It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Compiling Gimp APNG Plug-in using Linux (iibpng-apng-patch)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:49 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

Bob63 wrote:
Okay, I've got questions about using this plug-in...

I'm on LinuxMint 9 (Isadora) 32-bit. For those unfamiliar with LinuxMint, it is (was) based on Ubuntu - although they have recently came out with a straight Debian version. My setup has the Gnome desktop, and the current Gimp package is 2.6.8. I successfully patched, compiled and installed the libpng library, and successfully compiled and installed the gimp-apng plug-in.

My question is about converting existing gifs to apng. For gifs I created in Gimp or [Ulead Gif Animator, shh!] I found that I have to convert the gif image from indexed mode to rgb mode. If I don't do this, I get a nearly solid colored apng. Is this normal?

Also, using a random gif downloaded from the Internet, when I try to save it as a apng, I get this error:

libpng error: invalid blend_op in fcTL

I don't understand what this means, exactly, but I'm guessing it would mean that the blending mode used by the creator of the original gif is not compatible with libpng. So it is necessary to do some tweaking somehow. Has anyone tried this? If it was successful I'd like to know how you did it.

Bob

Can you upload the GIF so i can download it and check it out?
That error is something i for one have never seen before. Perhaps you need to update that library file.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:03 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Here's the gif...
Attachment:
File comment: 4-layer gif simple animation
st_patricks_day_animated_gif_1.gif
st_patricks_day_animated_gif_1.gif [ 48.67 KiB | Viewed 5833 times ]

Tried to save as PNG+APNG, options selected:save background color, save resolution, save creation time, save comment, save color values from transparent pixels, compression=9, as animation, plays=0.
Heres's the output...
Attachment:
File comment: PNG+APNG output
st_patricks_day_animated_gif_1.png
st_patricks_day_animated_gif_1.png [ 1.07 KiB | Viewed 5833 times ]

Hmm, didn't make it. Opening the output file in gimp gives me a solid black single layer, and you can see the output file is substantially smaller. Running gimp in the terminal for this operation gave me the following errors:
During save, libpng error: invalid blend_op in fcTL
During re-opening output, libpng error: Read Error

Another Hmm. I deleted three layers and saved just the background layer as PNG+APNG, I got a single black layer again, but NO errors in the terminal.
I'm stumped. I think it must be my libpng. It's odd: the patch, compile, make and make install went like clockwork - except my clock isn't running, obviously. :(
Edit: I tried saving the 4-layer gif again as PNG+APNG, this time I turned off all the color options (save bg, save color values), and got a corrupted output. neither Gnome Image Viewer or gimp can re-open the output. I guess I'll start over with a fresh libpng...

Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:07 am  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Open your "gif" in the GIMP, change the image-> mode-> RGB, add alpha channel to the background layer, save as an animated PNGImage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:43 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

pogogogo wrote:
Open your "gif" in the GIMP, change the image-> mode-> RGB, add alpha channel to the background layer, save as an animated PNG

First I tried your suggestion, opening the original gif, change to RGB, adding an alpha, but no go.
I even downloaded your APNG version. Gimp can open it and show the layers, but I can't re-save as APNG; libpng is still throwing the error: libpng error: invalid blend_op in fcTL.

I'm going to start over. I'm even more convinced that there's something off in my libpng.

Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:06 pm  (#25) 

If you are using Ubuntu, instead of compiling the lib and the plugin for ubuntu 11.04 you can just add a ppa (repository) and then make sure unsupported updates are enabled.
here is the link to the web page.
https://launchpad.net/~hanmac/+archive/ppa
the ppa is:
ppa:hanmac/ppa

after adding this, you will need to install "gimp-apng" and "1.5.0-1.6.1~apng" from your new repository.
Start Gimp and you should be able to make and save apng files. :hehe

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:25 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

benrboone wrote:
If you are using Ubuntu, instead of compiling the lib and the plugin for ubuntu 11.04 you can just add a ppa (repository) and then make sure unsupported updates are enabled.
here is the link to the web page.
https://launchpad.net/~hanmac/+archive/ppa
the ppa is:
ppa:hanmac/ppa

after adding this, you will need to install "gimp-apng" and "1.5.0-1.6.1~apng" from your new repository.
Start Gimp and you should be able to make and save apng files. :hehe

when I tried to update the ppa I got
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/hanmac/ppa/ubu ... ackages.gz 404 Not Found

however the repository and the key are in my list.

anyway, thanks for this because it's against my religion to compile :hehe

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:47 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Founder

benrboone wrote:
you can just add a ppa (repository)

Greetings,

Are you the package maintainer?

Just asking because one must exercise a healthy dose of caution when using "Internet Joe's" personal repository, no matter which distro one uses. I have no reason to believe there is an issue with that specific archive. It's just that when you stray from officially supported repos, you run a much higher security risk than you would otherwise.

I have installed applications compiled and packaged by individuals I trust, but if the app is not contained in officially supported repos, I prefer to compile directly from the latest stable source code release. I enter a couple of commands and I'm done, without having to wait for a "possible untrusted" individual to do it for me. Also, personal repos have a habit of being here today and gone/broke tomorrow. ;)

"The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger".
"Oops. Wrong one".
"Do it yourself. Yeah, That's it". - Linus Torvalds

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:38 am  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
Thanks GnuTux for providing these instructions. :)

I'm on Ubuntu 10.04, so the process was very similar. One critical area that might confuse new Ubuntu users is Synaptic. Instead of System - Administration - Add/Remove, it will be System - Administration - Synaptic Manager. Type in libpng in the search box to determine your version (if loaded).

I would also strongly discourage updating the version of libpng that is currently on your system, unless you know what you are doing. For a smooth patch/compile/install, I'd recommend sticking with the installed version.

Aside from our libpng versions (mine was v. 1.4.2) being different, I followed the exact instructions for a successful patch/compile/install.

Thanks again!

well, I'm still deciding if I can get this plugin......as you have the same ubuntu I use I figured I'd make sure I have all the right steps listed.

my libpng version :
1.2.42-1ubuntu2.1 (332 kb)

I got
libpng-1.4.7-apng.patch.gz
from http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng-apng/

and have
gimp-apng-0.1.0.tar.bz2

I'm frankly confused and I don't want to break anything. Looking at the readme file lists a whole mess of stuff to type. I don't like just DOING things without at least having some understanding of what is going on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:31 pm  (#29) 

Hi folks, On compiling the error appeared :gaah
hamed@linux-mn00:~/gimp-apng-0.1.0> make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/hamed/gimp-apng-0.1.0'
Making all in po
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/hamed/gimp-apng-0.1.0/po'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hamed/gimp-apng-0.1.0/po'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/hamed/gimp-apng-0.1.0/src'
gcc  -g -O2 -Wall   -o file-apng file_apng-file-apng.o -L/usr/local/lib64 -lpng14   -pthread -lgimpui-2.0 -lgimpwidgets-2.0 -lgimpmodule-2.0 -lgimp-2.0 -lgimpmath-2.0 -lgimpconfig-2.0 -lgimpcolor-2.0 -lgimpbase-2.0 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0   
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.6/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: file_apng-file-apng.o: undefined reference to symbol 'floor@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.6/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: note: 'floor@@GLIBC_2.2.5' is defined in DSO /lib64/libm.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line
/lib64/libm.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [file-apng] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hamed/gimp-apng-0.1.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hamed/gimp-apng-0.1.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any solution?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:14 am  (#30) 

Hi Kazy,

I know you asked the question a few month ago, but yesterday I've got the the same error message while compiling on my Fedora 16 64-bit system.

I worked around this by setting the environment variable LDFLAGS like this:

export LDFLAGS='-lm'

After that it compiles without any error message. Gimp recognise the plugin but
while saving an apng file the plugin crashes. I've got some error messages about
conflicts with systems libpng which is fairly newer. Hopefully I am able to work
around this, too. If not I have to search for another solution to create apng files.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:41 am  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

pl4fks wrote:
Hi Kazy,

I know you asked the question a few month ago, but yesterday I've got the the same error message while compiling on my Fedora 16 64-bit system.

I worked around this by setting the environment variable LDFLAGS like this:

export LDFLAGS='-lm'

After that it compiles without any error message. Gimp recognise the plugin but
while saving an apng file the plugin crashes. I've got some error messages about
conflicts with systems libpng which is fairly newer. Hopefully I am able to work
around this, too. If not I have to search for another solution to create apng files.

I believe there is a patch for libpng available. I am not to sure where to get it though. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:13 am  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

If you could wait, I'm working on the new version of APNG plugin...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:32 pm  (#33) 

Debian 9 x64bits

Hello,

I've found error source code of file-apng.c for gimp-apng-0.1.0 :

Good lock !