It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I could use some help getting started with a plugin on Windows
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:57 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I would like to build a Gimp plugin that calls Scilab.

I figured out how to build an x64 program that calls Scilab from C, can store and retrieve variables, execute Scilab scripts etcetera. I was unable to get this working with Cygwin gcc probably because Scilab does not support it on Windows however it does support MingW (I haven't tried it yet).

Reading up on Gimp plugins, I found a page that describes how to build a plugin with Visual Studio however it has some rather unwieldy commands that make me think this is not the preferred approach (http://web.archive.org/web/201509060905 ... node/24883).

I have looked at Gimptool, is that what I need to execute with the appropriate CC and CFLAGS? If yes what compiler should I use, MingW? In that case I suppose I would build my Scilab plugin with MingW too. Or can I mix and match?

I could try some of this but I thought asking the question might speed things up, links and references help too. Thanks in advance!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: I could use some help getting started with a plugin on Windows
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:56 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hi HenkSB.
I can not help much, but I would follow Georg Hennig's
Gimp Astronomy Plugins (C + mingw) http://www.hennigbuam.de/georg/gimp.html

Slava
Ukraini!

Post subject: Re: I could use some help getting started with a plugin on Windows
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:12 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

MareroQ wrote:
Hi HenkSB.
I can not help much, but I would follow Georg Hennig's
Gimp Astronomy Plugins (C + mingw) http://www.hennigbuam.de/georg/gimp.html

Nice plugin, thanks.

I got my Scilab calls working with MinGW as well now for 32-bit Scilab. I had some trouble with DLLs after adding the Scilab DLL path at the end of PATH but after prepending it, it worked.

If I want to call 64-bit Scilab I need to install MinGW-w64. Since I have a 64 bit installation of Gimp I should get MinGW-w64 anyway. That's my best bet to get a plugin working.