It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CMYK Student's non-destructive dev build after 2.99.18 in use by me
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:22 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

This thread shows me editing non-destructively in CMYK Student's special Gimp Build.

I built CMYK Student's Gimp 2.99.17 from source today and now I am testing non-destructive GEGL filters. Let me just say that it is AMAZING and I ADORE every second of this, but I still found some bugs. I will be posting in this thread to show off the non-destructive editing potential in CMYK Student's special build of Gimp 2.99.17. It works with my plugins obviously.

--
My Plugin Glossy Balloon and Drop Shadow in Gimp 2.99.17 non destructive.
Attachment:
gimp29917_NDE.png
gimp29917_NDE.png [ 905.21 KiB | Viewed 8422 times ]

https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/GEGL-glo ... g/releases

A GEGL Graph running non-destructive
Attachment:
graph_working.png
graph_working.png [ 761.88 KiB | Viewed 8422 times ]

My Sparkle plugin running non-destructive with the linear light blend mode.
Attachment:
nde_sparkle_plugin.png
nde_sparkle_plugin.png [ 1.9 MiB | Viewed 8422 times ]

https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/GEGL_Spa ... /releases/

Last edited by contrast_ on Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:07 am, edited 6 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: I'm using non-destructive GEGL filters because I built Gimp 2.99.1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:44 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

The rectangle select tool and other tools like it can make selections and then we can apply GEGL filters non-destructively, but what is very impressive is that GEGL remembers where the selection is applied.

In this picture the Edge Detect filter (Edge) and a orton glow filter (Bloom) are both on the same layer and selections
that were made with Gimp's Rectangle Select tool are remembered.
Attachment:
select_tool_nde.png
select_tool_nde.png [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 8417 times ]

Last edited by contrast_ on Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: I'm using non-destructive GEGL filters because I built Gimp 2.99.1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:03 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/10559

Non-destructive editing has a bug where it does not remember the previous color of a filter when you go back to editing it. I reported it above and wrote.

In example I start a non-destructive GEGL Drop Shadow and change its default color from black to red, when I go to re-edit it it will go back to being black. This can be worked around by loading the most recent preset (to bring the red back) but I still this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Example of GEGL Effects non-destructive and editable.
Attachment:
effects_NDE.png
effects_NDE.png [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 8408 times ]

When edited it goes back to its default colors

Attachment:
default_color_reset_during_edit.png
default_color_reset_during_edit.png [ 1.28 MiB | Viewed 8408 times ]

This can be fixed by running a recent preset obviously.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:15 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Here is an example of individual non-destructive effects in the special Gimp 2.99.17 build. I used color overlay, my plugin bevel and two drop shadows. You can learn more about individual effects and how to use them in Gimp 2.10 (destructively) here
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20507

Attachment:
indie_effects.png
indie_effects.png [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 8405 times ]

Bevel is blended with the blend mode "grain merge" but it doesn't show that.

Here is it being edited.
Attachment:
editable_fun.png
editable_fun.png [ 1016.44 KiB | Viewed 8405 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:45 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I just realized something I cannot apply a filter in the middle of other effects without applying on top it and moving it down.
In example lets say these two filters are in a non-destructive Gimp layer GEGL Graph

gaussian-blur
bloom

and I want to put cubism in the middle for whatever reason.

I first have to do

cubism
gaussian-blur
bloom

then move it down one.

gaussian-blur
cubism
bloom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:05 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

It is interesting how Gimp's team made non-destructive editing in Gimp 2.99.17. The usual glitches that exist in Gimp's GEGL Graph are not present here.

Let me explain what is going on. In a nutshell each "layer effect" or "smart filter" whatever you want to call it is a GEGL graph of its own. Here is a pic of all the effects.
Attachment:
each_effect_is_a_graph.png
each_effect_is_a_graph.png [ 248.75 KiB | Viewed 8378 times ]

This text style can be written in GEGL syntax the usual way I do it like with a median-blur radius=0 to reset the GEGL graph from bugs.
gaussian-blur std-dev-x=3 std-dev-y=3
color-overlay value=green
id=1  gimp:layer-mode layer-mode=grain-merge aux=[ ref=1 emboss  ]
opacity value=10
median-blur radius=0
dropshadow x=0 y=0 opacity=0.9 color=black

But this is how Gimp's team does it in non-destructive editing. They use a way to separate graphs entirely.

gegl:gegl string=" gaussian-blur std-dev-x=3 std-dev-y=3 "
separator
gegl:gegl string=" color-overlay value=green "
separator
gegl:gegl string=" id=1  gimp:layer-mode layer-mode=grain-merge aux=[ ref=1 emboss  ]"
seperator
gegl:gegl string=" opacity value=10 "
seperator
gegl:gegl string=" dropshadow x=0 y=0 opacity=0.9 color=black"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:14 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

This is really really NICE! I am so looking forward to trying it.

Post subject: Re: I'm using non-destructive GEGL filters because I built CMYKS's Gim
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:17 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Here is a video of my plugin "glossy balloon" being used as a brush.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GIMP/comments/ ... imp_build/

Attachment:
video_image_preview.png
video_image_preview.png [ 315.47 KiB | Viewed 8317 times ]

Download to Glossy Balloon is here but note it is destructive in Gimp 2.10 and normal 2.99
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/GEGL-glo ... xt-styling

Post subject: Re: I'm using non-destructive GEGL filters because I built CMYKS's Gim
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:13 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/10563

I filed a new bug for 2.99 NDE build here about missing features.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:38 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

My bash plugin that calls GMIC and AIs is not capable of working proper in CMYK students Gimp 2.99.17 unless it is the first effect applied. This is because the bash plugin makes a image file copy of the layer, it does not make an image copy of the original image before the effects were applied. And even if it did do that it would cancel other effects. In this case the bash plugin uploads /tmp/out.png and if other effects are removed they will still be present because the bash plugin loaded a static image file showing when the now removed effects are still present. In example lets say we have.

Bash to call GMIC and AI
Saturation

Bash loads a copy of the layer with saturation. If saturation is removed from the "layer effects" list it will still be present in the /tmp/out.png that is loaded. If the problem was in reverse loading GEGL bash would cancel all other effects that came before it and remove saturation. There is no way to solve this problem.

However once again if it is like

dct-denoise
saturation
bloom
unsharp-mask
bash to call GMIC and AI

things will work fine because the Bash plugin is at the bottom of the list. This is a natural consequence of how the bash filter works and it is not a bug. Just something I didn't expect. The only way this could be fixed is if we find a way to caculate GMIC filters and AIs which would be ALOT MORE DIFFICULT THEN EXPORTING A PNG FILE.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:15 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/GIMP/comments/ ... e_editing/

I just posted a 9 minute video (8 minutes and 50 seconds minutes actually) of me editing non-destructive in Gimp on Reddit.
I am editing a picture of my old family cat and using native Gimp filters like (curves, saturation, gaussian blur) and my plugins GEGL Effects and Sparkle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:25 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Filters cannot be individually disabled yet, but they can be "hack-disabled" by setting them to the behind blend mode.

I guess this won't work on images with transparency and filters that generate rendered fills (like cell noise and spiral). In that case set their opacity to 0.

Attachment:
disable_hack.png
disable_hack.png [ 778.55 KiB | Viewed 8288 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:09 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Here is my plugin "Glass Metallic Marble" being ran with curves on top of it. Curves cannot be ran inside GEGL Graph so this is an interesting thing I have going on.

Attachment:
curves_on_plugin.png
curves_on_plugin.png [ 374.87 KiB | Viewed 8226 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:23 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

The same "layer effects" from this image were applied to two other images by selecting and deleting the coffee girl and merging a floating point on the layer she was on.
Attachment:
coffee_girl_treat.png
coffee_girl_treat.png [ 478.61 KiB | Viewed 8177 times ]

These two images below take the "layer effects" that were on the girl.

Attachment:
red_shirt_man_treat.png
red_shirt_man_treat.png [ 265.56 KiB | Viewed 8177 times ]

Attachment:
statue_treat.png
statue_treat.png [ 466.72 KiB | Viewed 8177 times ]

Post subject: Re: CMYK Student's non-destructive Gimp build in use by me.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:20 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

For those that like adjustment layers (i.e, non-destructive editing), this is cool. I'm a gonzo editor so to each his/her own. Still, cool stuff, contrast_. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:22 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Here is me applying Kalidescope, Hue rotation, Gaussian Blur and Sharpen together as "layer effects".

Attachment:
non_destructive_edits.png
non_destructive_edits.png [ 500.08 KiB | Viewed 7971 times ]

I'm surprised this thread isn't exploding in popularity considering all the hype with non-destructive editing in Gimp 3.2.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:12 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

It has exploded into popularity with me - I'm fixated on it - but until I can get an appimage, I can't really join in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:35 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian No worries! Unless something really bad happens, this feature is scheduled to be included in the 2.99.18 release which should becoming out in roughly a week or so. It's been great seeing how _contrast has made use of this in their work and demos!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:48 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

CmykStudent wrote:
Erisian No worries! Unless something really bad happens, this feature is scheduled to be included in the 2.99.18 release which should becoming out in roughly a week or so. It's been great seeing how _contrast has made use of this in their work and demos!

so glad to hear, I didn't know that! But it is cool knowing I am a week ahead of everyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:46 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

ok, I just confirmed that my bash plugin that can call AI and GMIC filters does not allow editable text with CMYK Student's build. If you try to edit the text it shows the text box but no matter what you type nothing happens. It only shows the original text that the filter was applied on. The reason why this happens is obvious, because the text is an imported png from GMIC or whatever other app outside of Gimp. GEGL text is editable because GEGL is actively running on the text layer. The imported bash command is just GEGL importing a png from the /tmp/ folder.

Attachment:
bash_filter_fail_text_editing.png
bash_filter_fail_text_editing.png [ 323.24 KiB | Viewed 7799 times ]