It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I get rid of drop down menu
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:21 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I recently added some plug ins. I have 3 versions of GIMP on 2 PC's. This is GIMP 2.8. When ever I right click, I get the same menu found at the top of GIMP, in drop down format. Today I find it conflicts with the function of closing the selection using the free select tool. When attempting to close the selection using right click, you get the drop down menu instead. Any one know how to remove this. I also use london smoke blue theme, and may have hit something in preferences. Thank you.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How do I get rid of drop down menu
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:51 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

gimpmannew wrote:
....snip... When attempting to close the selection using right click, you get the drop down menu instead. Any one know how to remove this...snip..

AFAIK not possible without recompiling the Gimp code. Maybe you are thinking of some other application. Right-click to complete has never been the way to finish off a free selection. The info panel bottom of the Gimp 2.8 window gives the options Return commits, Escape cancels, Backspace removes last segment

The right click on the window brings up the menu structure which leads to the option to use 'tear-off' menus.

30 second example: https://i.imgur.com/woJrR73.mp4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:57 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

gimpmannew wrote:
I recently added some plug ins. I have 3 versions of GIMP on 2 PC's. This is GIMP 2.8. When ever I right click, I get the same menu found at the top of GIMP, in drop down format. Today I find it conflicts with the function of closing the selection using the free select tool. When attempting to close the selection using right click, you get the drop down menu instead. Any one know how to remove this. I also use london smoke blue theme, and may have hit something in preferences. Thank you.

This a normal behaviour (same behaviour as 2.10) https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/menus.html#context-menus
Citing the above link: "[right] Clicking on an image window displays the Image menu. This is useful when you are working in full-screen mode, without a menubar. "

To close a selection you left click or double click, not right click...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:30 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you friends, I got it figured out. Always great help here. This is a good forum.