It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water Effect Script Request
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:35 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I would like to see a script based on the youtube tutorial done by xgeous creating the water text effect . The ones I've seen have a tile background added drops and no way to delete layers or adjust very much. Just a simple script with a preview window and some sliders for depth, shadow, inner shadow, inner glow, highlight, light direction and intensity. I think this would be a great addition to be able to use it for any kind of shape and not just text similar to what has been done with the Glass Text script becoming just a Glass Effect script. I wanted to make aomething that looked like syrup or honey so some way to incorporate a color or gradient might be helpful. I can see this becoming a quite complex script.

Are there too many variables to make it worthwhile and would anyone willing to take this on? At least make it so that it only does the text and not all the additional stuff or maybe just an option for background and an option for the droplets.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Water Effect Script Request
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:39 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Founder

I'm not sure if this is the one you are referring to but it produces a very nice water text effect. It keeps the various elements in individual layers and has a few settings to tweak.

http://gimpscripts.com/2011/10/liquid-w ... xt-effect/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:44 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I'm not sure but I think that's the one I don't like because you can't turn off the background, just the droplets. There's no way to control the direction of the light source either. I know there's one in File>Create>Logos and I think there's another one just like it that show's up under Filters>Alpha to Logo or somewhere else. Neither one have hardly any controls and only work on text.

Last edited by Draconian on Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:49 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Founder

With this script, you can turn the water droplets off and it keeps the various elements in individual layers so you can dump the background if you want. Many logo scripts, including this one, allows you to create the effect from user input text: Menu File/Create/Logos or from an alpha selection: Menu Filters/Alpha to Logo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:54 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
With this script, you can turn the water droplets off and it keeps the various elements in individual layers so you can dump the background if you want.

:ninja I looked at the script you posted and it looks like the one I have but I don't see any option for keeping the layers.

Attachments:
water.jpg
water.jpg [ 11.57 KiB | Viewed 5948 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:56 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Founder

It doesn't flatten so the raw layers remain intact. I end up with 7 layers upon completion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:14 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Duh.....guess I could look in the layers dialog. That helps a little but still doen't negate the purpose of my request. For instance:

1. I can turn the Highlight up or down but cannot control the width like using Layer Effects>Inner Shadow
2. I see now you can change the background but you would have to do the displacement step separately and there is no original text layer to do an Alpha to Selection to get a selection.
3. No way to control the depth of the bump map.
4. It still only works with text.

Yada yada yada

The Layer Effects script (not the one in FX Foundry but the one that shows up under Layers) had many, many controls in each category very similar to Photoshop and lends itself to an extremely wide variety of settings and adjustments. I'm looking for a water effect script that allows you to REALLY adjust the variables.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:36 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Founder

Draconian wrote:
1. I can turn the Highlight up or down but cannot control the width like using Layer Effects>Inner Shadow
2. I see now you can change the background but you would have to do the displacement step separately and there is no original text layer to do an Alpha to Selection to get a selection.
3. No way to control the depth of the bump map.
4. It still only works with text.

Well, It's not just for text. It does work fine with alpha to selection. Just draw on a transparent layer (or manually create text), then run from Menu Filters/Alpha to logo.

If you REALLY want full control over lighting, just change the lighting plug-in to interactive.

Lines 145 and line 159 - Changed the first 1 to 0. Save and refresh the script.

You can also run the bump-map plug-in interactively. Change lines: 141, 142 & 163 : the first TRUE change to FALSE. Save and refresh script.

I'll go ahead and attach the script with the above modifications. This will give you maximum flexibility.

I can modify the script to add in user defined values for some of the various parameters but you still won't have the nearly control that you'll have by running those plug-ins interactively. :bigthup

The problem with running interactive is that you REALLY have full control. :lol

Rather than running the plug-ins interactively, you might prefer to just have a few user inputs for various settings. If there are any specific changes you need, like the depth of the bump map, let us know and I'm sure I (or someone else who is available) can accommodate. Make a list of what parameters you'd like to control. Keep in mind that we only have one page of user inputs to work with in Script-fu.

This script already works pretty well and there's no need to re-invent the wheel if you don't need to. A few more input parms might fit the bill. :hehe

Attachments:
File comment: Liquid Water with Lighting & Bump Map Set to Interactive mode
Liquid_Water.0.3.scm [10.04 KiB]
Downloaded 316 times

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:14 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

OK, you must either have a different script or the script you posted has some of these changes in it already. I'll install that puppy and take a look. Sounds like there are simpler ways to acheive the results/tweeks I want to make. I definitely don't subscribe to the "reinvent the wheel" mentality. I've never even thought about trying to change anything in a script. Way to new to gimp to try that but you're beginning to convince me thatis the route to go.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:15 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Tux. :)
The one i have in my scripts is listed as 0.4?
This one is 0.3
Is it okay to place both in there?

Furthermore neither script allows me to use alpha to logo for some reason.
(it isn't listed in the menus Filters/Alpha to logo)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:39 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Is there any way to control those plain white splots? I turned the lightiing down to zero. but that didn't help. All the drops that are bump-mapped and shadowed look great but the white splots just look like dabs of paint.

Great script though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:06 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Thanks Tux. :)
The one i have in my scripts is listed as 0.4?
This one is 0.3
Is it okay to place both in there?

Furthermore neither script allows me to use alpha to logo for some reason.
(it isn't listed in the menus Filters/Alpha to logo)

I can't get the alpha to Logo to work either. It crashes when it gets to the bumpmap. Rod & I are both Win XP SP3 users with 2.6.11.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:23 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

I don't even have it (Filters > Alpha to Logo > Liquid Water)
It isn't listed anywhere except FX Foundry > Logos > Liquid Water .
And even that one doesn't allow a selection to effect parameter.

Create > New > Logo >Liquid water and
FX Foundry > Logos > Liquid Water are the same it seems.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:30 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

FOUND IT!!
xts-demartin-liquid-water.scm was the culprit. :)
I removed that duplicate script and i now have Filters > Alpha to Logo > Liquid Water.
However it still will not allow me to effect a selection i make.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:37 pm  (#15) 
Global Moderator

I removed the one called Xtns-demartin-liquid-water.scm from FX-Foundry and now the liquid-water-0.3.scm doesn't work...I did get an error " Liquid-Water Warning Error while executing script-fu-liquid-water-logo-alpha"
Now I don't know if I should put back the previous one or not. Dialog below.

Last edited by molly on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:48 pm  (#16) 
Global Moderator

Not that I am complaining, but this leaves a real jagged edge on all the text and water splotches. Which makes me wonder why blur isn't used to tidy it up, instead just for the bump effect.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:57 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Mine is in FX-Foundry Rod, should I remove it from there? I have that one you posted but it is xtns-demartin-liquid-water.scm

I stand corrected Molly mine is also that same name "xtns" not "xts" TYPO!
If i were you i would remove both and try one at a time.See which one you like best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:06 pm  (#18) 
Global Moderator

I revised my last post Rod, the one above yours. Does your dialog look the same as the one I posted?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:54 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Yes it does.
On both dialogs
Alpha to Logo and create new.
I am using the Liquid Water-0.3 (updated)
It works excellent although it still will not allow me my own selection effects...strange.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:11 pm  (#20) 
Global Moderator

that is strange, I get the dialog box and I click ok when I am happy with the settings then nothing happens. Did you leave the both scripts in there?