It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there anyway to add blend modes inbetween operations in Bimp?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:45 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Let's say I have three operations in Bimp.

1. A GEGL Operation

2. a Hypothetical blend mode operation

3. a GMIC operation

The goal is to blend the GEGL operation and the GMIC operation using BIMP.

Is this possible?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Is there anyway to add blend modes inbetween operations in Bimp?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:44 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I've been using this for a long time.
Possible with a small caveat.
BIMP does not support xcf, so the result will be saved as "New from visible".
So it requires writing a simple plugin that will correctly manipulate layers (a small example in the appendix with built in gegl_command by Kevin Payne and Claude Lion) and use in BIMP: "Other Gimp procedure ..."
If you want to keep layers, there are other plugs for that (they process images opened in Gimp as layers).

Attachments:
sample_cat.png
sample_cat.png [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 5471 times ]
Example GEGL Test.zip [1.43 KiB]
Downloaded 85 times

Slava
Ukraini!
 Post subject: Re: Is there anyway to add blend modes inbetween operations in Bimp?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:06 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

A bit late to this party and more about BIMP limitations rather than Gimp / GEGL

BIMP does have some strange characteristics, for example, png's will always have an alpha channel even when flattened. BIMP has a list of reserved terms, which is why some entries are absent from the pdb. Selections are ignored, all sorts of things.

This driving me crazy, tried some things over the last couple of days without success.

I use the split python for GEGL, a little script for the commands and gegl_command.py to do the work.

The attached is a mix of GEGL / gmic / Gimp layer mode. Nothing special, a test.

Attachment:
bimp.jpg
bimp.jpg [ 141.56 KiB | Viewed 5382 times ]

Starting with a transparent layer (1) and I can get an effect (need to refresh the layers) (2) or export to a jpeg (3) result as expected...however...if I use BIMP, rendering to a png is ok, same as (2) Using jpeg all the hidden pixels in the alpha channel are exposed (4)

Just a comment that BIMP is a great tool but has 'quirks' ;)

Attachments:
for_gegl.py.zip [1.5 KiB]
Downloaded 76 times