It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GEGL Text Styling effects on individual Gimp layers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:39 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

In a nutshell this entire thread is to provide resources for the co-plugins that ship with my layer effects engine (GEGL Effects) and similar plugins that don't ship with it. The discussion here is layer effects on individual layers; as opposed to applying all effects on one layer. Attached is a guide and downloads to plugins.

Attachment:
preview.png
preview.png [ 420.21 KiB | Viewed 18402 times ]

Attachment:
preview2.png
preview2.png [ 246.27 KiB | Viewed 18402 times ]

Hello, this is a resource page listing GEGL/Gimp plugins of mine that apply text styling effects on individual layers. In example,the outline and shadow are both layers of their own as opposed to
being applied all at once in the same layer. Another example is a bevel as a "bump map" layer that is fused with a blend mode on plain text to generate its effect. This is NOT the case with
my GEGL Effects layer effects engine that applies all effects in one layer.

--Every plugin I listed below is included in this download, and you can see its Github page of origin--

Bevel (ships with GEGL effects)
Generates a bevel bump map that should blend with a layer below it. Try blend modes like Grain Merge,
and Hard light, Multiply and the opacity meter for optimal results.

Inner Glow (ships with GEGL effects)
Generates an Inner drop shadow that replaces the original image, put it on a layer on top. Try many
blend modes with it. Grain Merge with tropical colors look nice.

Glass Over Text (ships with GEGL effects)
Generates a shine effects from the brightest pixels of a special emboss. This goes on the top layer.
This works best with the normal blend mode, but don’t be afraid to try others.

LINK TO ALL FOUR EFFECTS ABOVE HERE.
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/GEGL-Eff ... /releases/

GEGL SSG
-stands for “stroke shadow glow”
A knock out original image version of Gimp’s drop shadow filter that starts as a outline. This can be put
on a layer above or below. Normal is its default blend.
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/GEGL-SSG ... /releases/

Layer Shadow
This generates a drop shadow all by itself that can be moved using Gimp’s move tool. Blend it with
whatever, but normal is the default. It is not “knocked out” like SSG. It can also make a fill outline and
glow.
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/GEGL-Dro ... r/releases

Aura
Generate a shadow/glow with a random flame seed. This is like SSG and Inner Glow together with a
random flame generator. Normal is its default blend mode, though try others.
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/GEGL-Aura-/releases

If you are using Gimp 2.10.32 all plugins will be in GEGL Operations in the drop down list.

On Gimp 2.99 they will be in the main menu under Filters>Text Styling.

If you already have an older version of GEGL Effects, this will update you to the latest verison.

If you already have any of these binaries, overwrite all of them with the latest versions.

WARNING - If you are using the experimental branch of my GEGL Layer Effects engine this will downgrade you
to the August 1st Stable build. If that is the case, only grab the binaries "outerglow" "ssg" and "layershadow"
and ignore everything else, as downloading any other binary could cause you to downgrade to the normal
version of GEGL Effects.

Download here includes binaries, a short pdf guide and the source code of all these plugins.
Attachment:
plugins_download_with_code.zip [2.89 MiB]
Downloaded 197 times

--LOCATION TO PUT BINARIES--

**Windows**

C:\Users\(USERNAME)\AppData\Local\gegl-0.4\plug-ins

**Linux**

/home/(USERNAME)/.local/share/gegl-0.4/plug-ins

**Linux (Flatpak includes Chromebook)**

/home/(USERNAME)/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/data/gegl-0.4/plug-ins

So, none of these plugins are new. Let me know what you guys think or show screenshots of the plugins in action if you want. They also have their own threads here.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20239
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19921&start=20
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19987&hilit=innerglow
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20386&p=279694#p279694

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GEGL Text Styling effects on individual Gimp layers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:58 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

The importance of this thread is paramount. Look how my GEGL plugins are applying on individual layers in Gimp
while fusing with blend modes

Attachment:
effects_on_individual_layers.png
effects_on_individual_layers.png [ 514.64 KiB | Viewed 11516 times ]

Attachment:
effects_without_subject.png
effects_without_subject.png [ 220.82 KiB | Viewed 11516 times ]

The same thing can even be done in CMYK Student's build all in one layer by using the default blend modes switcher that all GEGL filters have. Though for some reason Gimp 2.99 crashes when a filter users a uploaded image file.
Attachment:
cmyk_build.png
cmyk_build.png [ 389.92 KiB | Viewed 11516 times ]

The image of the Brenda (the asian lady) can have its background layer unchecked, saved as an xcf, and it can be pasted or imported into any other composition like a smart object in Photoshop/Pixelitor.

Last edited by contrast_ on Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:14 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Nope not on a new layer, but the effect applies on the layer itself (aura, Bevel, etc... Idontrecall) and I downloaded from this page (the zip you did made) ;)
At least, with GIMP 2.10.34

EDIT: and the Chrome filter does not work anymore now, it's my favorite one :cry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:56 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Apply the effect on a duplicate layer of the transparent image and change its blend mode (using Gimp layers). If chrome text broke it is likely because a binary here is dated that broke it. You can fix it by updating to the latest chrome text on Github

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:10 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

PixLab wrote:
Nope not on a new layer, but the effect applies on the layer itself (aura, Bevel, etc... Idontrecall) and I downloaded from this page (the zip you did made) ;)

EDIT: and the Chrome filter does not work anymore now, it's my favorite one :cry

Make a duplicate of a transparent image then apply the effect on the duplicate layer.

Attachment:
effects_individual_layer.png
effects_individual_layer.png [ 869.21 KiB | Viewed 11468 times ]

Lastly, you can save the transparent turtle composition with blend modes as an .xcf and "open as layers" in another composition inside a layer group set to pass through and it will mimic a "smart object" in Photoshop.

Attachment:
smart_object_like_workflow.png
smart_object_like_workflow.png [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 11465 times ]

Unrelated to this workflow, Chrome text was likely effected by an update to a dependency. You can fix it by downloading the latest version.
https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/GEGL---C ... ing-Filter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:40 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Look what I am doing to a duplicate layer of the bear. I'm making the "outline layer" that goes above the original image of the bear.

Attachment:
ssg_duplicate_bear.png
ssg_duplicate_bear.png [ 205.4 KiB | Viewed 11464 times ]

The original image of the bear is "Subject R copy #2" everything else is effects and fill and gradient blends applied above and below it.
Attachment:
bear_effects_awesome.png
bear_effects_awesome.png [ 400.57 KiB | Viewed 11464 times ]

If this was CMYK Student's build (its not) we could go back and edit the effects individually, but at least we can change the color using Gimp's alpha channel lock (then dragging a new color) and the "GEGL SHadow" layer can be manipulated with Gimp's move tool to change the position of the shadow. I did that intentionally while making the plugin.
Attachment:
teddy_bear_fun.png
teddy_bear_fun.png [ 293.73 KiB | Viewed 11464 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:49 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

PixLab wrote:

I don't think chrome should have broke as non of these binaries depend on it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:47 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

OK, you do need to duplicate first the original, the layer with the opaque, because your filter will erase all the opaque, and let only the effect, now I understand :yes :bigthup

Or... I found out that you can keep the original image/opaque instead of duplicating it and wait that the filter finishes to "remove" all opaque then right click > new from visible :hehe :mrgreen:

for the Chrome I did download on your github and it's working again, thanks :bigthup

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:36 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

PixLab wrote:
OK, you do need to duplicate first the original, the layer with the opaque, because your filter will erase all the opaque, and let only the effect, now I understand :yes :bigthup

Or... I found out that you can keep the original image/opaque instead of duplicating it and wait that the filter finishes to "remove" all opaque then right click > new from visible :hehe :mrgreen:

for the Chrome I did download on your github and it's working again, thanks :bigthup

Wow, Doing "New from visible" worked and I never knew that. I will explore editing using that technique. But it won't work if the composition has image data in the layers below because it will copy that image data with it. The ideal solution would be if Gimp made a new layer for what GEGL was doing. Currently we can't do that and Gimp's team has no plans to implement that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:46 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Yes if you have more layers underneath they will be visible, that's the drawback (nothing is perfect ;) )... unless you make them non visible (you can even if the filter is active, the whole layers' dialog is accessible)

In the end it's a balance if you want a new layer with an applied filter without losing the original, and a balance between the time you spend to make non visible the ones you don't want to see or just duplicate the layer to apply the effect :puzzled

But... may be you could use it/program it IN your GEGL filters? :hehe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:31 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I cannot make a GEGL filter that modifies/hides Gimp layers below or functions as a "Clip to layer" composition mode.

Speaking of "clip to layer". Clip to Layer in Gimp solves the problem of layers below (hiding their image data) but nothing solves the problem of image data from layers above.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:04 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

contrast_ wrote:
I cannot make a GEGL filter that modifies/hides Gimp layers below or functions as a "Clip to layer" composition mode.

Speaking of "clip to layer". Clip to Layer in Gimp solves the problem of layers below (hiding their image data) but nothing solves the problem of image data from layers above.

Oh.. OK, thanks for the explanations :bigthup