It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Python 3 With GIMP 2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:17 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

As you may know, GIMP 3 is not being released any time soon. GIMP 2.x only supports version 2.x of Python, which is long obsolete. Distros like Debian have dropped the Python support from their GIMP packages for this reason.

However, it turns out there is nothing in the core of GIMP 2 that depends in any way on Python. So I decided to come up with my own Python wrappers around the libgimp libraries. I did this in pure Python, using the standard ctypes module. I looked at how the Python support was done in the GIMP source tree, and there is an extension module, wrapping the GIMP API, that consists of 20,000 lines of C code. No way I was going to reimplement all of that (and I don’t envy anybody who has that job). But doing parts of it in Python itself is a lot easier.

The project is only partially done so far, but I have been able to reimplement some of my own old, simple GIMP plugins, and get them working again.

Let me know if this interests you.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati