It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I have no clue how to organize my Github when new plugins update
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:10 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Let's say my plugins on Github "inner glow" or "bevel" updates to a newer version.

Now I have to update 10 or some other Github repos that use those plugins as dependencies with the latest .c file and compiled binaries manually. I don't know how to run Github through a cli and even if I did, how would I update all .c files and binaries for every repo I have?

Any suggestions how I can speed up this process?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: I have no clue how to organize my Github when new plugins update
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:46 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Since Microsoft bought GitHub I haven't used a cli. I do everything with a mouse on the site. 3 factor authentication is a pain :(
If your plugins have dependencies you may have to do 'versioning'.

Not much help on the last part of the question. Deleting and replacing should be faster without a cli if you are well organized and don't make mistakes :)

Post subject: Re: I have no clue how to organize my Github when new plugins update
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:51 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

In theory In Git you can have sub projects that are actually other Git repos. But I don't know how you handle that on Github, and professionally I had at least one project where the whole repo was completely FUBAR because of problems with sub-projects.

You are efficient in Git only if you use the CLI or your IDE. The web thingy is only for trivial interactions (updating the readme...). When you are the only one on a project you only need to know "git commit" and perhaps "git tag". Then you only copy the .c files to each project (with a script or else) and then "git commit" each project (if you are in Linux or a Mac, you can instead make a links so the very same files appears in all projects , but you have to make sure that your editor/IDE handle this properly).

The real question is why you have several projects if you have dependencies across your code. Keeping the code and the publication to end users separate is always a good idea, so you can have a single project that houses all your filters, and distribute them via another site. A long time ago I wondered about distributing my scripts via Github/Gitlab and eventually decided against this.