It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GEGL Gold Text Plugin
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:05 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Remember that Gold Text GEGL syntax I posted a few days ago? I turned said syntax into a easy to use Gimp plugin for convenience.
If you have an older version of GEGL Effects (before May 2023; you need to update or it will break GEGL Effects; Please read WARNING description.

Download precompiled binaries and code for Windows and Linux here.
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/Gimp_Gold_Text_Plugin/releases

Location to put Binaries

Windows
C:\Users\(USERNAME)\AppData\Local\gegl-0.4\plug-ins

Linux
/home/(USERNAME)/.local/share/gegl-0.4/plug-ins

Linux (Flatpak includes Chromebook)
/home/(USERNAME)/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/data/gegl-0.4/plug-ins

This is a new GEGL plugin of mine that transforms plain text/shapes into Gold Text. This plugin requires five other stand alone plugins of mine that are shipped with it. (bevel, inner glow, edge extract, threshold alpha two, and advance emboss. )

WARNING
If you have an old version of my GEGL Effects Layer Effects plugin before May 2023 this will break GEGL Effects, once this plugin is installed. Check to make sure the version of GEGL Effects you are using was released May 2023 or onward. If not update here to the latest version.
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/GEGL-Effects---Layer-Effects-in-Gimp-using-GEGL/releases

To confirm test if GEGL Effects is working after the update, install Gold Text binaries and then see if “inner glow and or bevel” in GEGL Effects still work. If they are not, the update in the link above will fix it. The Bevel and Inner Glow should have an lb: name space instead of gegl:

Attachment:
pasted_image172.png
pasted_image172.png [ 498.22 KiB | Viewed 54157 times ]

Attachment:
pasted_image179.png
pasted_image179.png [ 683.93 KiB | Viewed 54157 times ]

Attachment:
pasted_image170.png
pasted_image170.png [ 1019.41 KiB | Viewed 54157 times ]

--Fun Facts and Comments about Gold Text Plugin---

Gold Text was made from a fork of an old version of my Custom Bevel Plugin but it does not require my Custom Bevel plugin to work. The story behind the development of my gold text plugin is quite interesting. It is a generic bevel with a very long gegl syntax string on top of it to texture it in a gold/metallic style. This is the first plugin of mine to work that way.

Gold text has two blend modes (Plus and Color Dodge) because blend modes like Multiply and Darken made it look hideous and Overlay and Softlight did exactly the same thing as Color Dodge. So I could have other blend modes in place of Color Dodge. After studies I confirmed that “Plus” was the best blend mode. It is the default.

The secret to getting the gold metallic shine was taking advantage of a bug that my custom bevel plugin use to have when chained with drop shadow. Drop Shadow’s opacity meter (gegl:opacity) and Bevels with blend modes like “Plus” “Linear Light” “Grain Merge” make a undesirable glowing/hot pixel glitch. If values on gegl:opacity are high enough said glitch will give way to transparent holes in the bevel. I ran drop shadow under the bevel and removed it after using a plugin called “threshold alpha two” thus giving it a shine effect without the shadow.

A few days ago on Gimp Chat I released a hidden operation lb:oldcustombevel, that is now completely irrelevant to gold text. That was for graph only via GEGL syntax pasting.

Enjoy the plugin and consider leaving screenshots and feed back.

--

Last edited by contrast_ on Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GEGL Gold Text Plugin
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:45 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:19 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Doesn't have to be text.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:46 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Doesn't have to be text.

[ Image ]

Attachment:
metallic.png
metallic.png [ 522.47 KiB | Viewed 54060 times ]

Not to be a wise guy but it does require text/shapes to work best. It is not intended for people. I have another plugin called "metallic" that is meant to make subjects/objects metal and that doesn't work on text.
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/gegl-met ... /releases/

GEGL Metallic is a plugin I made last year. It doesn't make it gold so after applying metallic, recolor it with Colorize. Though I could update Metallic to include a recolor checkbox that defaults to Gold.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:16 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

contrast_ wrote:
Not to be a wise guy but it does require text/shapes to work best. It is not intended for people.

As an artist I like to experiment with breaking the rules and I like the effect on people. I am going to experiment more with it together with layer modes. I will stay out of this thread if it is a problem to you though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:36 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
contrast_ wrote:
Not to be a wise guy but it does require text/shapes to work best. It is not intended for people.

As an artist I like to experiment with breaking the rules and I like the effect on people. I am going to experiment more with it together with layer modes. I will stay out of this thread if it is a problem to you though.

It isn't a problem. Feel free to do whatever you want with the plugin.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:04 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I am going to see if I can make a non (gimp:) namespace variation of this plugin so it can be called in Pixelitor's GEGL and python's GEGL that way people can use it outside of Gimp or in Gimp with python. Currently it cannot work outside of Gimp.

to learn more about calling GEGL in Pixelitor go here.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3247&p=286097#p286084

to learn more about GEGL in python go here
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20613&start=90

Example of a previous Gimp only operation being called in Pixelitor's GEGL