It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GEGL Sharpen Plugin with many high pass algorithms
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:24 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Download for Windows and Linux with code here. (FOLLOW SIMPLE DIRECTIONS)

https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/Gimp_Sha ... n/releases

I have debuted a new sharpen plugin for Gimp that is reminiscent of the first plugin I ever made. But unlike my first plugin ever, this has a lot more features. It renders high pass layers of the following filters by automatically fusing them with Gimps Grain Extract blend mode.

Median Blur

DCT Denoise

Box Blur

Mean Curvature Blur

Domain Transform Smooth

Noise Reduction

Lens Blur

Gaussian Blur

As you can see, It is very similar to Gimp's default "high pass" filter but it uses operations other then just gegl:gaussian-blur.
Attachment:
preview_2.png
preview_2.png [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 792 times ]

Attachment:
preview_3.png
preview_3.png [ 938.39 KiB | Viewed 792 times ]

Their Grain Extract is the high pass layer, and that is meant to be fused with the built in GEGL blending options or made as a layer above in Gimp and manually blended with Gimp's layers. The default sharpen is Grain Merge but other blend modes like Linear Light, Soft Light and Hard Light may do interesting things.So will the built in "Opacity" meter that all GEGL filters and Gimp layers have. This plugin is intended to be using with built in GEGL layers and opacity slider. Don't under estimate the importance of the opacity meter.

If you use Gimp 2.99.16+ Filter can be found in Filters>Enhance
2.10 it is in GEGL Operations named "sharpen deluxe"
2.99 users can also search for the plugin.

LOCATION TO PUT BINARIES
They do not go in the normal plugins folder

Windows

C:\Users\(USERNAME)\AppData\Local\gegl-0.4\plug-ins

Linux

/home/(USERNAME)/.local/share/gegl-0.4/plug-ins

Linux (Flatpak includes Chromebook)
/home/(USERNAME)/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/data/gegl-0.4/plug-ins

-- Fun Facts and Comments about the filter and its development --

1. To re illiterate this is similar to the first GEGL plugin I ever made via replacing gegl:gaussian-blur with gegl:mean-curvature-blur in the source code of GEGL's high pass plugin. Said plugin was removed from Github for being to simple

2. Fusing any of the above listed filters with Grain Extract will create a high pass. And if said "high pass" is fused with Grain Merge over the original image, it will sharpen it. This plugin has a unique advantage of auto generating the high pass so users can blend it with whatever they want as without manually copying the high pass layer.

3. This plugin is exactly like the default High Pass except High Pass only uses Gaussian Blur and not any other filter.

4. I was thinking about making a plugin like this for several months to a half a year before finally getting around too it.

5. If it was not for Gimp Dev Liam, I would not have known how to list separate filter settings in a list.

6. My personal opinion based on early analysis is that Median Blur and Gaussian Blur are the only two sharpens that look really good and Gaussian blur is a default for a built in Gimp plugin.

7. When developing this plugin I had to list Gimp's Grain Extract Blend mode as gimp:layer-mode layer-mode=grain-extract blend-space=rgb-perceptual The blend space RGB perceptual was an annomally that I discovered I needed enabled, and I almost cancelled this filter due to not knowing that.

It is represented in GEGL's c file as
grainextract = gegl_node_new_child (gegl,
                              "operation", "gimp:layer-mode", "layer-mode", 46, "composite-mode", 0, "blend-space", 2, NULL);

LayerMode 46 is GrainExtract and Blend space 2 is RGB Perceptual

8. In default on first Gimp Run GEGL blending options need to be checkboxed to be shown. If enabled once you will not need to do this again unless you delete Gimp's config files.

Attachment:
preview_1.png
preview_1.png [ 426.11 KiB | Viewed 792 times ]

Have fun and if you don't mind show previews of the plugin in action or what you did with it. (totally optional)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati