It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can ScriptFu or anything in Gimp automate the creation of layer groups
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:33 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I am working on a project to make popular and niche color based adjustment layers using layer groups and color fill layers. From what it looks like script fu cannot create layer groups. This is tragic because the "adjustment layers" I am making would be modified by script fu. Does anyone know a way to automate the creation of layer groups in Gimp 2.10x?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Can ScriptFu or anything in Gimp automate the creation of layer gr
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:00 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Here are the adjustment layers made using blend modes only.

Post subject: Re: Can ScriptFu or anything in Gimp automate the creation of layer gr
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:02 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

You are misinformed/mistaken:

(same API in Python if you want a decent language).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:04 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Okay then maybe this project is possible. I need someone to help me!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:08 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
You are misinformed/mistaken:

[ Image ]

(same API in Python if you want a decent language).

I'm glad it is possible. Now there are three things we need to do to have adjustment layers.

1. Python or Script Fu needs to call a custom "open as layers" so we can open the custom xcf layer groups on top of the original image.

2. We need a way to make the complex layer groups represented as simple GUI's in script fu. Modifying GUI in script fu will modify the layer group color fill, opacity and blend modes.

3. Script Fu needs to search and replace the color fill adjustment layers, their opacity, and blend modes when adjustment layers are modified in the GUI.

I hope we can accomplish this!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:17 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

No... scripts are... scripts. So you give them a bunch of parameters (Gimp build a nice dialog for that) and let them run until the end.

In Python, you can have scripts with auto-built input dialogs as for Script-fu, or you can have more evolved plugins, but these come with their own UI (usually written with PyGTK).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:29 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

So is this possible with the existing tools or not?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:38 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

A Varient of open as layers can be made with script fu. This will open the xcf files with layer groups.

Script Fu can search for existing layers and modify them

Script Fu can modify the colors, blend modes, and opacity within existing layer groups

That is all I need for this to work.