It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GEGL Star Background - Gimp Plugin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:35 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Download for Windows and Linux here. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/Gimp_Plu ... d/releases

Preview of plugin here
Attachment:
preview1.png
preview1.png [ 864.81 KiB | Viewed 620 times ]

Attachment:
preview2.png
preview2.png [ 442.79 KiB | Viewed 620 times ]

Video preview here
https://www.reddit.com/r/GIMP/comments/ ... es_a_star/

LOCATION TO PUT BINARIES (.so or .dll) they do not go in the normal plugins folder.

Windows

C:\Users\(USERNAME)\AppData\Local\gegl-0.4\plug-ins

Linux
/home/(USERNAME)/.local/share/gegl-0.4/plug-ins

Linux (Flatpak includes Chromebook)

/home/(USERNAME)/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/data/gegl-0.4/plug-ins

[b]

Then Restart Gimp and go to GEGL Operations to find the plugins. Its name is "Star Background"
If you use Gimp 2.99.16+ you will find them in the menu under filters>render>fun
This is only in the menu of 2.99.16+, 2.10 users go to GEGL Operations and look for "Star Background". I choose to put all my rendering plugins under fun, though it might be changed to something else soon if more people complain.

--comments and fun facts about the plugin--

This plugin and the Pie plugin I released yesterday is based on GEGL:mirrors, AKA Gimp's Kaleidoscope filter. Though it is calling different aspects of Kaleidoscope and has other GEGL filters chained with it.

This plugin was very simple to make; unlike some of the more recent plugins of mine that are extremely complex with tons of GEGL nodes. If you are a GEGL dev or wannabe GEGL dev consider studying its source code as once again, it is a semi simple GEGL plugin.

I consider this plugin to be a sister filter to GEGL Starburst (download here)
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/gegl-starburst/releases/ and Gimp's default "Spiral Filter.
They all give off the same vibes if ya know what I mean. These filters are not dependencies. I'm just saying they go good together.

If you like, consider showing screenshots of the plugin in action or work you've done with it, but that is totally optional. That's all for now.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GEGL Star Background - Gimp Plugin
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:34 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Advance Technique with this plugin. It requires using Gimp blend modes and sliding the background opacity slider to 0. Notice how the "color background" is entirely transparent?

Attachment:
star_background_fun.png
star_background_fun.png [ 665.7 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]