It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compiling & Installing GIMP GAP in GNU Linux
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:10 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Founder

I'm posting this here for future reference and for those who might need some direction when compiling GAP in Linux. While this thread is focused on Fedora 17, the same steps should apply to most Linux distributions.

The following should be installed before starting the compile/install process.
----------------
autogen
automake
make
intltool
glib2-devel
gdb
gcc
nasm
yasm
gimp-devel
gimp-devel-tools
pkgconfig
gettext
intltool
x264-libs
x264-devel
libjpeg-devel
xvidcore
xvidcore-devel
bzip2
bzip2-devel
faac
faac-devel
faad2
faad2-devel
lame
lame-devel
lame-mp3x
twolame-libs

Download the zip archive of the latest GIMP GAP development version from github.

Extract the zip archive and open a terminal in the folder where you extracted the archive.

Close down GIMP.

As a normal user, enter the following command from the command line prompt in the open terminal session (autogen creates and executes the configuration script ./configure ).

./autogen.sh

If you are using Fedora 17, you'll need to patch the Makefile.in as follows.

Navigate to the gap folder and edit the file: Makefile.in.
Note: Ensure you edit Makefile.in located in the gap folder, not the Makefile.in located the gimp-gap folder.

Change the following line (#401 or there about) from
GIMP_LIBS = @GIMP_LIBS@
to
GIMP_LIBS = @GIMP_LIBS@ -lm
Save the changes to Makefile.in.

If you don't want to mess with those manual edits, you can just use this archive that I've already patched for Fedora 17.
Note: autogen.sh has already been ran on this archive. You should execute ./configure to ensure that you have fulfilled the prerequisites required to compile.

Attachment:
File comment: GIMP GAP Patched for Fedora 17
gimp-gap-2_7-F17-Patched.tar.bz2 [30.17 MiB]
Downloaded 990 times

The next step is to compile GAP using the following command..

make

If make completes without error, login as root (super user) and install GAP using the following command..

make install

Exit from the terminal session and start GIMP 2.8. You should now have GIMP GAP installed. :pengy
:gimp

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Compiling & Installing GIMP GAP 2.7.x In Fedora 17 Linux
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:48 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Thank you for the great instructions Tux, and the help. I now have Gap installed in my Fedora-17. :yr :coolguy

Post subject: Re: Compiling & Installing GIMP GAP 2.7.x In Fedora 17 Linux
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:53 am  (#3) 

UPDATE : GAP on Fedora 18

The above should work on Fedora 18, i think, if you do it accurately... If you are not me... An do not complicate life as it is... :)

I'm writing it for all who might have problems with reading and understanding... Like me...

I had some problems installing GAP on Fedora 18. I used a pack that is listed above - gimp-gap-2_7-F17-Patched.tar.bz2.

So after unpacking, as there is, i couldn't run the ./configure (no install.sh or something) so carelessly I've run ./autogen.sh.
Then ./configure. Ok, fine.

Then make... and we have :
(...)undefined reference to symbol 'exp@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'exp@@GLIBC_2.2.5' is defined in DSO /lib64/libm.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line
/lib64/libm.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation

when it gets to gap folder to do the make. Yes, inteligent. Now i know... No libm.so.6 linked in the Makefile... So.. as root i tried to ad -lm to GIMP_LIBS = @GIMP_LIBS@ as listed above but not in Makefile.in but just Makefile. Did not work... Do not now why. Searched the Web, came to conclusion, and did somthing like this :
as root :

gedit Makefile - IN THE gap folder (not the Makefile.in, as after autogen.sh and trying to do the make it's no use - i think, correct me if I'm wrong)
Search for :
LINK = $(CCLD) $(AM_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) $(AM_LDFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@

and change it to :
LINK = $(CCLD) $(AM_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) -lm $(AM_LDFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@

then make in the gimp-gap folder... Works fine... Then make-install... and we're home... :)

Do not know if it's stable enough. Only opened one file and checked if preview works... It did. Maybe my post will be useful for someone...

Post subject: Re: Compiling & Installing GIMP GAP in GNU Linux
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:42 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Hi GnuTux,
Just letting you know somebody made a video based on this tutorial and modified it for Ubuntu 15.10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UhZydHWwcU
I followed his written instructions below the video using the latest Gimp-GAP from GitHub and it worked!
The 'Master Videoencoder' application throws some error messages with FFMPEG and MP4 but there are plenty of other video
options that do work like like AVI, DivX and H264.
I only added one more library to that list (sudo apt-get install m4) and it's working in 2017 with Ubuntu 14.04. :pengy