polygon" introduced, with which pentagram, hexagram, heptagram, octagram and the like can be generated.

Attachments:
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples5.png
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples5.png [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 17902 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:29 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

MareroQ wrote:
4. Probably a small error in the tip:
[ Image ]
The generation of the lituus spiral is heavily dependent on the current selection. If, for example, 1000x1000 pixels are selected, results that can be displayed are achieved if the winding spacing is between 70/90 and 158.

Attachments:
Lituus-Spirale.png
Lituus-Spirale.png [ 14.04 KiB | Viewed 17898 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:25 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

In the last few days I have realized all the forms that I planned from the beginning. In this version the "Gear", the "Tiles" and a"Recycling" symbol were added.

In addition, I implemented a function, in my opinion powerful, for generating shapes from existing SVG user templates. The user provides the plug-in with a so-called "scalable vector graphic file (* .svg)", which the plug-in imports, scales and positions the shape in the selection. Attention: Depending on the complexity of the vector graphic file, this may take some time. So please be patient!

Many thanks to everyone who keeps giving me useful suggestions.

Attachments:
File comment: Shape examples.
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples6.png
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples6.png [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 7011 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:35 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

A principle of computer science has once again come true:
Quote:
There is at least one error to be found in every program and at least one command to be saved.
During testing, I noticed a small mistake when filling the "Taijitu" symbol of the "Yin and Yang" form.

With my new "Own template" function, for creating shapes from existing SVG user templates, I quickly realized that I had to improve them. I succeeded in doing this, and I wanted to send it to you right away.
If you need SVG templates for testing, you are sure to find some via the following link http://freesvg.org/.

Have fun using my plug-in.

Attachments:
Form; Eigene Vorlage.png
Form; Eigene Vorlage.png [ 290.48 KiB | Viewed 6989 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:52 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

A new version is available in which a bug in the filling process has been eliminated and the form "Cycloids: Epicycloids & Hypocycloids" has been added.

Have fun with my plugin!
Attachment:
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples7.png
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples7.png [ 727.17 KiB | Viewed 6950 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:12 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

A new version is available in which the new shape "Koch snowflake" added under shape group "Triangles" and tested.
If you have a wish for a new shape, please let me know!

Have fun with my plugin. A example for the new shape follows:
Attachment:
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples8.png
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples8.png [ 388.05 KiB | Viewed 6597 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:25 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

New version available in which the shape "Koch snowflake" has been optimized and some sub-shapes "Speech cloud" / "Thought cloud" have been added under "Circular" -> "Cloud".
See examples:
Attachment:
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples9.png
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples9.png [ 611.17 KiB | Viewed 6577 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:57 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

New version available in which the Position of the stroke in relation to the actual selection can be set for the square and rectangle.

Attachments:
File comment: Rectangle: Center, Outside and Inside the selection
Form-zeichnen-Rechtecke.png
Form-zeichnen-Rechtecke.png [ 208.98 KiB | Viewed 5796 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:03 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

This is great, thank you for sharing! :jumpclap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:21 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

New version available at 2021-07-08 in which I have a new shape "Arrow" added and extented at 2021-07-11.
There are four different types (Pointer arrow, Directional arrow, Labeling arrow square, Labeling arrow circle) to choose from.
Furthermore, three positions (Diagonal, Horizontal, Vertical) can be specified in the current selection
and the arrow shaft thickness, arrow head thickness and arrow head length can be set.
On 2021-07-15 the "arrow" shape, the layer positioning is expanded to include a change of direction.

Attachments:
File comment: Arrows, four styles, three locations and changed directions.
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples11.png
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples11.png [ 127.89 KiB | Viewed 5013 times ]

Last edited by Herbie on Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:12 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

For your information:
In the current version of "HN: Draw shape (HN: Form zeichnen)" you can find in the installation directory
Quote:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\HN-Form-zeichnen
of Windows the start file
Quote:
Plugin-Start.txt
with the following content:
# HN-Form-zeichnen start file - begin
# Plugin-Version: 2021-07-08
#
# windowOnTop
#   Fordert den Fenstermanager auf, das Benutzerinterface im Vordergrund zu halten.
#   Requests the window manager to keep the user interface in the foreground.
# journalAktiv
#   Journal-Aufzeichnung für UNDO von GIMP aktiv/inaktiv.
#   Journal recording for UNDO from GIMP active/inactive.
#
# debuggingOn
#   Debuggen für die Fehlersuche ein-/ausschalten (ein = True).
#   Debugging for troubleshooting on/off (on = True).
# debugIntoFile
#   Debuggen in eine Datei "Debug.txt" (True) oder in Meldungsfenster (ja = False).
#   Debugging into the file "Debug.txt" (True) or into a message window (yes = False).
# debugLangText
#   Bei Debuggen in Datei: Ausgabe auch der eingelesenen XML-Sprachtexte (ja = True).
#   At debugging into file: Debug of readed language texts from XML file (yes = True).
#
# maxScalesSpinner
#   Maximaler Wert für die vier, je nach Form, variabel belegten Werteregler (0 .. 500).
#   Maximum value for the four variable scaler/spinner, depending on the shape (0 .. 500)
# rangeShapeCorrection
#   Minimaler und maximaler Wert für die Korrektur der Formbreite/höhe (-100 .. +100).
#   Minimum and maximum value for the correction of the shape width/hight (-100 .. +100).

name="Plugin-Start"
descr="Start-Einstellungen des Plugins"
#
windowOnTop=False
journalAktiv=True
#
debuggingOn=False
debugIntoFile=True
debugLangText=False
#
maxScalesSpinner=400
rangeShapeCorrection=500

# HN-Form-zeichnen start file - end
Using this start file, the user can make important settings such as whether the journal recording for UNDO by GIMP is active/inactive and a lot more!

Please continue to enjoy using my plugin.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:48 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

New shape available at 2021-08-03: "Triquetra" (Celtic Trinity Knot) in six different designs.

Attachments:
File comment: Six different "Triquetra"
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples12.png
HN-Form-zeichnen; Beispiele+Examples12.png [ 951.72 KiB | Viewed 2964 times ]