It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Logo Workshop - Release Candidate V.04
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:36 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Founder

This script has been replaced with Logo Toolbox

I haven't released a new script in several years so I decided write a modular logo script I call "Logo Workshop".

The goal is to create a versatile logo script that's easily expandable to include new functions and effects.

With all the talent we have here on Gimp Chat, I'm hoping other members and script writers will get involved with suggestions and assist in developing new features and effects. As it stands now, the script is fairly basic but the framework is in place to allow easy integration of new modules and effects.

You can run the script from File/Create/Logos (gimpchat.com) or from Filters/Alpha To Logo, depending on whether you are starting from scratch (File/Create) or you will be starting with an image and related alpha channel (Alpha to logo).

Currently, the script produces several layers including, a logo layer, a fill layer, a stroke layer, a shadow layer and optional effects layers.

The stroke and shadow layers are configurable from the input dialog, with the fill layer currently supporting 3 types of fills: color fill, pattern fill and gradient fill. The colors for "color fill" and stroke color are also specified in the initial script dialog.

The script will use GIMP's currently selected patten and gradient for the "Pattern fill" and "Gradient fill" operations.

There is also a bevel option. Setting the bevel depth to a value greater than zero will bevel the logo layer by that amount. Set bevel to zero for no beveling.

Setting the stroke width to zero will direct Logo Workshop not to generate a stroke layer.

Setting the shadow opacity to zero will direct Logo Workshop not to generate a shadow layer.

Currently, eight effects have been included in the "Added Effect" section.

1) Pattern bump map layer: The bump pattern is selected on the input screen and is separate from the fill pattern. When "Bump with Pattern" is selected and the bump depth is greater than zero, the script will add an additional logo layer that is bump mapped with the Bump Pattern.

2) Gloss layer: Adds a gloss layer per Rods suggestion. The width of the gloss layer is controlled by "Added Effect depth"

3) Translucent/Glass Layer: This code was lifted directly from the Glass Effect Text Script (obsoleting that script). To create a standard glass layer, set bevel to 0, stroke to 0 and use a color or gradient fill. Glass depth is controlled by "Added Effect Depth" with a depth of 1-2 being about right. Of course, you can get some interesting and unexpected effects by experimenting with these values. ;)

4) Double Stroke - The color and size of the inner stroke is controlled using stroke color and stroke width in the initial dialog. The outer stroke is an offset using the background of the logo layer as the stroke. The offset/outer stroke width is controlled via "effect depth"

5) Double bevel performs a 2nd bevel inside the 1st bevel to achieve the effect of more depth. Both operations use the same bevel depth specified in the initial dialog.

6) Cubism effect is applied to the fill layer. Adjust effect depth setting to control the cubism effect.

7) Oilify effect is applied to the fill layer. Adjust effect depth setting to control the oilify effect.

8) Plasma effect is applied to the fill layer. Adjust effect depth setting to control the plasma effect.

Here are a just a few basic examples of what can be done with the Logo Workshop. More detailed examples are are displayed throughout this thread.

Standard Color Fill With Bevel

Color Fill with Stone Pattern Bump Map

Pattern Fill

Gradient Fill

Another Gradient Fill

Bump Mapped Brick Pattern

Alpha To Logo Example

Double Stroke

Offset Stroke (via double stroke)

Double Bevel (more depth)

Double Bevel Shiny

Plasma Fill

I'm hoping others will contribute some code or ideas for more "Added Effects". Just post any bugs, suggestions or script updates/additions to this thread and I'll get Logo Workshop updated and re-attached.

Thanks and I hope everyone finds it useful.

; ---------------
;| Change Log |
; ---------------
; RC 0.01 - Initial Release Candidate
; RC 0.02 - Code clean-up, keep user selection, more descriptive variable names, eliminate tabs from source
; Add gloss layer and glass layer
; RC 0.03 - All elements on separate layers, Stroke to path implemented, allow shadow to be toggled off
; RC 0.04 - Dumped stroke to path, code optimization, dialog tweak, double stroke, double bevel, added
; three new effects (cubism, olify & plasma) to fill layer, proper layer arrangement
;
;

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Logo Workshop - Release Candidate V.01
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:45 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Wow, that is great. I grabbed it and it is already installed, thanks Tux.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:57 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Fan-freakin-tastic! Great job 'Tux. I like the way you added the versatility to it based on our conversations from the water effects script thread. I'm guessing the "undo" is built-in as well. I'll get a lot of use out of this one. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:06 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

I wanted to test out my new font and new script at the same time. I will do some more experimenting with the filter later, love it so far.

Last edited by molly on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:09 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Founder

Thanks Molly. That's looking good.

I did keep in mind our discussion on the water effect script, Drac. There's not a lot of undo functions because everything is on a separate layer but you can easily undo the Alpha to Logo operation in one undo so experimenting will be easy.

Also, if you need more control over the Bump Map, I've made it easy to modify the script.

You'll find this starting at line 124..

;
; Call bump map plug-in
;
   (plug-in-bump-map
                     1              ; Interactive (0), non-interactive (1)
                     img            ; Input image
                     effect-layer   ; Input drawable
                     bump-pat       ; Bumpmap drawable
                     130            ; Azimuth (float)
                     55             ; Elevation (float)
                     bdep           ; Depth
                     0              ; X offset
                     0              ; Y offset
                     0              ; Level that full transparency should represent
                     0              ; Ambient lighting factor
                     TRUE           ; Compensate for darkening
                     FALSE          ; Invert bumpmap
                     LINEAR)        ; Type of map (0=linear, 1=spherical, 2=sinusoidal)
      )
    ) ; Endif Pattern Bump
;

Just make the changes you need, save the script and go to Filters/Script-Fu/Refresh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:23 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

This has limitless potential.

Wish I knew more about coding.

I'd like to see the results with an inner shadow option and an offset option.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:29 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

One thing I noticed. I picked a pattern to use and it keeps using the pine wood grain, no matter which one I select. I had a canvas pattern selected for the cat above.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:36 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Founder

Molly, select the patten you want for the logo "pattern fill" in GIMP. The patten you select in the pop-up dialog is only used for the bump map effect layer. That way, you can have one pattern for the fill and another for the bump map.

Mike wrote:
I'd like to see the results with an inner shadow option and an offset option.

Thanks for the good suggestions, Mike! An inner shadow sounds like nice enhancement. I'm running out of space on the Text Input Screen but there's more space available on the Alpha to Logo Screen. It depends on screen resolution as to how much space one has. I have had to increase my screen resolution to run some scripts, where their pop-up dialog is off the screen. I wish script-fu allowed for multiple columns or a multi-page entry screen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:53 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

One more ... wish I had more time to play with this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:54 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

I have the canvas fill selected and here is what I get.
My settings:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:16 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:
I have the canvas fill selected and here is what I get.

Use the GIMP patterns tab to select the logo fill pattern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:24 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
I did keep in mind our discussion on the water effect script, Drac. There's not a lot of undo functions because everything is on a separate layer but you can easily undo the Alpha to Logo operation in one undo so experimenting will be easy.

Also, if you need more control over the Bump Map, I've made it easy to modify the script.

Thanks a bunch 'Tux. I haven't played with it yet but you know I will. BTW...check out my "cool site" post. You may just find your next avatar there. They have a lot of penguins.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:35 am  (#13) 
Script Coder

(cond ((= etype 0)
            (gimp-context-set-foreground logo-color)            ; Set logo color
       (gimp-edit-bucket-fill logo-layer 0 0 100 0 0 0 0)  ; Fill with color
          )
          ((= etype 1)
       (gimp-edit-bucket-fill logo-layer 2 0 100 0 0 0 0)  ; Fill with pattern
     )
          (else
          (gimp-edit-blend logo-layer CUSTOM NORMAL LINEAR 100 0 0 FALSE TRUE 3 0.20 TRUE 0 0 0 height) ;Gradient
     )
    )

So for a pattern fill, you have to have selected the pattern to fill BEFORE running the script? because the script doesn't set the fill pattern before calling
(gimp-edit-bucket-fill logo-layer 2 0 100 0 0 0 0)  ; Fill with pattern

and it helps readability if you could use the PATTERN-BUCKET-FILL constant instead of the magic number "2"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:21 am  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Thanks Tux, I had the added effect checked as NONE. I also didn't realize that when you select a pattern it is going to take on that color, not the one you have chosen at the top, I was wondering why my cat wasn't turning into the color I had chosen. So really, when you are choosing a pattern you don't need to fill in that top color. All is well, great script. :teeth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:30 am  (#15) 
Retired Staff

Very cool. :cool

Can a selection choice be made in the script? Like do alpha to selection on something and have the script fill in the selection?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:48 am  (#16) 
Retired Staff

paynekj wrote:
So for a pattern fill, you have to have selected the pattern to fill BEFORE running the script?
No, you can choose the fill pattern AFTER you start the script.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:24 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

OK, my 15 bean soup is simmering and the whole wheat & oatmeal muffins are made so I finally had a chance to play with this script and the possibilities ARE endless. I Love it!

Here's a couple of quickies. On the second one I Gaussian blurred the drop shadow, selected the stroke layer, did Alpha to Selection and ran Neon, and then Glossy Stroke.

Attachments:
Logo_Workshop.png
Logo_Workshop.png [ 175.61 KiB | Viewed 925 times ]
Animal.png
Animal.png [ 338.93 KiB | Viewed 925 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:44 pm  (#18) 
Global Moderator

Made my GIMP crash, using the File - Create - Logo Workshop. Rebooting now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:24 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Oh,my....Love the script Gnutux :) Thanks for sharing it :tyspin

My Flickr
http://anaplus.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:38 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Hey Tux how about adding an adjustable gloss selection. :)
I created a new layer from the text selection shrank by 6 and filled with white.Then set the opacity real low.

I suppose blur could also be added to feather it a bit.