It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: THIRD PARTY GEGL FILTER GUIDE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:16 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/GUIDE-to ... GL-Filters
A full guide with the templates on how to make a third party GEGL filter is here.

The PDF guide (may be updated)!
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... _guide.pdf

Download to GEGL's source code and navigate to the folder Common. Study my template filter and difference-of-gaussians.c (which it is based on)
https://github.com/GNOME/gegl

VIdeo clip of my silly template filter in action

https://streamable.com/c3rwpo

The Template C file. (IT NEEDS TO BE IN ITS FOLDER TO COMPILE)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... omfilter.c

Lasty, learn GEGL syntax in the GEGL threads here or at GEGL.org. Do not hesitate to ask me if you need help. Practice in GEGL Graph before you make a real filter.

Last edited by contrast_ on Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: THIRD PARTY GEGL FILTER GUIDE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:21 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you contrast_ :tyspin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:28 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Yes, the PDF just updated with information about downloading GEGL's source code.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:32 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I'll say it again; Thank you so much for all that information and you hard work. For letting your knowledge flow to us. What a great tutorial. :jumpclap :clap :tyspin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:06 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Yes this has involved a colossal amont of work on your part contrast_. Hopefully I can find some time in the future to get my head around all of this.
:tyspin

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Paragrapher v.1.4
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:24 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Awesome. Now the fun begins!
Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:15 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

:lol :lol "You do not need to be a C programmer". :lol :lol

You need to know the C syntax, you need to know how to compile the thing, you need to know how to understand errors and fix them.

I appreciate the effort, but so far it looks like "I cobbled some C code and eventually made it to work", and doesn't explain why or how things work. The only thing I learned from your example is that there is potentially a way to have one input and redirect it to several node inputs (on same node or on other nodes).

But looking at implementing this effect as a GEGL op, I'm still left with many questions: how do I apply vivid-light? How do I "scale" an input signal before I give it to a node input, and more generally how do I algebraically combine several inputs to make one input? how do I compile the code separately from the whole of GEGL (and other folks would also wonder where they put the compiled result without polluting the "official" GEGL code(*))?

(*) On Linux it's in ~/.local/share/gegl-0.4/plug-ins/ it seems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:08 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
:lol :lol "You do not need to be a C programmer". :lol :lol

You need to know the C syntax, you need to know how to compile the thing, you need to know how to understand errors and fix them.

I appreciate the effort, but so far it looks like "I cobbled some C code and eventually made it to work", and doesn't explain why or how things work. The only thing I learned from your example is that there is potentially a way to have one input and redirect it to several node inputs (on same node or on other nodes).

But looking at implementing this effect as a GEGL op, I'm still left with many questions: how do I apply vivid-light? How do I "scale" an input signal before I give it to a node input, and more generally how do I algebraically combine several inputs to make one input? how do I compile the code separately from the whole of GEGL (and other folks would also wonder where they put the compiled result without polluting the "official" GEGL code(*))?

(*) On Linux it's in ~/.local/share/gegl-0.4/plug-ins/ it seems

GEGL doesn't support layer modes?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:12 am  (#9) 

interesting information

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:21 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I just don't know how to make a proper guide. It all had to do with my luck of learning GEGL Syntax so I could use the graph to automate things back in mid 2021 to mid 2022. After that I started studying GEGL's source code and got lucky when it came to rearranging the nodes to make third party filters. I could record myself making a third party filter just to show everyone what I do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:37 am  (#11) 
Script Coder

contrast_ wrote:
I just don't know how to make a proper guide. It all had to do with my luck of learning GEGL Syntax so I could use the graph to automate things back in mid 2021 to mid 2022. After that I started studying GEGL's source code and got lucky when it came to rearranging the nodes to make third party filters. I could record myself making a third party filter just to show everyone what I do.

A manager of IT I worked for once said "I don't like luck because I'm not sure I can reproduce it".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:48 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

A better way to look at things is that if no one attempts to make a third party GEGL filter then no one really wants it bad enough. I have no background in computer science or C. I just got "lucky" by knowing GEGL Syntax in advance and figuring out how the C file is structured. Practice doing things in GEGL Graph first before you do anything.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:07 pm  (#13) 
Global Moderator

I'd rather be lucky than destined to fail. And even if I fail, courageous enough to keep on trying, whether luck plays a part or not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:38 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Consider this thread to be continued here.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20244

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:06 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

If anyone wants to develop a GEGL Plugin don't hesitate to contact and ask me anything and I will guide you through it personally with baby steps if I have too. In Late June 2023 it will be the two year anniversary of the first GEGL Graphs I made.