It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best way to make greyscale gradients from flat pics for normal map
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:06 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Very good information pegleg; never seen this one before so again, I learn something new in GIMP all the time. Thanks for sharing. :)

Psalm 109:8

Post subject: Re: Best way to make greyscale gradients from flat pics for normal map
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:39 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Alan that is a fantastic tutorial! will be revising that alot!

this is actually one of the most useful tutorials ever for game programmers! will be sending it around!

the normalmap plugin has a 3d preview button, its abit unstable, although the references say... normal map is black for lowest area and white for highest, although it can be inversed. i think it was on inverse setting in the video.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:00 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Again thanks for the tut; added a few other things to smooth things some as well. Started out with one of my Dad's pumpkin carving patterns. :)

Attachments:
wicked_profile.png
wicked_profile.png [ 559.75 KiB | Viewed 3513 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:01 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

my normal maps guide sais that white is high and black is lower, and best to make the background similar shade to the edge of the bumps to have smooth bumps from background.

here is the latest normalmaps plugin for w32 with working 3d preview!!! http://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap ... -1.2.3.zip

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:17 am  (#15) 
Global Moderator

That is very nice PegLeg44. Popeye at his best. All the muscles just pop right out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:16 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan wrote:
Alan could you post an image of Popeye as it would help in following the tutorial

Here is the Popeye line art png image if anyone wants to play around with it.

And yes tuone I realize that a normalmap has to have a black background so all you would have to do is New Layer from Visible if you have multiple layers and then Color Invert to make the background black. You could actually switch the forground and background colors beforehand with a black background but I always like using a white background because I can see things better.

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:57 am  (#17) 
Global Moderator

thank you PegLeg44

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:43 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Hope you don't mind but I vectorized your popeye. If you use it though, don't forget to hollow the pipe. :)

Attachments:
1735_PopeyeLineArt.7z [5.74 KiB]
Downloaded 121 times

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:25 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Here is Popeye art 1) that I downloaded from google images and then 2) filling the selection area with the rounded gradient 3) colorizing portions of the gradient areas on a new layer with the selection being turned into a layer mask and 4) adding a background and some light airbrushing with grey and yellow to add a little more complexity.

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:37 pm  (#20) 
Global Moderator

PegLeg44. In your video, you said to add a new layer fill it with white, then turn off that layer. then when you used the blend tool, I noticed in the video you had that new layer turned on and it shows that you used the blend tool in the top layer, not the bottom. I did mine over and over and I ended up with black where it should be white and the colors didn't bulge. Should I have been using layer two with the selection on?

Anyway, I played around for a while and ended up with this. I don't even know how I ended up with a black background.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:09 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

Hi molly

Yes in the videio the new white layer needed to be turned off to see the bottom line art so that the selection could be made. You could make the layer after making the selection. You really need to have the new layer white so that when you blur after filling with the blend the alpha channel will not become see through thus feathering the edges. I did do the blend with the new white background layer selected. Maybe the theme I use seems different to what you usually use. And you should add a layer mask "from selection" to the new white layer so that you can still have the black layer beneeth the line drawing show around the edges of the blend.

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Just couldn't resist. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:41 pm  (#23) 
Global Moderator

I like that one Lyle, I can relate.
I lived in Manitoba, Canada one Winter, culture shock for a BC West Coast guy.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:03 am  (#24) 
Global Moderator

PegLeg44 wrote:
Hi molly

Yes in the videio the new white layer needed to be turned off to see the bottom line art so that the selection could be made. You could make the layer after making the selection. You really need to have the new layer white so that when you blur after filling with the blend the alpha channel will not become see through thus feathering the edges. I did do the blend with the new white background layer selected. Maybe the theme I use seems different to what you usually use. And you should add a layer mask "from selection" to the new white layer so that you can still have the black layer beneeth the line drawing show around the edges of the blend.

Alan

Thank you PegLeg44...I will give it another try.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:46 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
PegLeg44 wrote:
Hi molly

Alan

Thank you PegLeg44...I will give it another try.

molly

I just wanted to say that the example I posted with the four images- I didn't use the emboss filter on it. I only colorized and did a little soft low opacity air brushing with black and yellow to help achieve the 3D look. I air brushed inside of the layer mask. I tried to make the black appear on the right and the yellow on the left of the objects. I just kind of slapped it on really quick without really thinking about it too much.

I colorized using the pencil setting on color. I suppose you could make a new layer and set it to color layer mode too.
Alan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:24 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

PegLeg44 thx for the tutorial! Nice technique.
lylejk thx for vectorized popeye!
molly It was great your popeye! :clap :bigthup