It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good evening!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:54 pm  (#1) 

I have a particularly antiquated picture with very specific color limitations.
Now I want to upgrade the picture, but the colors are VERY limited and any deviation outside of a certain range of mapped colors in certain sections of the picture presents some graphic problems.

I don't know where I'd ask this. I've tried using The GIMP "Remap by color range" script, but it is limited to replacing a range with only another range, which WOULD be great, if the colors between those two chosen points could be specified.

I am looking for a script that lets me remap a color range, to a specific series of 16 colors that I predefine.

If you have an ideas, I'm all ears.
Thanks in advance! :gimp

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Good evening!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:13 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

If you have a specific palette, maybe you can just do a convert to index color with the 16 color palette. Use dither if necessary (otherwise it will look quite pixelated). :)

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:41 am  (#3) 

Unfortunately, following that procedure has one down fall.

I tested your suggestion and found I that I can not specify the color range to an area of the pic. It applies the color range to the entire picture.

I need to be able to pick the color range explicitly, and short of copying, removing, applying the color range your way, then re-inserting into the picture, there appears to be no existing tool to do this.

Otherwise, your suggestion worked. :gimp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:55 pm  (#4) 

Does anyone know someone familiar with Script Fu for GIMP I could contact? I might be able to provide some form of compensation for the work involved.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:56 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

Hi-

I had a script (poster_indexed.scm) that would posterize a selection or an image to a specified number of colours. I've modified it to have a second modes - posterize using a specified palette (in which case the colour count is ignored).

The latest version of the script is here: http://www.silent9.com/incoming/scripts ... ndexed.scm

If you have a selection, it posterizes only that selection. Otherwise it does the whole layer.

Hope it proves useful.

-Rob A>

Last edited by RobA on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:52 am  (#6) 

RobA, I tested your script and I was impressed with it's uses, however I need control of every single pixel color and your script, while it lowers the colors does not allow me to customize which colors are remaining.

Idealy, what I want to be able to do is lylejk's method, but applied to areas of a picture, instead of the whole picture. This way I can convert a range of colors on a palette separate from all other ranges then recompile them all together into a complete palette.

It wouldn't even need to actually change a palette, rather just change the colors of a selected area to a range of preselected colors, converting existing colors to other colors within a range by matching their shades and changing the color only.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:45 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

It the script does exactly what lylejk suggests. Make a selection then run the script and specify a palette in the palette picker. It will remap every colour in the selection to the closest in the specified palette.

Either I wasn't clear or I'm still missing something I your request.

Rob A.