It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can someone help me create a GIMP Script will Pay :)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:01 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I need a GIMP script to do these task once I have a selected area.

- Crop image based on selection.

- Resize image to scale X = 1600. If HEIGHT is greater the height == X and width gets scaled or vice versa.

- Add water mark function. I would like common option like ones found on the web. Text (image option would be cool), location (most have top left, I would like to add X pixels and Y pixels to that), opacity.

- Save Image. I would love to have a box popup and ask for a name then every image that I save it would load the last name so I can modify it like first load could be name of image (DSC0001.JPG) then I would put a new name in (my-new-name.jpg) then every new image in that session would be my-new-name.jpg but I would change my-new-name-front.jpg for the second image and the third image would then default to my-new-name-front.jpg and so on...

Then I would want to have a folder to save it too other than image source.

- Once saved I would like the option to close the image automatic.

So I would open an image use the selection tool to select my area then once I have my selection I would execute the script (a shortcut would be nice too) and repeat...

I am willing to pay for someone to create this type of script for me.

Thanks for looking
Mark

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Can someone help me create a GIMP Script will Pay :)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:25 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

@mgwalk We have a lot of good script writers in this forum and they make scripts because they enjoy it, they will not do this for money. If someone sees your post that wants to write that script, they will do it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:28 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Gimp communities are not like Photoshop communities where everything is about cash. We care about the program and like to see more advances in the program out of the heart of people, not because there is a pay check behind it.

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:30 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

That's awesome I could donate some money. Cause everyone time is worth something. So I will donate if someone would like.

Is my suggestion even possible?

Thanks
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:36 pm  (#5) 
Global Moderator

That is very nice of you to offer mgwalk but Gimp Chat is a free forum and the people in here write scripts because they enjoy it. If this script you are looking for is possible, I am sure one of them will give it a try. Just be patient because right now I don't see any of them on line but they will see your message.
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:11 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I suggest you first try the registry where there are many watermark and resize scripts.
Davids Batch Processor comes to mind
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hodsond/dbp.html
There is also BIMP
http://registry.gimp.org/node/26259

The registry url
http://registry.gimp.org

Welcome to Gimp Chat by the way. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:17 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Founder

If you have to visually crop, of course, that can't be automated. Everything else you mentioned can be done more easily using imagemagick.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:25 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
If you have to visually crop, of course, that can't be automated. Everything else you mentioned can be done more easily using imagemagick.

I just need to automate everything after the selection for the crop.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:35 pm  (#9) 
Script Coder

mgwalk wrote:
- Resize image to scale X = 1600. If HEIGHT is greater the height == X and width gets scaled or vice versa.

Could you restate this? Your expectations are not entirely clear.

mgwalk wrote:
- Save Image. I would love to have a box popup and ask for a name then every image that I save it would load the last name so I can modify it like first load could be name of image (DSC0001.JPG) then I would put a new name in (my-new-name.jpg) then every new image in that session would be my-new-name.jpg but I would change my-new-name-front.jpg for the second image and the third image would then default to my-new-name-front.jpg and so on...

FYI, such a filename interface is not possible* with Script-fu, but would be possible with Python, C, or other plug-in languages. A script's dialog would show the previously saved filename the next time the script is executed.

* Well, it's possible. It would, however, be slow and inelegant.
mgwalk wrote:

This is not really possible. Plug-ins and scripts can only close images which they themselves open. The script could mark the image as clean so that closing does not prompt the user about losing data.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:28 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

saulgoode wrote:
mgwalk wrote:

Could you restate this? Your expectations are not entirely clear.

Yes,
If the image height is greater than the image width and the height is greater than 1600. I would need the image height set to 1600 and the width scaled according to the height being 1600.
or
If the image width is greater than the image height and the width is greater than 1600. I would need the image width set to 1600 and the height scaled according to the width being 1600.

Sorry hope that is more clear.

saulgoode wrote:
mgwalk wrote:

FYI, such a filename interface is not possible* with Script-fu, but would be possible with Python, C, or other plug-in languages. A script's dialog would show the previously saved filename the next time the script is executed.

* Well, it's possible. It would, however, be slow and inelegant.

OK the naming is not needed just would be nice :) But how about auto saving into another folder (other than source location), once the cropping and scaling is done?

saulgoode wrote:
mgwalk wrote:

This is not really possible. Plug-ins and scripts can only close images which they themselves open. The script could mark the image as clean so that closing does not prompt the user about losing data.

If you can not auto close it then marking the image clean would eliminate the save before closing warning, that would be awesome. One less click/step

Thanks saulgoode for explaining the what is possible and not :)

So I vision me
1. opening a image
2. using the selection tool to select the area I would like the new image to be.
3. execute this script.

script would
1. crop my selection
2. resize it like stated above
3. save to my folder (export as jpg)

I would then
1. close image without confirming save before close.
2. repeat :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:49 am  (#11) 
Script Coder

I will provide a script which should address your work flow, though I will need a few days to do so (I have an out-of-town appointment I need to attend).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:58 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Donations in OpenSource and free code writers world are always welcome :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:17 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

saulgoode wrote:
I will provide a script which should address your work flow, though I will need a few days to do so (I have an out-of-town appointment I need to attend).

Thank you so much!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:29 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Wow, saulegood, that is very generous of you! What a good example to the rest of us!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:13 pm  (#15) 
Script Coder

Here is the script:

http://chiselapp.com/user/saulgoode/rep ... 6037b9c09b

It adds two commands to the File menu: "Mgwalk Save First..." and "Mgwalk Save Next". The first command presents a dialog which allows you to change settings such as maximum dimension, output directory, filetype, et cetera; and then saves the processed file. The second command saves the processed file using the same settings (no interaction is required). Presumably you would assign a keyboard shortcut to the "Mgwalk Save Next" command, permitting you to make your selection, press the shortcut key, and then CTRL-W to close the image.

An optional suffix can be appended to the output filename, such that "imagefile.png" might be renamed to "imagefile-RESIZED.png" or somesuch. Just set the suffix to be empty if you don't want the name changed.

I did not implement text entry of a watermark. Instead you should just create a new image containing just a text layer and save that (to a PNG file).

At present, the output is restricted to the JPEG, PNG, and XCF filetypes. The type of the original image file does not matter.

I have not done much testing on the script yet, so don't be surprised if you encounter bugs. For best results, you will need to use 2.6.11 or later version of GIMP.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:41 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

This is awesome! Thanks I will test it here soon. Please pm me your paypal email. I want to donate something.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:56 am  (#17) 
Script Coder

mgwalk wrote:
This is awesome! Thanks I will test it here soon. Please pm me your paypal email. I want to donate something.

If you find the script useful, please consider submitting a donation to http://mediagoblin.org/ (a new project that is sort of an open source flickr/deviantart/youtube). Don't feel obligated if it inconveniences you financially.

If you need adjustments to the script and can't figure out how to do them yourself, feel free to ask. The whole point of using scripts is to customize how GIMP works to your own particular needs.