It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plugin or Script to bend/curve text
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:31 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Is it possible for someone to create a script or a plugin for GIMP that bends/curves text? The paths tool is too complicated to use.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Plugin or Script to bend/curve text
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:33 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

There is a plugin already for that is called "Text Along Path"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:45 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Pocholo wrote:
There is a plugin already for that is called "Text Along Path"

[ Image ]

I know about that plugin, but you'd still have to use the paths tool. There should be away to bend text without using the paths tool. Also, the version of Text Along Path, that I have, looks nothing like your screenshot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:40 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

you do not need any plugin!
make a path 2 nodes, 1 at the start 1 at the end, bend that path
Write your text > right click on the layer text in the layer stack >> click on >> Text to path
done

or if you don't like path (I cannot understand why, though) here you can bend https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-d ... -transform (still no need of any plugins) read answer #2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:48 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

PixLab wrote:
Write your text > right click on the layer text in the layer stack >> click on >> Text to path
done

or if you don't like path (I cannot understand why, though) here you can bend https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-d ... -transform (still no need of any plugins) read answer #2

Patrice,
I know how to use text along path I just don't like to because it's complicated to use and as I said before, Pocholo's screenshot looks nothing like what I have when I run text along path.

You do need a plugin to bend text without the paths tool and you proved it by using a plugin that didn't involve the paths tool. You used curve bend, which is what I was looking for. Thanks. :)

Mackenzie

Last edited by mackenzieh on Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:03 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:
PixLab wrote:
done

Patrice,
I know how to use gtext along path I just don't like to because it's complicated to use and as I said before, Pocholo's screenshot looks nothing like what I have when I run text alon path.

You do need a plugin to bend text without the paths tool and you proved it by using a plugin that didn't involve the paths tool. You used curve bend, which is what I was looking for. Thanks. :)

Mackenzie

OK, word play, let say that I did meant "native" GIMP's filter/tool :bigthup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:08 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

PixLab wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:
PixLab wrote:
done

Patrice,
I know how to use text along path I just don't like to because it's complicated to use and as I said before, Pocholo's screenshot looks nothing like what I have when I run text along path.

Mackenzie

OK, word play, let say that I did meant "native" GIMP's filter/tool :bigthup

:bigthup I knew there had to be an alternative to using the paths tool. Thanks again. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:22 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:

:bigthup I knew there had to be an alternative to using the paths tool. Thanks again. :)

If it can help, for text in circle or half circle, I use Filters/Distorts/Polar coordinates... ;) (this even works to text as a square)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:08 am  (#9) 
Script Coder

If you don't use paths, Gimp is going to interpolate pixels and this will blur things. On text this is very visible because your eyes are used to sharp text. So it's always better to get a path from your text, transform it, and then render the path.

In Gimp you can use the standard "Text-along-path" function in the text tool, but I wrote two plugins:

- ofn-text-along-path which is my own version of the standard text-along-path (more options, and doesn't distort characters)
- ofn-bend-path that makes your text fit between two curves (it can also be used with non-text paths)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:25 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
In Gimp you can use the standard "Text-along-path" function in the text tool, but I wrote two plugins:

- ofn-text-along-path which is my own version of the standard text-along-path (more options, and doesn't distort characters)
- ofn-bend-path that makes your text fit between two curves (it can also be used with non-text paths)

You have to remember what mackenzieh wrote

Quote:
...The paths tool is too complicated to use

So she has problems with even the basic Gimp path tool. More advanced plugins are going to be an even greater hurdle.

No real way out of this other that learn the path tool basics, I find it easy , you find it easy, but some people do have difficulties.

There are work-arounds, for example (in linux, not sure about Windows) I can draw a path in Inkscape, then copy and paste into Gimp paths dialogue. Want some fancy text ? LibreOffice Draw has preset text effects, these can copy paste as bitmaps into Gimp. All sorts of alternatives.

However the best way is still get some understanding of how the path tool works. No shortcuts ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:24 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

This video explain and give you a better perspective of the Path tool. Practice, practice, practice, make perfect. :)
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:38 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I reached out to GIMP's official handle on twitter and the real solution is fixing the path tool and the text-on-path feature. It needs a dedicated contributor. So until there is a fix, I'll use the curve bend tool as an alternative.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:43 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
ofnuts wrote:

You have to remember what mackenzieh wrote

Quote:
...The paths tool is too complicated to use

So she has problems with even the basic Gimp path tool. More advanced plugins are going to be an even greater hurdle.

No real way out of this other that learn the path tool basics, I find it easy , you find it easy, but some people do have difficulties.

There are work-arounds, for example (in linux, not sure about Windows) I can draw a path in Inkscape, then copy and paste into Gimp paths dialogue. Want some fancy text ? LibreOffice Draw has preset text effects, these can copy paste as bitmaps into Gimp. All sorts of alternatives.

However the best way is still get some understanding of how the path tool works. No shortcuts ;)

The path tool isn't as basic as you think. If it were basic, there wouldn't be a need to move nodes and such to complete an easy task. It also wouldn't be complicated to use.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:48 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Pocholo wrote:
This video explain and give you a better perspective of the Path tool. Practice, practice, practice, make perfect. :)
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Your screenshot in post #2 looks nothing like what I have as for text-along path. You have what I would call a plugin that can easily be called up and you have options to fix and play with text.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:44 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:
You have what I would call a plugin that can easily be called up and you have options to fix and play with text.

It is this plugin:
ofn-text-along-path.zip

which can be found here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-p ... s/scripts/

Still need to create a path to put the text on.
It is really worth learning how to use paths. A whole new world will open up for you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:16 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Blighty II wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:
You have what I would call a plugin that can easily be called up and you have options to fix and play with text.

It is this plugin:
ofn-text-along-path.zip

which can be found here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-p ... s/scripts/

Still need to create a path to put the text on.
It is really worth learning how to use paths. A whole new world will open up for you.

I have it, but to me it's still too complicated to use. So, until there is a fix for the text tool and text-on-path feature, I'll just use bend curve.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:39 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:
I have it, but to me it's still too complicated to use. So, until there is a fix for the text tool and text-on-path feature, I'll just use bend curve.

OK you found it complicated, have no worries, that's OK ;)
Another tip... `Filters >> Distorts >> Whirl and pinch...` (before to use "Whirl and Pinch" you have to put the text layer at the image size with `Layer >> Layer to image size` )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:55 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

PixLab wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:

OK you found it complicated, have no worries, that's OK ;)
Another tip... `Filters >> Distorts >> Whirl and pinch...` (before to use "Whirl and Pinch" you have to put the text layer at the image size with `Layer >> Layer to image size` )

[ Image ]

Thanks for the tip, Patrice :)